Sukam Inverter - "Hissss" noise from all fans

Praks

Skilled
After reading lots & lots of threads on Inverter, Decided to go with following one.

Sukam 850 VA Shiny - 2 Yrs Warranty
Sukam 150 AH Tall Tubular Battery - 4 Yrs Warranty.

Wiring & Installtion - 1200 Rs extra

Everything installed & working fine. Excellent shift of inverter from mains to battery in case of power cut.

Major challenege now is - All of the fans are making hisss kind of noise as soon as it takes power from Inverter. I made sure to take Pure Sine Wave so power supply is as smooth as possible still facing this bad issue.

NOTE: There is no power overload. Running only 2 ceiling fans on 850 VA capacity.

Any help ?

Same Problem here.....i bought shiny 1500VA(Pure sine wave) with 2x100 AH low maintenance batteries ..........after finding out the after sales service provided by other companies i finally went with sukam inverter a week ago.....it seemed fine initially, until a few days ago the components to which the inverter were connected started to make some hissing noise even though only 1 fan/CFL light is on.... what i have observed is that the hissing sound is being made by the inverter periodically .....it is quite annoying that after investing so much on a pure sine wave inverter this happens....also the inverter makes a lot of noise while giving/taking power(when it is on).....will have to contact them if the noise does not stop.....

I was planning to buy the same model but now I'm worried, please do update how their after sales service handles the issue.

Sukam 850 VA Shiny - 2 Yrs Warranty
Sukam 150 AH Tall Tubular Battery - 4 Yrs Warranty.
PAID - 19000

Trolley + Wiring & Installtion - 1200 Rs extra

Sukam has one of the best sales service so no worries on that. Planning to reach their customer care.

Any Electronics masters who can guide on this problem ?

Check the voltage its outputting and also check the frequency using a clamp meter or multimeter and check whether its within norm below 240v and is 50hz frequency.

Regarding that hisss Sound. Is it Too often or Once in like 4-5hours??.

I Bought some Inverter Called Kevin 850va Costs 4500
ADDO 150 AH battery Costs: 12000
No issues So Far.

Its continous.. If Power goes off at 10 AM, Inverter will automatically switch to battery & all fans starts this sound.
One thing to notice is, If tube light is also started this sound reduces a bit..

Is it because load is less ? This is capable to run 4 fans + 4 lights + 1 TV, We run just 1 fan.

Yes if its not a pure sine wave the appliances based on inductive load such as fans ,CFL can make a hiss sound.Since you mention this only happens in back up mode its highly likely that your inverter is not outputting a pure sinewave and the only way to know that is to use a harmonic analyzer or a oscilloscope which sadly 90% of the repair or service centers don't have.

Thanks @adder,
Didnt know that. Time to blast them.
This happens with almost all inverters nowadays. There continues to be some element of DC in the output whereas it is supposed to be pure AC. There are filters in the circuit to prevent this. But not effective enough.
A very vulnerable one among all the appliances is the CFL bulb. Their life gets terrifically reduced because of this problem. Somebody must have noticed this. Anybody?

Last edited by a moderator:
This happens with almost all inverters nowadays. There continues to be some element of DC in the output whereas it is supposed to be pure AC. There are filters in the circuit to prevent this. But not effective enough.
A very vulnerable one among all the appliances is the CFL bulb. Their life gets terrifically reduced because of this problem. Somebody must have noticed this. Anybody?
This doesn't happen in APC inverters which is made by schneider electric.

CFLs go kaput regardless due to high voltage,switching off /On just for a few seconds and they are also built cheaply so that it can be replaced soon. The capacitors inside leak and when it goes it takes the entire lamp with it.

@adder
Had pathetic exp with APC ( I know they are good) I requested for sales person to come home & explain me various types of models they have & which one will be good for home., Person said there is no margin in APC & he will not come all the way to home just to explain. Just order the model & they will come to fit. Duh..

Anyways, coming back to Sukam issue.
Had discussion with their engineer & they promptly came home. they replaced a big capacitor on right side of inverter & zooom all noise stopped.

Conclusion: They say out of 1000 Sukam inverters 1 or 2 has this problem. Due to bad quality capacitor, output voltage is not pure sine wave so fans make noise.

All is well now. Impressed by prompt service of Sukam +1 for that. No charges at all (in warranty)

Thank you everyone for your time on guiding this & hope my feedback is helpful in future if someone refers this thread.

Thats great your issue is resolved. We have a locally company 850va sine wave inverter "Digital Home UPS" . When I removed the inverter for cleaning I observed a small 2.5 uF ceiling capacitor crossed with the output line. Promptly I replaced with 8uF oil capacitor to reduce the switchover time. The capacitor acts as small battery and feed the components for a fraction of the second. Also It takes care of the induction loads such as Mixie. The battery I am using is JC battery 150 Ah tall tubular. Fingers crossed it works without any flaw. My question is can I use even bigger capacitor in the output line to take the inductance load of a fridge.

@Praks : Np. Did you tried loading the inverter after repair?. When new I tried loading with quad core pc , 32 in lcd, 5 tubelight, 4 fan, 2 cfl. Inverter runs without hiccup till i start another fan and overload indicator comes into picture. I do a load test once in 3 months to access the system condition. This time it failed when I turned on the 4th fan inverter tripped. When I checked it was due to slightly low water level in the battery. Once topped up and charged full, it was as good as my setup 1.5 yrs ago. I am looking for de-sulphation charger for the batteries to bring back lost power

@Praks : Np. Did you tried loading the inverter after repair?. When new I tried loading with quad core pc , 32 in lcd, 5 tubelight, 4 fan, 2 cfl. Inverter runs without hiccup till i start another fan and overload indicator comes into picture. I do a load test once in 3 months to access the system condition. This time it failed when I turned on the 4th fan inverter tripped. When I checked it was due to slightly low water level in the battery. Once topped up and charged full, it was as good as my setup 1.5 yrs ago. I am looking for de-sulphation charger for the batteries to bring back lost power

Comment messed up, See below :)

Back