OC & Modding Suggestions for buying RAM stick

jayken

Disciple
Hey folks!

I am using a 256 Mb DDR RAM, 865 gbf mobo, p4 ht(2.66).
For daily use and minimal gaming this would suffice. But now since i wanna improve its performance, i tot of buying a new Stick.
It has been almost 2 years since i bot this comp and i have absolutely no idea about ddr, ddr2 and the clock timings and other specifications related to it. really greek and latin for me.

I did some googling and read some wonderful articles in TE regarding clocks and speed. I realise there would be some compatability issues if i buy some stick for the sake of improving the speed without understanding about compatability.

I've posted a snapshot of cpu-z which will give ya more info on my RAM.

I am looking for a 512 mb upgrade! That would suffice!

After analysing the stats, can u guys please tell me exactly what i should buy?
here are my questions.....

1) DDR? (to be in sync with ram in slot1)
2) DDR2? If its okay, what are the compatability issues i might face?
3) what should i do to improve the working condn of this ram i own now? Any settings change in bios?
4) can we alter the clock speeds or do they come with the Stick already set by the manufacturer?

Thanks a lot for your time! ;-)

Good day! :)

Attachments

• ddr.JPG
    ddr.JPG
    37 KB · Views: 56
Chaos said:
Just go ask for a stick of 512MB DDR ram. DDR2 will not work... in fact it can't even be fitted into the socket :p.

Friend Chaos,

incomplete answer.... tell him also with SPEED of DDR ram that will fit with his motherboard.

865GBF: I think it will fit with 400MHz DDR. Please, you conform that.

jayken said:
@iosoft

any suggestions to improve RAM speed? the clocks? what shouldbe done?
Thanks for the replies guys!

improve RAM speed? Overclock but don't do :no:
improve the clocks ? Can't
what shouldbe done? actually, none except add more RAM like 1GB of same size and same types of modules.

Your PC looks quite nice. Just Add more RAMs. Like 2 x 512MBs of Transcend rams. And if you GAME then a 7600GS/GT graphics card, Re-install Windows with new Setup (added RAM and or Graphics card). It will run like a ...... :ashamed:

@ Chaos,
I think it is 865 gbf mobo. 1st line -
I am using a 256 Mb DDR RAM, 865 gbf mobo, p4 ht(2.66).

Actually, I don't have high exp on 'intel original boards'.

Chaos said:
^^Hm... then 512MBx2 DDR400 should do the trick. You can't overclock on intel boards other than 975XBX.

Hmmmmmmmm,

Now I come to know why all Gaming Memebr talking about all MOBO except Intel.:S

And all that time I thinking that you all may have some problem with Intel.:bleh:

No point investing in such an old system. Just get any standard PC 3200 RAM... cheapest. If you dont game, and if you are not worried about nano seconds gain or overclocks, than all this research is meaningless.

@everyone,
I'll buy 512 mb DDR-400: PC3200 stick. Thanks for your time folks!

@techcheat
It ain't that old buddy, my 'black pearl' does the job perfect. Just want that baby to run a bit faster. "Information is wealth", everything is meaningful and from knowing nothing, now i know something. You learn everyday.

Good day folks! :hap2:

Back