Suggestions needed for USB Router

ketansrihas

Disciple
Hello,

I live in 1350 sq ft area and I have a PC in 1st floor with Lan connection. I need good signal/range in ground floor as well. I am moderate down-loader ~50gb per month on 3Mbps connection

I need a router with USB to stream from HDD to my Tab (Laptop/LED in future)

I shortlisted TP link ADSL as it got USB but don't know whether there is a downloader built in or not and I need to connect router to one PC. Does this router support for one pc with wired connection? I got nothing to do with ADSL and Downloading torrents from router is optional.

How is this Asus model. Will the range suffice my requirement? as it is having it is having 3dbi antenna and I read reviews that there is constant drop out and range problem and What are the r/w speeds from USB?

Suggest any other models as well budget is 2500 (3000 max)
Please advice,

Regards.

I live in 1350 sq ft area and I have a PC in 1st floor with Lan connection. I need good signal/range in ground floor as well. I am moderate down-loader ~50gb per month on 3Mbps connection
In the room beneath the router you will get a good signal. How far away from that point on the ground floor is a good signal required ?

I need a router with USB to stream from HDD to my Tab (Laptop/LED in future)
The limitation here is the Tab, its usually N150, some top end tab models will go to N300. The laptop will usually handle N300. LED is something i'm still trying to figure out whether its N150 or more.

You need to know the avg bitrate of the content you want to stream then leave a margin of 3-6x that avg bitrate if you want a stutter free experience.

On N150 this will typically be ~5Mbs. On N300 it will be ~8Mbs. 720p should work. 1080p will stutter at points.

What Tab do you have btw ?

I shortlisted TP link ADSL as it got USB but don't know whether there is a downloader built in or not and I need to connect router to one PC. Does this router support for one pc with wired connection? I got nothing to do with ADSL and Downloading torrents from router is optional.

How is this Asus model. Will the range suffice my requirement? as it is having it is having 3dbi antenna and I read reviews that there is constant drop out and range problem and What are the r/w speeds from USB?

Suggest any other models as well budget is 2500 (3000 max)
Both models are similar in range with the N13 edging ahead a bit.

I'm not very sold on the USB on the router. I prefer to run a dlna server on my laptop wired to the router and not bother with the USB. This way you have more control over the server end and are not restricted to what the router offers or not. I hardly use the USB on my router because the laptop gives a better write to the HDD with NTFS.

It is usually a 150, but depends on the WiFi adapter. AFAIK - most of the existing ones are 150Mbps ones.

And rather than the laptop DLNA - try to purchase a GoFlexHome or a my Book network drive. At 10W per hour, they are pretty power sipping, and do have torrent downloading.

In the room beneath the router you will get a good signal. How far away from that point on the ground floor is a good signal required ?
Router will be placed exactly the center on 1 st floor and only two rooms are there(like a pent house) I need signal below for about 1000-1100 sq ft

The limitation here is the Tab, its usually N150, some top end tab models will go to N300. The laptop will usually handle N300. LED is something i'm still trying to figure out whether its N150 or more.

You need to know the avg bitrate of the content you want to stream then leave a margin of 3-6x that avg bitrate if you want a stutter free experience.

On N150 this will typically be ~5Mbs. On N300 it will be ~8Mbs. 720p should work. 1080p will stutter at points.

What Tab do you have btw ?

I have a Nexus 7 wifi model

Router will be placed exactly the center on 1 st floor and only two rooms are there(like a pent house) I need signal below for about 1000-1100 sq ft
Imagine the router were placed in the same positin on the ground floor.

How far away would the clients (Nexus 7, laptop) be from it.
How many walls in between router & clients and how thick (6 inch or 11 inch).

You say placed in the centre on the first floor, is that in a stairs room ?

10 feet in 3 directions and having 5 walls of 9" each this is ground floor and on 1st floor there are 2 - 9" walls

There is no stair room. Placing it in the room and its not duplex.

Back