Super Crap Amps!

Thanks guys ! :D

@Gannu - Thats not a tube glow ! Thats a Chinese LED bling bling that the amp manufacturer used to compensate for the lack of glow !!! :)

@cravikum - I am not like Sunny, I have a BUDGET ! (j/k). Actually I bought the P3+ for three reasons. 1. It had plenty of bundled OPAMPS for me to tinker with. The D4 had no bundled OPAMPS and the D10 has just 2.

2. The D4 and D10 do not have a power supply unit bundled and both sound best using battery power while the uDac that I am planning to get sounds great using the 5V USB option only. Also the D10 battery is not user replaceable and will be difficult to replace if it fails.

3. I wanted a separate DAC to use with my PC and the uDAC fitted in my plans perfectly. I just went just $50 over my $300 'fixed' budget.

@hash - Yes both are used to boost the audio ! I use a high impedance headphone which makes it sound not too good straight out of the soundcard. It requires an amplifier to sound its best.

Similarly the Ibasso amp is used with my portable player as I use a high impedance earphone as well !

@Titana/Ultimabasher - It sounds pretty good for the price. The stock Chinese tube is nice but I have changed it to a NOS Jan Philips 6922 tube which is much better sounding IMHO.

Its not a tube amp actually but a tube hybrid. i.e. its a regular transistor amp with a tube preamp to color the sound. However it has all the lush mid range of a tube amp with the inherent defects of a cheap tube amp. So the bass does not hit all that low (compared to the P3+) nor does the treble have that sparkle and crispness that you can get with almost any solid state amp. The treble is very smooth and forgiving with a really nice soundstage but its not as detailed as a SS amp. But I am a vocal lover so its plenty good for me as of now.

The P3+ is getting really nice. Rolling the OPAMPs is addictive as there is a very perceptive change in the SQ. I can get a bright detailed sound, a warm rather tubey sound or a fast neutral sound withwith just the default OPAMPS.

And its more than a match for the HD650. It adds some life into the laid back sound of the HD650 which makes for a very engaging sound.

And yes you are spot on ! I have bought a uDAC. It cost me $119 ($99 + $20 shipping) from Amazon.com

I am really broke so this will be my last audio purchase of note for this year (fingers crossed !). Ill probably maybe spend a little on OPAMPs and tubes to tweak the sound to my liking.

BF1983 said:
I am really broke so this will be my last audio purchase of note for this year (fingers crossed !). Ill probably maybe spend a little on OPAMPs and tubes to tweak the sound to my liking.

Ya, opamp rolling is good way to keep upgraditis at bay. Each time i feel like I am getting used to my Xonar STX sound, I change the opamps.:cool2:

FaH33m said:
Warning : "Quality audio gear can be addictive " .That's what Ive learnt from BF1983,I remember him saying " No more audio upgrades " or did it only apply to IEMs. :bleh:

Very true!!

^Titana - rolling amps cannot keep upgrades at bay. It's just a way of consoling oneself. If the sound was truly neutral, (which it is not on the STX), you would never want to change a thing. You can get used to, and live with perfection. But you need to spend a lot more...

I am pretty sure even if I had a truly neutral system, I still would be looking to upgrade/change it after sometime. Its just the nature of human mind.

You are always looking for something more.

^^ Exactly ! I found a neutral setup for the P3+ which I have used for a few days. However I could not resist and I swapped the OPAMPs yesterday to get a slightly colored sound that was not really neutral. Now I am planning to get one more OPAMP that is supposed to be very bassy to see how that will work out.

titana said:
I am pretty sure even if I had a truly neutral system, I still would be looking to upgrade/change it after sometime. Its just the nature of human mind.
You are always looking for something more.

You would upgrade it. Not change the sound. When it comes to audio, you pay for what you get...pays to remember that...

Tweaking your system to optimize your setup is all part of the upgrade process.

Vandal said:
When it comes to audio, you pay for what you get...pays to remember that...

I know that & so does my wallet.

titana said:
Tweaking your system to optimize your setup is all part of the upgrade process.
I know that & so does my wallet.

yeah *sigh*
But then let your heart rule. After all, we live but once!

^^ Thanks ! It really is VFM. It blows my old Meier Corda Porta III (which used to sell about $250 before it got discontinued) out of the solar system. :)

BTW I finally got the uDAC so my audio upgrades are complete. (For now ! :) )

^I had completely forgotten about the uDAC ! Congrats !! ?:D

How does it sound ? Is it really as good as the reviews ?

We guys really need to meet up now at some suitable place , there's so much to catch up with :p

Nice going! The uDac also seems like another awesome vfm product.

The general prices of good DAC's and AMP's seems to be going down.. wish the same could happen for headphones! :p

@titana - Will let you know. I have not done an AB comparison yet but they are pretty similar actually. The UDAC is slightly more neutral than the Hotaudio (the Hotaudio is a pretty warm DAC).

Will do a proper AB test shortly and will post my impressions.

@Faheem - Yeah dude, organise some meet soon ! :)

At the very least we should swap our amps and earphones (for a week or so) since you stay so close to my office.

@Superfrag - Yeah, headphones prices are going up ! Earlier Sennheiser HD600 was the top dog of headphones. Now HD800 is there. Beyerdynamic have their new top dog in the T1 and Grado has already 2 $1k+ headphones models. Sigh :(

^^ When I had the hotaudio DAC, i felt that it was a really good product for money. I shall wait for your comparison.

There have always been costly headphones.
Among dynamics, Sony R10 sold for ~ $4k, L3000 ~$3k, K1000 ~ 1k+ & don't get me started on electrostats. ;)

Back