Suggestions please for a laptop from USA...

sriharsha

Disciple
hello everyone...

I am trying to get a laptop(first time/sony vaio) from US. I request you all to please give suggestions on

how to get it safe?,

Which courier shall I use to get it?

and please say about the international warranty? (In nutshell, all Dos and Don'ts)

thanks in advance:hap2:

regards,
Sriharsha

getting it via courier will cost a bomb and tons of risks of losing or damaging the laptop....

Best way is to find a carrier who will bring the laptop along with him/her while coming back to India.

Thank you dear ravi, can you tell me anything about the international warranty?

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

babu.mohan10 said:
Which Vaio are you thinking of getting btw ?
dear babu, E series of sony i m thinking to get. with i5, 6GB ram, 1gb 5450 GPU (rest i dunno) it is around $900.

^^

Hey that doesn't seem like a good deal IMO. 900$ = around 40k

You get same config in India for same price then why paying extra and getting it from US ? And that model is the old E series, I suggest you get the C series with i5, 1 gb 6630 GPU and FHD screen. Its around 900 as well.

sriharsha said:
Thank you dear ravi, can you tell me anything about the international warranty?

I had a 2 yr pickup warranty. I saved extra $55 by selecting no pickup warranty and went for a 1 yr standard warranty since anyways the pickup warranty is only applicable in US and not here in India. I still have the 1 year international warranty which I have already confirmed with the Dell customer care. Also they said within this one year I can buy extra warranty as per their plans.

babu.mohan10 said:
^^
Hey that doesn't seem like a good deal IMO. 900$ = around 40k
You get same config in India for same price then why paying extra and getting it from US ? And that model is the old E series, I suggest you get the C series with i5, 1 gb 6630 GPU and FHD screen. Its around 900 as well.
yeah babu, i saw C series... isnt it bang for buck :) thanks for sharing that with me... as i m curious, how it would be Dell XPS or 15R Vs Sony C serieS?:hap2:

onlyravi said:
I had a 2 yr pickup warranty. I saved extra $55 by selecting no pickup warranty and went for a 1 yr standard warranty since anyways the pickup warranty is only applicable in US and not here in India. I still have the 1 year international warranty which I have already confirmed with the Dell customer care. Also they said within this one year I can buy extra warranty as per their plans.
Hows your dell? i dunno anything about the warranty. International warranty is wat i m bothered abt... can you please tell me in detail... regards

@sriharsha

What are your requirements ? Once I know what you are going to use the laptop for, only then I can suggest which one you should go for. Anyways in general its like this

Inspiron 15R < VAIO C < XPS 15

babu.mohan10 said:
@sriharsha

What are your requirements ? Once I know what you are going to use the laptop for, only then I can suggest which one you should go for. Anyways in general its like this

:) thanks babu, foremost, it is for my office purpose. Gaming is my next wish. it should allow me to play high end games like assassin's creed, civilization 4 or 5 etc.. good battery back up too..

babu.mohan10 said:
@sriharsha

your XPS 15 is awesome!!! how much it charged for you ?

@Sriharsha

Kindly go to the US Dell website and customize a Dell XPS 15 in your budget and let me know what configuration you end up with. If you can squeeze in an i7 and Nvidia GT540 in your budget then get the XPS 15. Otherwise the C will do just fine.

I would have done checked the details myself but unfortunately my broadband connection is not working and it will take ages to open the Dell US site on GPRS.

babu.mohan10 said:
@Sriharsha

Kindly go to the US Dell website and customize a Dell XPS 15 in your budget and let me know what configuration you end up with. If you can squeeze in an i7 and Nvidia GT540 in your budget then get the XPS 15. Otherwise the C will do just fine.

I would have done checked the details myself but unfortunately my broadband connection is not working and it will take ages to open the Dell US site on GPRS.

can you please comment on this configuration... 15.5" Full HD Blu-ray Laptop | VAIO Signature Collection C Series | VPCCB17FX/W | Sony USA

regards,

$1039.99 ????????? Not worth it. You get better config in India itself for 5k more. Customize a CB with FHD, i5 2520M, 1 gb 6630m, 7200rpm 500gb hdd, 4gb ram. It should be around 900$.

babu.mohan10 said:
$1039.99 ????????? Not worth it. You get better config in India itself for 5k more. Customize a CB with FHD, i5 2520M, 1 gb 6630m, 7200rpm 500gb hdd, 4gb ram. It should be around 900$.
CB? yeah i was feeling the same about the price... sorry for late replies.

Back