Car & Bike Swift or i10

I am looking at Swift LXI/VXI and the i10 Magna with the 1.2l Kappa engine.

After the test drive I find that I like Swift's engine power A LOT but the exteriors are plain butt ugly (at least to me). The i10 interiors are quite good and exterior is acceptable. The i10 looses considerable power when the AC is turned on.

What are you guy's view?

if ur running is very high, get Swift VDi (Diesel) it spanks everyone's ass and gives 22KMPL average!! ive myself droven and it feels very responsive and gives amazing pickup..

Just as any other buying decision, standard questions apply:

1. What is your budget? (Maximum limit, ensure you set one).
2. Where do you plan to drive this and what is the expected running per month? (City, highway etc)
3. Who is this meant for? (Family, bachelor, soon-to-be-family, couple)
4. What are you looking for in the car? (Economy, power, fun-to-drive, useability, space, image etc)
5. How tall are you? What is your build? (Crucial in deciding on the car itself).
6. What car do you currently drive? (Not important but still a deciding factor on how you perceive new cars).
Now before you answer all that, the i10 and the Swift are totally different cars BUT they fall in the same bracket due to the pricing of the i10 Kappa 1.2 and the Swift Lxi/Vxi. So its a fair competition. I am not going not give any recommendations till you answer the above questions, but till then here are the options in what I think is your range of pricing and utility:

1. MS Swift Vxi
2. MS Ritz Vxi
3. MS A-Star Zxi
4. Hyundai i10 Kappa Magna
5. Hyundai i10 Kappa Magna Sports
6. Fiat Punto 1.4 Dynamic/Active
7. Tata Indica Vista Terra Quadrajet
8. MS Swift LDi
9. Fiat Palio 1.6 Sport (yes for the same price!)
10. Hyundai Getz CRDi (pure power and similar price)
11. Chevrolet Spark LT with opt. airbags
12. Hyundai i20 Asta (over-priced though)
13. Chevrolet U-VA (just an outside contender)
14. New Ford iKon 1.3 ROCAM
15. Skoda Fabia 1.2 Active

...and this is before we get to pre-owned options. :)

SOO...please to reply. I hope you appreciate that 4-5lakhs of monies are a big deal and its always sensible to see ALL the options before you decide. Atleast you feel you've worked hard enough and plus you get free test-drives. :D

Cheers!
Payne

Here are the answers.

1. What is your budget?
4.5L to 5L

2. Where do you plan to drive this and what is the expected running per month?
Mostly city but I will be driving to Chennai every 2 months or so.

3. Who is this meant for?
Bachelor (me)

4. What are you looking for in the car?
Power and fun to drive.

5. How tall are you? What is your build?
175cm and the build is heavy.

6. What car do you currently drive?
Hyundai Accent in Dehradun.

I would have gone for the Swift mostly but it has a 4 months waiting period right now and that is really putting me off. I want the car in hand as soon as possible as I am not using any financing.

Most ppl tend to go with the most popular option, where they can't go wrong, in this case the MS Swift.

So there is a reasonable waiting period to cater to the demand.

If only ppl were open to trying out new options we wouldn't have this problem.

@VanishingNerd

The Swift is a really good option (apart from its stale interiors) but you could check out other options.

If you have been used to an Accent and are looking for power + fun to drive car , wont both the Swift and the i10 be a downgrade comparatively ?

How important is this car to you as a daily ride ? Safest choice would be the Swift afaik but if you are willing to experiment , I would point you the Palio way

Hmmm...based on your answers thus far and with the highway drives a possibility, I would suggest ONLY the Fiat Grande Punto 1.4 Dynamic at that range.

The i10 will bore you after a while with its lack of power and dynamics, it does have high quality interiors though. Give the Punto an honest try, I don't see why you wouldn't buy it. :)

The Palio 1.6 Sports falls right in the price bracket and suits everything else but is quite outdated on the interiors bit and is not exactly a champ on Fuel Efficiency front also, otherwise its a champ of a car that one.

The Punto 1.4 Dynamic is my #1 recommendation - its got great dynamics (in fact the best apparently), contemporary interiors, solid power (90PS), good space in the front and looks stunning. The i10 is in a completely different class when compared to GP.

(Of the cars above, I've driven everything but the Ritz, Spark, i20 and the GP - but the GP's reviews have been outstandingly positive everywhere).

TD a Punto and let us know!
Payne

VanishingNerd said:
Here are the answers.

1. What is your budget?
4.5L to 5L

2. Where do you plan to drive this and what is the expected running per month?
Mostly city but I will be driving to Chennai every 2 months or so.

3. Who is this meant for?
Bachelor (me)

4. What are you looking for in the car?
Power and fun to drive.

5. How tall are you? What is your build?
175cm and the build is heavy.

6. What car do you currently drive?
Hyundai Accent in Dehradun.

I would have gone for the Swift mostly but it has a 4 months waiting period right now and that is really putting me off. I want the car in hand as soon as possible as I am not using any financing.

if you are paying cash - walk in to a dealership and get your car
they always have cars - you are going for the petrol - the diesel is more of a waiting period car than the petrol

once you talk to them - they will always have a car ready from somewhere to be delivered to you in 4 days

a friend of mine got an i20 in 4 days flat.
before that 3 maruti dealerships magically had swifts ready for him to buy!!
this is for *Xi not *Di
:)
good luck

I finally settled on the i10. The Grande Punto was a bit out of my already over-stretched budget, but that car is a looker. The styling of it is awesome. Did not get a chance to test drive it though. Some bugger had crashed their test drive car. *grumble* It is more in competition to i20/Dezire anyhow.

Did not go for the Swift because I find it just plain ugly. i10 gave me more or less everything I was looking for. Settled for the i10 Magna @4.55L. Getting it tomorrow.

My bank account is EMPTY!!

Thanks guys for all your help. Now I need to look for a music system for the car.

VanishingNerd said:
I finally settled on the i10. The Grande Punto was a bit out of my already over-stretched budget, but that car is a looker. The styling of it is awesome. Did not get a chance to test drive it though. Some bugger had crashed their test drive car. *grumble* It is more in competition to i20/Dezire anyhow.

Did not go for the Swift because I find it just plain ugly. i10 gave me more or less everything I was looking for. Settled for the i10 Magna @4.55L. Getting it tomorrow.

My bank account is EMPTY!!

Thanks guys for all your help. Now I need to look for a music system for the car.

The Hyundai i10 is a nice little car for city driving !

Do update this thread with pics after IT gets home.

Enjoy your new ride !:hap2:

Nice choice anyway. That car has wonderful interiors and is a hoot to drive in the city as mentioned - super-light steering, sharp gear-shift and light. :) Lotsa fun.

Congrats!
Payne

Back