Budget 31-40k Suggestions invited (first time building)

Afxal

Disciple
  1. What is your budget?
    • 31k (excluding GPU)
    • I tried pcpricetracker and it gave me a quote of around 30.5k
  2. What is your existing hardware configuration (component name - component brand and model)
    • Monitor - MSI G2412
  3. Which hardware will you be keeping (component name - component brand and model)
    • Monitor - MSI G2412
  4. Which hardware component are you looking to buy (component name). If you have already decided on a configuration then please mention the (component brand and model) as well, this will help us in fine tuning your requirement.
    • CPU - Intel i3-12100f
    • Motherboard - Asus h610m e-d4
    • GPU - RTX 3060 (2nd hand)
    • PSU - Cooler Master MWE 550 V2 SMPS 550 Watt 80 Plus Bronze Certification PSU With Active PFC
    • Ram - 8gb*2 3200mhz
    • SSD - 1tb m.2 nvme pcie gen 3.0
    • Cabinet - No clue but I heard mesh and included fans should be must. Around 3k?
  5. Is this going to be your final configuration or you would be adding/upgrading a component in near future. If yes then please mention when and which component
    • No upgrade will be made. Will probably hand this down to my small cousins or just donate it.
  6. Where will you buy this hardware? (Online/City/TE Dealer)
    • online purchase
    • reputed resellers from FB groups
  7. What is your intended use for this PC/hardware
    • Gaming
  8. Do you have any brand preference or dislike? Please name them and the reason for your preference/dislike.
    • Dont have much idea about this but heard that Ant Esports products aren't reliable.
  9. If you will be playing games then which type of games will you be playing?
    • AAA games majorly, yes I know I'm a casual.
  10. What is your preferred monitor resolution for gaming and normal usage
    1. Gaming - 1080p high settings
  11. Are you looking to overclock?
    • No
  12. Which operating system do you intend to use with this configuration?
    • Windows 11

Last edited:
I'm wondering if you really need the 12th i3 processor if you're going to be gaming on the machine.
If you can source it, I'd recommend an older AMD4 processor (3600/5600 - up to you, depending on budget constraints) along with a beefier 3060ti.
For the cabinet, pick a mid tower with at least 3 fans (1-2 for intake and 2-3 out). If you're sticking to the mATX form factor, that should give you plenty of room for air flow.
They do cost a bit more than 3k, closer to 6k (I think only ANT does cases within 3k).
Whichever you pick, make sure you check if it has enough clearance for your GPU - I had to reorder, because my GPU is longer than most (280mm) and not a lot of cases support that.

I'm wondering if you really need the 12th i3 processor if you're going to be gaming on the machine.
If you can source it, I'd recommend an older AMD4 processor (3600/5600 - up to you, depending on budget constraints) along with a beefier 3060ti.
For the cabinet, pick a mid tower with at least 3 fans (1-2 for intake and 2-3 out). If you're sticking to the mATX form factor, that should give you plenty of room for air flow.
They do cost a bit more than 3k, closer to 6k (I think only ANT does cases within 3k).
Whichever you pick, make sure you check if it has enough clearance for your GPU - I had to reorder, because my GPU is longer than most (280mm) and not a lot of cases support that.
thanks for the input. I dont know whether r5 3600/5600 is available in 2nd hand market readily. i3-12100f would be around 7.6k new.
I found a listing for r5 3600 that too out of warranty at 5.2k. I don't think ryzen would be an option for me to build.

thanks for the input. I dont know whether r5 3600/5600 is available in 2nd hand market readily. i3-12100f would be around 7.6k new.
I found a listing for r5 3600 that too out of warranty at 5.2k. I don't think ryzen would be an option for me to build.
Ryzen 5 5500 is a better option, it's basically a rebadged Ryzen 5 3600 but from the 5000 series. It's gaming performance is similar to the i3 but it has an extra 2 cores, which can come in handy sometimes. It's around the same price as the i3 platform (cpu + mobo) as well.

I'd recommend picking up a USB wifi card for 500 Rs in case you need wifi too.

For the case, anything for 3k is fine, build quality of these are good enough for simple builds.

Ryzen 5 5500 is a better option, it's basically a rebadged Ryzen 5 3600 but from the 5000 series. It's gaming performance is similar to the i3 but it has an extra 2 cores, which can come in handy sometimes. It's around the same price as the i3 platform (cpu + mobo) as well.

I'd recommend picking up a USB wifi card for 500 Rs in case you need wifi too.

For the case, anything for 3k is fine, build quality of these are good enough for simple builds.
That makes hella sense.

Just one question would 5500+b450 combined with rtx 3060/ti would give the equal performance of i3-12100f+h610 with 3060/ti?

That makes hella sense.

Just one question would 5500+b450 combined with rtx 3060/ti would give the equal performance of i3-12100f+h610 with 3060/ti?
Yes both have identical gaming performance, the 5500 might even pull ahead of the i3 in some CPU intensive games like spider-man remastered or cyberpunk 2077.

If same price then why would you suggest a dead end platform to him?
It's better to go with 12th/13th gen now and have options to upgrade to 14th gen whenever needed.

AM4 only makes sense to buy used and for a significantly cheaper price.

If same price then why would you suggest a dead end platform to him?
It's better to go with 12th/13th gen now and have options to upgrade to 14th gen whenever needed.

AM4 only makes sense to buy used and for a significantly cheaper price.
With a H610 motherboard, options to upgrade are very limited. Maximum you could expect is a 12400F, which isn't a giant leap in terms of performance. Anything further, even the i5 13400F, will result in VRM throttling due to a mediocre VRM. if OP went with a decent B660 motherboard, then it's fine, but it would end up shooting over their budget.

14th gen isn't an upgrade to 13th gen anyway, and 13th gen doesn't have anything worth to offer for OP's needs and motherboard. A used 5800X3D is always on the cards for AM4 as well. Going with AM4 is a better option for them, since theres the extra 2 cores and 4 DIMM slots on the B450 compared to the 2 on H610.

for ryzen used go for 5k series u can get some good used options if keep on looking and wait. Otherwise it seems 12100f is good for new and if used then some better deals can be had.

I'd suggest go for a previous gen CPU but move up to i7 K series or Ryzen as suggested by many. Latest gen CPUs are generally not value for money. The CPU that you've selected may struggle and spoil you gaming experience. It will for certainly delay the loading time. Thank you

I'd suggest go for a previous gen CPU but move up to i7 K series or Ryzen as suggested by many. Latest gen CPUs are generally not value for money. The CPU that you've selected may struggle and spoil you gaming experience. It will for certainly delay the loading time. Thank you
I thought about it but don't have any clue about the older gen Cpu's performance.

I don't think i3+h610 @14.5k is a bad option if buying new. Even if I went with ryzen, my options are r5 5500, 3600 or 5600 combined with maybe a B450 mobo, again the total will be around 13-14k.

Considering all this, if I had to go with an older gen Intel chip, what are the options? I mean, if the price diff isn't much why to go with older chips?

If getting used then go with B550 mobo for ryzen....you can get good options in warranty along with 5600/5600x....someone's selling 5600x here on forum. Ddr4 rams are cheap as of now used and new both

The difference between 12th and 13th gen Intel is pretty big.
Like @DestGod said, if you are gonna upgrade further down the line, the 5800x3D would be possible with AMD.
Second hand, might be possible to get a b550 with the 3600 in that same budget.

Oh shoot. @rockyo27 beat me to it

I thought about it but don't have any clue about the older gen Cpu's performance.

I don't think i3+h610 @14.5k is a bad option if buying new. Even if I went with ryzen, my options are r5 5500, 3600 or 5600 combined with maybe a B450 mobo, again the total will be around 13-14k.

Considering all this, if I had to go with an older gen Intel chip, what are the options? I mean, if the price diff isn't much why to go with older chips?
I3 12100F and Ryzen 5 5500 both released early 2022.

If getting used then go with B550 mobo for ryzen....you can get good options in warranty along with 5600/5600x....someone's selling 5600x here on forum. Ddr4 rams are cheap as of now used and new both
will keep this in mind while buying, thanks.

Back