Survey on use of plastic bags in Supermarkets

Nikhil said:
It doesnt matter. As someone else mentioned on the thread, plastic is plastic. It's still non-biodegradable. You may re-use them, but for how long? Once they tear, you will throw them away.

Thank you for your response :)

The online survey is useless. Please fill in the DOC file and upload it here :)

:p still non biodegradable? Just one google check gave me lots of Indian companies manufacturing biodegradable plastic bags etc.
Check this link below. Its one of the indian companies you get while searching in google for biodegradable plastic.

BioDegradable Polythene Bags, Sheets, Covers, Eco Friendly Plastic Carry Bags, Laundry Bags, Garbage Bags, Bio Medical Waste Bags, Bio Degradable Plastic Bags, Bio Degradable Carry Bags, India

BIKeINSTEIN said:
The last options were not to my liking though- it seemed biased imho. :).
Seemed ?

It IS blatantly biased and the reasons given are an absolute farce. Had composed a post earlier that shredded them but trashed it when I realised this survey was put together without much thought or time and just to get the required course credits.

It was not taken seriously to begin with :)

Unbiased without leading questions ? Sure there are and its imperative given this is a general public poll.

The biggest flaw about it is that it ignores all the other plastic that we have in our life of which plastic bags are a small minority. Just look around your house.

blr_p said:
Unbiased without leading questions ? Sure there are and its imperative given this is a general public poll.

The biggest flaw about it is that it ignores all the other plastic that we have in our life of which plastic bags are a small minority. Just look around your house.

Agree on the leading part. I just could not answer a question no matter how hard I tried to fit in.

However the surveyor, I think, is primarily trying to address the issue of animals consuming the plastic bags. The other reasons are just a bonus. And having seen some gross pictures first hand I would say I agree that it is a serious concern. Its practical to plan one step at a time.

Renegade said:
Agree on the leading part. I just could not answer a question no matter how hard I tried to fit in.
ok

Renegade said:
However the surveyor, I think, is primarily trying to address the issue of animals consuming the plastic bags.
You're just pulling my leg here :lol:

Animals will learn not to eat plastic. They have evolved defensive mechanisms over millions of years, they reproduce faster than we do so in a several generations everything will be ok. There must be a million things out there they should not eat, why does it have to plastic :)

The photo was a cheap stunt to pull at emotions.

I've posted this before but will do so again as its very appropriate.

[youtube]eScDfYzMEEw[/youtube]

Filled it in. The survey did not feel quite right though. Just my opinion. I felt that questions 20 and 21 had incomplete choices.

Attachments

• Questionnaire - Plastic bags wo pics_Hari .doc
    72 KB · Views: 217
blr_p said:
There must be a million things out there they should not eat, why does it have to plastic :)

The photo was a cheap stunt to pull at emotions.

I've posted this before but will do so again as its very appropriate.

They eat that becoz the organic garbage gets dumped in those packets. Its not as if they like the taste and the chew factor :p

Will it be appropriate to leave the corrective action on evolution when we are the ones introducing the catalyst. What if evolution cannot keep pace.

And I am not even talking about that photo in the survey. Frankly it should not have been there. OR maybe have a pre and post survey to judge the emotional bias.

Will check out the video later, cannot access right now.

Renegade said:
They eat that becoz the organic garbage gets dumped in those packets. Its not as if they like the taste and the chew factor :p
All they have to learn to do is spit out the plastic.
Renegade said:
Will it be appropriate to leave the corrective action on evolution when we are the ones introducing the catalyst. What if evolution cannot keep pace.
The influenenza virus keeps the best labs in the world busy every year :)

Compare that to a multicellular animal with a brain.

6pack said:
:p still non biodegradable? Just one google check gave me lots of Indian companies manufacturing biodegradable plastic bags etc.
Check this link below. Its one of the indian companies you get while searching in google for biodegradable plastic.

BioDegradable Polythene Bags, Sheets, Covers, Eco Friendly Plastic Carry Bags, Laundry Bags, Garbage Bags, Bio Medical Waste Bags, Bio Degradable Plastic Bags, Bio Degradable Carry Bags, India

But is there any data on how many supermarkets or other stores are using these bags? If they are, then it's a good step.

Back