Suggestions for Upgrade - Budget 50-60K

spolygon

Disciple
Looking to upgrade after quite a while (3-4 years).

Will use the system mostly for photo editing and gaming (when I get the time).
I know computer stuff gets outdated fast but do plan to keep the upgraded rig for another 2-3 years.
Here are my requirements as per the template.
Thanks for your help and suggestions.
1. Q: What is your budget?
1. 50-60K

2. Q: What is your existing hardware configuration (component name - component brand and model)
  • 1. CPU - Intel Core 2 duo E6750
  • 2. Motherboard – MSI P6N SLI Platinum (650i)
  • 3. GPU – MSI NVIDIA 8800GTS
  • 4. RAM – Crucial Ballistix 4X1GB PC6400
  • 5. Monitor – Viewsonic 1930 wm
  • 6. SMPS - Corsair HX 650
  • 7. A nice Chieftec mid tower cabinet that I will keep

3. Q: Which hardware will you be keeping (component name - component brand and model)
1. Monitor – Viewsonic 1930 wm- Will buy the Dell 1311 most probably after a couple of months
2. SMPS - Corsair HX650
3. The chieftec cabinet
4. Q: Which hardware component are you looking to buy (component name). If you have already decided on a configuration then please mention the (component brand and model) as well, this will help us in fine tuning your requirement.
1. CPU – Most likely Intel 2500K but open to suggestions
2. Motherboard - any compatible motherboard
3. GPU – Maybe MSI twin Frozr 6950. Should I go for 6970 or any other?
4. 8 GB RAM- GSKILL – Which one?
5. Which CPU cooler and buy from where?
5. Q: Is this going to be your final configuration or you would be adding/upgrading a component in near future. If yes then please mention when and which component
1. Yes, will upgrade the following within 6 months
2. Monitor

6. Q: Where will you buy this hardware? (Online/City/TE Dealer)
1. Bangalore
2. Open to online purchase: Yes- Please suggest online vendor when making the recco.
7. Q: Would you consider buying a second hand hardware from the TE market
1. NO
8. Q: What is your intended use for this PC/hardware
  • 1. A lot of Capture NX2 and photoshop type image editing applications
  • 2. Gaming
  • 3. Browsing
  • 4. Desktop Processing
  • 5. Watching HD movies
9. Q: Do you have any brand preference or dislike? Please name them and the reason for your preference/dislike.
1. None
10. Q: If you will be playing games then which type of games will you be playing?
1. Various FPS- Crysis 2 etc
2. RPG- Witcher 2, Mass Effect 2
3. Strategy - Civilization, Starcraft 2
4. Racing - Dirt 2 high settings
11. Q: What is your preferred monitor resolution for gaming and normal usage
1. Desktop - 1440x900. Will look for higher once monitor is upgraded.
12. Q: Are you looking to overclock?
1. Yes. Moderate
13. Q: Which operating system do you intend to use with this configuration?
1. Windows 7 64 bit

^^ Core i5 2500k ~ 11500/- + Cooler Master Hyper 212+ ~ 1800/-
ASUS P8Z68-V PRO ~ 11500/-
Corsair XMS3 1600MHz 4GB [single module] x 2 ~ 3200/-
nVidia GTX 560 Ti OR AMD HD 6950 1GB edition ~ 13500/- [both cards are neck to neck at the price point, though the AMD brings in EyeFinity to the game while nVidia brings CUDA and PHYSX to the fray, for the information on same, I'll provide links, but from the productivity applications you will use nVidia will stand on the top]
Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 500GB / 1TB ~ 1850/- OR 2750/-
APC BR 1.1KVA-IN ~ 4400/- [superb UPS at the price point, will go into action and give ~15 / 20 minutes back-up to you]
[I'm not good at audio so no recommends]
Dell Ultrasharp U2311H ~ 13500/- [again for Adobe Photoshop color gamut nothing beats an IPS panel]

For a complete lowdown on how your system will perform and why I recommended these components, here are the links --
Core i5 2500K and Core i7 2600K review / Intel Core i5-2500K Review | bit-tech.net -- Intel Sandy-Bridge review, AnandTech - Bench - CPU -- Sandy Bridge vs. AMD Thubans.
AMD Radeon HD 6950 Review - TechSpot Reviews / AMD HD 6970 and HD 6950 Review - Overclockers Club -- AMD HD 6950 review.
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 Ti SLI Review - Page 1/25 | techPowerUp / NVIDIA, ASUS GTX 560 Ti Review - Overclockers Club -- nVidia GTX 560 Ti review.
AnandTech - Bench - GPU11 -- nVidia GTX 560 Ti vs. AMD HD 6950 1GB.
AMD Eyefinity Technology -- AMD EyeFinity.
What is CUDA | NVIDIA Developer Zone / CUDA -- nVidia CUDA.
Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus CPU Cooler Review / CoolerMaster Hyper212 Review - Overclockers Club -- Cooler Master Hyper 212+ review.

Hope this helps, Sire.

Thank you alpha 17 fopr the reco and for the links. Unfortunately had to undergo an emergency surgery so could not respond earlier. also means that I will probably wait a 2-3 weeks before I build the system. Any additional inputs especially on CPU cooler will also be appreciated.

Back