CPU/Mobo Suggestions for motherboard for Core i7 2600

vaibhavyagnik

youtube.com/vaibhavyagnik
Adept
Hello my fellow forum members,
I am getting a pretty sweet deal by one of our forum members for a core i7 2600. The only thing holding me back is the motherboard.
I want to build a computer which will run atleast 4-5 VMs, having their own dedicated Network port. I want all the network ports to run on Intel chipsets as they are faster than their broadcom and realtek counter parts. This means that onboard Network chip should also be intel, which obviously turns my attention towards Intel motherboards. for the additional Network ports, I am thinking of getting this or this. Getting these would mean that i would need additional PCIe slots greater than or equal to x4, Also one PCIe x 16 will be used by my graphics card. So in summary, I require a motherboard which has
1. Maximum number of PCIe x 4 of greater slots
2. Onboard Network chipset should be Intel
3. Should be compatible with core i7 2600 (socket 1155)
4. Should be as cheap as possible. Ideally less than 12K

P.S: I am trying to build a NAS testing setup. Hence the requirement for LAN ports. The machine will simulate an environment of a small business office. I would love to recreate something like this.
[h=1][/h]

Oh nas setup aka cyber cafe then i7 2600 is lot more than enough because I go to a cyber cafe near my home and he too has nas setup and he runs 5 PCs on an 2nd gen i5 and all of them run fantastic with no lag, source: My experience

I'm using 43 machines with P67 series MOBOs (mostly Asus and Gigabyte)/i7-2600
And, 64 machines with P55 series MOBOs (mostly Asus and few Gigabyte)/i7-3700

In a couple of machines, I use 2700K and 3700K processors with high-end boards. Again, not for gaming. Most applications are like High end simulations/computing/graphics etc. Most are multiple displays (3) for each machine (mostly Eyefinity)

I DO NOT use any 'K' series processors for my business requirements.
None of the machines are meant for gaming.
Most of them run multiple VMs to meet my business requirements.
No machine runs any Intel board (ruled out for my requirements so many reasons).
All machines run high RAM ; 8-16 GB

Well coming to the point, it depends on your budget + purpose/requirement/student/business etc. So I really doubt if you could get any high-end board (loads) in India (ATX class) for 12,000. I mean, for the same money ($220), one could get a damn good board in the US but here so many problems...no wonder why I do not but any new products here. Not even RAM!

I've an Intel board in my mind. It should be in your budget. Also a few Asus/Gigabyte/MSI boards. Let me know if it's OK...

You chose non 'K' series for directed I/O? Or just to save cost? If you wondering what's directed I/O, then:

Intel® Virtualization Technology for Directed I/O (VT-d): Enhancing Intel platforms for efficient virtualization of I/O devices | Intel® Developer Zone

Also, this is strange:

"I want all the network ports to run on Intel chipsets as they are faster than their broadcom and realtek counter parts."

How fast? Do you have any stat? What's your network configuration and data transfer requirement/speed like? There shouldn't be big difference in data performance between different network device vendor products with updated BIOS and drivers.

@linux, @subhamm
I already have a NAS assembled. Its G620 on DH67BL with 5 x 2TB with 16GB RAM. The client machines i have on which i run VMs are having gigabyte motherboards which employ Realtek 8111 for Network. With this setup, i am able to achieve only 60-70 MB/s on a gigabit link. I have tested this using Iperf . I was intrigued, because the hardware specs of NAS are more than enough to saturate 2 Gigabit links, so i threw the question on the FREENAS forums and the general consensus was that i should ditch realtek and go for intel on both sides (client and NAS)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back