Budget 41-50k Suggestions? - Need a Small Portable Laptop with Good Battery Life 41-50k

vebk

Adept
What's your Budget?
Max 50K (cheaper would be better) i.e. $900 (if buying from the US)

What will be your primary usage for the notebook be?
Office Use (word, excel, pdf composition etc.), a little bit of photoshop, General internet usage, Some movie watching (720p)

What size and weight considerations do you have?
Preferably 12.5" but considering how few of those there seem to be in the market, upto 13.3" would also suffice, but nothing bigger than that. (Basically I should be able to pick it up with one hand).

Any brand that you prefer, or any brand that you detest?
Would prefer to avoid Dell (at least the cheaper series e.g. inspiron), and HP (horrible after sales service)

Any other considerations?
Must have decent battery life (i.e. > 4 hours with moderate usage). Also if I can make a decision within the next 2-3 days I can have someone get it from the U.S. where it seems laptops are much cheaper.

Would appreciate any suggestions! :bigok:

Ok thank you guys for all the suggestions!! :p

In case anyone else has a similar wishlist, after a LOT of intensive research, I am going for the Sony Vaio T13 (touchscreen) - i5, 6GB, 500GB hdd + 32GB SSD, Windows 8 for $890.

@vebk:- Have you purchased? whats your feedback then? I'm also fan of vaio. I shortlisted 14R Dell but still inclined towards vaio and searching for equivalent model to compare with Dell.

Last edited by a moderator:
Honestly, I am basically satisfied with the Vaio, but I would have to say that the build quality is much below par to the Samsung np350 12.5" laptop we also have. Like night and day. The Vaio has all sorts of like crevices where two parts meet, while the Samsung is solid. Similarly, the quality of materials used is also not anything great. The keyboard is not great either.

Other than that, the touchscreen is awesome, and the laptop works great! I do think I got VFM, but I wish Samsung had not stopped making 12.5" laptops (when I was looking there was nothing Samsung offered < 14")

Hi Vebk, this one will be perfect for you...not to mention really stylish and latest!
Acer has launched the Acer Iconia W510 Windows 8 Hybrid Tab.

It's a Windows 8 machine. The W510 is a convertible laptop that turns into a tablet as soon as you pull the screen away from the keyboard dock. Perfect to carry it around as a tablet or set it down on a table when browsing for long hours or using Microsoft Office.

Its 10.1-inch screen size and the processing power provided by the dual core Intel Atom 1.8GHz CPU with 2GB RAM processor make it good enough to run heavy apps like Adobe Photoshop, even though the processing speeds are not as high as that of full-fledged laptops.

The Charm menu bar, which is what the Start bar was to earlier Windows versions. What is different, however, is that this menu can be accessed from anywhere, no matter which application you are running.

You just need to swipe your finger from the left edge and the menu appears giving you the options of Search, Share, Start, Devices and Settings all at one place. The search itself is very broad-based; when you type in the name of a file you are looking for, the OS searches across apps, stores and even the Internet from just one search window, unlike earlier Windows versions.

Multi-tasking is another winning feature of the Windows 8 OS. You can open two apps at a time and get a split screen view of both together; you can even adjust the display size of both apps, or have both full-screen and toggle between them.

The tab also offers more memory space than most tabs with an inbuilt memory of 64 GB expandable via micro SD card. One can also plug in an external hard disk of even 1 TB memory. The Iconia W510 has a micro SD port, a mini USB port and an HDMI port. The charging port is on the detachable screen, so it can be carried for work or travel without the keyboard.

It costs Rs.43,000

Back