PC Peripherals Suggestions needed for PC configuration

psynaps3

Disciple
Hi,

I will be getting myself a new system in the coming month. It will be primarily used for office work. Other than that add in some casual browsing and watching movies. I won't be using it for playing games :)

Would need your suggestions (along with the current market price) on the following peripherals,

Monitor: LCD 19" [Would choosing a widescreen be favourable? 90% of usage is going to be browsing/office work/programming and the likes]
CPU: [No idea... need something fast and economical]
RAM: 1GB+ [I will be using a few applications that needs a lot of RAM... eg: J2EE application servers/IDEs]
Motherboard: [With expansion slots for graphic cards (AGP/PCI-E?) so that i could add on a graphic card later on]
HDD: 160 GB Seagate (SATA(2))
PSU/Cabinet: ?

Budget is going to be somewhere around the 40k-50k mark.

PS: this is not going to be a gaming rig :)

TIA

Monitor: LCD 19" Viewsonic 20K dont remember the model number.

HDD: instead of 160GB x 2 , get a 250GB/300GB for around 5K.

PSU/Cabinet: Powersafe/Antec 450/500W = 3K to 5K + 2K ( Cabinet )

= 30K - 32K approx

Get the combo from Appo selling in the market. Opteron CPU + Mobo = Good for server use.

pm him or me if u want the combo.

Else

CPU = AMD x2 3800 = 8.5K

Mobo Asus/Foxxconn/Asrock = 4K

RAM 1GB x 2 = 7.5K (Very good 1gb x 2 selling in the market section)

Monitor cost you have mentioned is too high. I would appreciate something in the range of 15k.

CPU - is it better to go for a Core Duo?

HDD: 160 GB is way more than enough for me :)

U wont get 19incher in 15K. Better get a 19in widescreen. Samsung 940 WB or something for 16K

A 17inch LCD has more viewable area than a 17inch CRT.

CPU is good enough for what your use is. Core 2 Duo will be better if supported by a good mobo and good DDR2 RAM which are currently costly.

160GB is fine then.

Better to save some bucks by getting second hand stuff from market with > 2 yrs warranty and buy a decent graphics card with the leftover amount...

Few bucks saved never hurts..

But wait for some senior members to respond.

Josh said:
CPU is good enough for what your use is. Core 2 Duo will be better if supported by a good mobo and good DDR2 RAM which are currently costly.

How costly is DDR2 in India?

I think there is an active thread here with members complaining that DDR prices are rising due to "increased DDR2 production" or something like that.

DDR2 prices are by now well below DDR prices internationally, I think.

Get this otherwise

Intel Core 2 Duo E6300 (10k)

ASRock 775Twins (4k)

Transcend 2x1GB PC3200 DDR (8k) - if you don't want 2GB, 1GB will cost you 3.6k

Powersafe 450W (2k)

Seagate Barracuda 250GB SATAII (4k)

Generic cabinet (2k)

Samsung 940 WB (16K)

APC 500VA UPS (1.9k)

get this....

Good DDR2 i mean one which overclocks and has good timings. Dont have idea about rates.

Hi,

After going through a few threads, i have decided not to get a Conroe based setup atm. Will try to get it sourced from abroad once the price falls.
Meanwhile please suggest an alternative processor/MB/RAM combination (something that is readily available in our country).

I have almost finalized on the below components,
Monitor: Samsung 19" 940 WB (Is this going to affect the display of normal office applications?) How about if I instead go for a good 17" MVA unit? Recommendations please.

HDD: 160 GB Seagate

PSU/Cabinet: Powersafe/Antec

APC 500VA UPS

Mebbe with the price i save on this configuration, i could also add a pretty decent graphic card. What say?

Josh,
Thank you for all the suggestions :) Waiting for more...

how abt this

Amd X2 3800- 8.5-9k not sure

Asus A8Ne- 5K

Transcend 2*1gb DDR 400- 8.5K

Seagate 250gb SATA II NCQ- around 4k

PSU- Powersafe / Cooler Master 450/430 W should suffice- around 2.5K

Nvidia 6200 TC- 2k

Cabinet- 1.5K

Asus/ Liteon DVD- RW drive- 2.5k

Liteon Combo drive (optional)- 1.3K

KB + mouse- 1K

UPS Microtek 800 VA- 2k

Go for monitors with good display times if u want to watch movies in the range of 4-12 ms lower the better,

Viewsonic 19" LCD dunno the model no offers 4ms

Back