Audio Suggestions for an IEM.

ps911

Disciple
Hi Guys,

I currently use a pair of denon c252 iems and koss ksc75 clip ons. I quite like the sound signature of both but im curious to try out another pair which will push the quality of music to the next level.

I listen to varied types of music ranging from ambient, dubstep, drum n bass to rock and, sometimes when the mood strikes, classical.

I look for good mids and lows but not too particular about the highs. I wouldnt like iems which are too forward.

Any suggestions from your experience?

Oh, and the budget is flexible, between 2k and 4k, but they should be good value for money.

Thanks in advance!

sources would be ipod nano, a sansa fuze, and a laptop. Unamped. and need mobility, so headphones are out.

and thanks for the link. Somehow on this forum there are some brands which attain cult status (e.g. brainwavz), mostly because they punch above their league, but some good iems are never explored due to their availability. I was hoping someone would mention an iem which really appealed to them.

I ordered a pair of meelec m6s and klipsch s4s sometime back, looking forward to hearing them. But still looking for something which is of a similar sound signature but offers much more in terms of imaging and/or clarity.

Imaging and clarity you demand, Look no further than the Audio-Technica CK10. I think they would contrast the m6 and s4 pretty well and they don't require and amp to shine.

How much do they retail for ? If im not wrong they go for 15k+ a pop. How would they compare to shure 425s?

There is someone letting go of a pair of 425s for <9k and I think they might be a more value for money option.

ps911 said:
Somehow on this forum there are some brands which attain cult status (e.g. brainwavz), mostly because they punch above their league, but some good iems are never explored due to their availability. I was hoping someone would mention an iem which really appealed to them

IMHO, on SQ alone, none of them "punch above their weight". They perform as good as many other IEMs in their price range (barring M2, which I think is complete VFM). What they do have is a good and dependable local dealer support and easy availability. Not many would be willing to send their IEMs for RMA overseas. If you are up for it, I'd say the world is your playground, brands and place of availability are not an issue any more and your money is a casualty (shipping and risk of customs duty).

Bass + good mids (unless you are asking for deep bass extension) - Fischer Audio Silver Bullet v2

Bass (with extension, but a bit more quantity at times) + forward mids + sparkling treble - Xears TDIII v2

Bass (less quantity, not much extension) + forward mids + good treble - Brainwavz M3

If you are adventurous, take a chance with Spider Real Voice or DUNU Trident.

None of them are serious upgrades in SQ compared to Klipsch S4 - but at least a notch or two above it for sure.

If you are really looking for upgrade, look for DDM-1 used. A little lower could be Sunrise XCape-IE

Added:

Among Top-tiers, CK10 offers impeccable clarity, amazing speed with a bit of texture and great imaging. But, it certainly has certain 'flaws' - they lack bass quantity, are sharp in 10-12Khz range - both of which need EQ-ing (Not for me, but in general). No idea about Shures. An all-in-one (bass-head bass, trebly, great timbre, spaciousness, but damn! no isolation) would be FX700. CK10 goes for $300, FX700 for far more.

Thanks buddy! Thats a pretty long list of potential candidates :) Need to google up each of these and go through the reviews.

Back