Budget 15-20K Suggestions for an android phone

6pack

ex-Mod
I'm out of touch with tech from +10 years so please help me.

Currently have a 6+ years old redmi phone which has a dying battery. I end up charging it 3-4 times a day now.

I'm looking for a phone with these features under 20k max if possible. Open to phones costing 22-25k if there are coupons or cash back offers on ICICI Bank credit card. I don't have HDFC or SBI card so not interested in those offers.

I filled up the form to make searching harder.

1. Budget?
A: INR 15k-20k

2. Preferred display size, type and resolution?
A: IPS LCD/AMOLED, FHD and above

3. Preferred operating system? (Android (with version), iOS, etc).
A: Android 11/12/13

4. Preferred connectivity options? (4G, 3G, 2G etc).
A: 4G & 5G that works with Jio. I have only Jio sim.

5. Do you have any brand preference or dislike? Please name them.
A: Samsung or Motorola only. Only considering these two because the Chinese don't update their phones. Most of them are sell and forget types.

6. What is your intended use for this phone (internet, camera, multimedia, mails etc.)?
A: phone calls, lots of photos, messaging, internet etc.

7. Single SIM/ Dual SIM?
A: single.

8. New or Used? Online or Offline?
A: New.

9. Any other requirements?
A: Need good battery backup, 3.5mm jack, NFC. Type c port.

10. If you have already considered a phone, then please mention the model
A: (๑•﹏•)' Samsung M 32 5g or was it M52 5g & Motorola edge fusion i think. Dont know the model numbers because these companies keep putting out a new model every week/month.

I'm seeing upto 3k discount on the Samsung app on ICICI cc for some phones along with adapter at 299 so i don't mind even 22k phones. I think moto g62 or 82 or whatever it was was for 17.7k on Flipkart. I won't buy from Flipkart but will go to a mall near me and buy the Moto phone if it's cheaper than the Samsung.

Should I wait for the sale coming now?

I went to buy A52s. 5g from Reliance digital today. The sales guys told me it was oos. Their website shows in stock with delivery in 3 hours from same store. Even their sales manager said it's oos so i didn't buy it. The sales guy was pushing me to buy the A33 5g for an inflated price of around 28.9k with 4.5k discount on card whereas on their website it shows 24.9k with 1k discount on card. Was going to buy it but it didn't have always on display for such a premium phone. Camera was better than the M53 5g (on sale for 28.9k :oops:). M53 was huge next to the A33. Funny thing is the M53 has always on display. I guess all the prices are inflated because of the amount of their staff standing around doing nothing.

Btw, i saw the Samsung 55 QLED display there. Excellent screen. Extremely bright. Price was higher than Amazon as usual. Also saw robot vacuums by Eureka Forbes. I didn't see this online if I'm not mistaken.
did you end up buying a TV or a vac? many times it happens one goes to buy one thing and brings home completely different stuff :D
Is there no app that can sound some reminder at user configured regular intervals if there are pending notifications or missed calls
Tasker, and BuzzKill are available. BuzzKill is a dumbed-down version of Tasker. Paid app. The same guy who made Bouncer. If you haven't tried, get Bouncer, it's a must-have app. It used to be 70Rs.

Tasker, and BuzzKill are available. BuzzKill is a dumbed-down version of Tasker. Paid app. The same guy who made Bouncer. If you haven't tried, get Bouncer, it's a must-have app. It used to be 70Rs.
Would be simple to do this with Bixby routines except there is no 'missed call' event in Bixby.

'remind me' is the feature needed. I like the Batch feature. That is adding something very useful and also potentially battery saving.

Bit ambivalent about this one. Very positive reviews though

Last edited:
Is there no app that can sound some reminder at user configured regular intervals if there are pending notifications or missed calls
I think there is some app that does that. Shows notification dot or something. Didn't try it.

did you end up buying a TV or a vac? many times it happens one goes to buy one thing and brings home completely different stuff :D

Ha ha, no. Was tempted to buy JBL sound bar and a Logitech rgb keyboard but did not.

Tasker is too advanced for me. I'll look at buzzkill to see if it fits my purpose.

For that pricing, A53 is grossly overpriced. A52s offered good value, but Samsung killed it.

20FE is Qualcomm. It was available for 27k in the sales, if not urgent wait for another excuse for an e-comm sale, like christmas, new year, etc.

Also, check Samsung's own website, they offer good deals, sometimes better than Amazon or fk. I got a tab S8 and a phone S21FE directly from Samsung.

Should I get the s20fe (29.9k) or a53 5g (32.5k)?
S20fe has a good dac built in and is an old flagship. Probably at end of update cycle.
Android 13 being last update & average selfie cam are the cons of S20FE 5G, else a solid choice. If A53 had S778 or even Dimensity 900 (i know its inferior, but better than its exynos), would have been a good choice, even though expensive, as it will get updates till android 16.

For that pricing, A53 is grossly overpriced. A52s offered good value, but Samsung killed it.

20FE is Qualcomm. It was available for 27k in the sales, if not urgent wait for another excuse for an e-comm sale, like christmas, new year, etc.

Also, check Samsung's own website, they offer good deals, sometimes better than Amazon or fk. I got a tab S8 and a phone S21FE directly from Samsung.

How is S21FE battery life and how much it costed you.

Update: I bought the pixel 6a for 27080 or something like that. Was going to buy edge 30 first but saw lot of complaint on reddit about apps randomly closing. Then thought of buying the edge 30 fusion but here again the camera seems to take quite flat and dull pictures like there's no contrast in the images. Saw the pixel being sold at 26999 and just bought it. 108 fk security fee for the phone :oops:

Got this in my hands now. It came with Android 13 pre-installed. It's installing some security updates. I set it up without sim card just in case I need to format the device after it gets os update. (I thought it will come with Android 12 and update to 13).
The battery usage is bit high on this. It came with 75% battery and just using it for an hour the battery is kind 67% now. Looks like I'm have to charge this new phone 3-5 times a day. :(
I like that this phone has bigger screen then the redmi 5 plus and is smaller in size. Lol. It's like 1/2 cm smaller in height and a few mm less in width. Lot more easier to hold in the hand and put in jeans pocket.

Got this in my hands now. It came with Android 13 pre-installed. It's installing some security updates. I set it up without sim card just in case I need to format the device after it gets os update. (I thought it will come with Android 12 and update to 13).
The battery usage is bit high on this. It came with 75% battery and just using it for an hour the battery is kind 67% now. Looks like I'm have to charge this new phone 3-5 times a day. :(
I like that this phone has bigger screen then the redmi 5 plus and is smaller in size. Lol. It's like 1/2 cm smaller in height and a few mm less in width. Lot more easier to hold in the hand and put in jeans pocket.
Initial phone setup is a heavy task, will drain battery fast. So, you will likely not be charging the phone 3-4 times a day on normal usage.

3-4 times won't happen. for many, it was twice in the case of the 4a.

congrats & enjoy!

The adaptive battery is yet to kick in and you could see drain on the higher side till the AI mearns your usage patterns. Once it kicks in, you should see less drainage.
Tensor G1 will be battery hungry. I think you could easily pull in a day with moderate use. Push it, and you will have to look for your charger

How long does it take to kick in? Just browsing TE, and the battery went down from 90 to 88 in a few minutes. I tried downloading a torrent through 1dm+ and the phone became extremely hot. My old redmi phone barely became hot even after downloading a torrent the entire day. Stopped the downloading for now.

One thing I noticed is we can't restrict the notification tile drop-down menu in lockscreen. Apparently it's for our own safety. We can easily stop WiFi and data networks from lockscreen. So if the phone is stolen, say bye to it. All their find my device etc isn't going to work. Waste of battery.

Edit: forgot to mention. No 5g in this phone. FK and Google is selling this as 5g phone but no 5g in settings. I feel cheated.

How long does it take to kick in? Just browsing TE, and the battery went down from 90 to 88 in a few minutes. I tried downloading a torrent through 1dm+ and the phone became extremely hot. My old redmi phone barely became hot even after downloading a torrent the entire day. Stopped the downloading for now.

One thing I noticed is we can't restrict the notification tile drop-down menu in lockscreen. Apparently it's for our own safety. We can easily stop WiFi and data networks from lockscreen. So if the phone is stolen, say bye to it. All their find my device etc isn't going to work. Waste of battery.

Edit: forgot to mention. No 5g in this phone. FK and Google is selling this as 5g phone but no 5g in settings. I feel cheated.
Google has been slow to release the update to enable 5G, not sure why. It is expected by the end of this month.

Back