Symbian or Non-Symbian?

Dono whether this has been discussed previously or not.... and i dint find it on search too..
Nowadays, both symbian and non-symbain phones are available at almost the same price... And in future if more phones become available, the older symbian phones will become much lower in price... and more featured phones with or without symbian may come...
So wat is you ppl opinion.. whether symbian phone is more useful than the non-symbian one..
say, k750i is regarded as best these days.. it is non-symbian na..
while 6630 is best in symbian too.. even the small 6230i is just a series 40 but everyone recommends it..though it is priced more that 6630...
similarly samsung phones i havent seen any with OS.. are there any?
which one do u prefer?

if you like to install apps and stuff symbian is the way to go.of your happy with the default feature set and dont plan to add anything extra go for a non symbian phone like k750i

Symbian OS provides the added ability to install softwares and games which provide a diffrent outlook and tricks for the phone....Non symbian phones can only install Java softwares and games...which are quite boring and dont have much variety...

Samsung phones have there own UI and they do not use the symbian or series 40 platform of the nokia phones...

So its basically on ur choice...

oh god.. i m not asking u ppl to help me.. i m just thinking why some ppl go for the non-symbian type phones like k750i or samsung, motorola etc.when there are so many advantages of OS.... isnt smartphones better then?

well u get a more powerful device in a symbian fone. My Nokia N70 does full screen html webbrowsing on EDGE which is the killer deal for me. The 220Mhz processor n 34mb free ram simply make it way more functional than any nonsymbian device.

That’s depends on hell lot of things, for me, the speed matters a lot.
If I had chance then, I prefer non-symbian if it has basic media player, HTML browser, voice recorder, good memory space and an organizer. The symbian OS make phone very slow.
Smart phone are not always better, if it get a problem with the software then we hardly find service here (sply asia pacific). Most of the big players (even nokia) will not give any guarantee on installation of new software apps or even upgradation of their own applications and warranty will be void if we do so.

many people cannot really explore the full potential of Symbian phones, so they preefr the ease of use of other excellent phnoes like k750i

Also, there is a false notion that Symbian phones tend to crash/hang too very often which basically stems from the fact that once u start a application, it will not close down till you explictly exit it....

Many people just click no and assume that the app has closed though it keeps running in the background hogging precious memory till the number of open apps goes so high that the poor phone crashes

The way to switch to open applications and then exit them (On Nokia series 60) is to keep the menu button pressed for a few seconds to display a rudimentary task manager ...

oh god.. i m not asking u ppl to help me.. i m just thinking why some ppl go for the non-symbian type phones like k750i or samsung, motorola etc.when there are so many advantages of OS.... isnt smartphones better then?

It totally depends on the needs of the person, if he/she wants a top class camera+mp3 phone, nothing would even come close to the K750i. but if they are more interested in the PIM aspect of the phone then he/she is better off with symbian phones :)

depends symbians main problems are slow [i am not saying the nseries] ... the lags u need to maintain them .. if ukeep running a program it runs in the task manager and drains battery .. prone to virus attacks .. core system can be accessed etc etc etc ..
pros > loks good and can install softwares well hghly modified ones
but i can care less about a video player or mp3 player rather than how it works :)
cheers

Hmm well the following is my opinion

Smartphones are great, atleast the symbian phones.Tht is is mainly because of the rock solid Symbian OS and thousands of little apps floatin around the net.... For ex. Take Opera 8 fr S60. It is as good as html browsing gets on phone.

also on normal(non-smartphones), there are several limitations.
Like creating folders,moving files. all this becomes simple in Smartphones b'cause u can install apps like "fileman" and "FE explorer"

One more thing is that with non smartphones,u tend to get bored a week after u buy the phone. But in case of symbian u always gets new apps ...

So if u want to get more frm ur phone get symbian.It rocks.it's addictive.

But the mp3 and camera level of SE phones beat the hell out of nokia phones inludin n70.
Now u hav to decide whether u want the better flexible OS or better camera and mp3 player....

fr bd...

chck out the nokia 6681. It is same as 6630 but a much better design with a flash for the camera... priced arnd 15k. what's more available in black...
If u want non smartphone get K750i . fr me these two are currently the best phones arnd 16k.

more power.

bluediamond said:

Yeah it is. The OS itself is millions better.

Well, why do people prefer SE's and Moto's over Nokia's then? Its because the only good thing they find in Nokia is the Symbian OS. All their phones have business designs (which get boring, look at 6600, then 6630, then 6681, then N70, and you'll fall asleep) And they generaly don't even have any other leading feature like Music player (which can act and give audio output like a pro mp3 player + Nokia doesn't have good headphones support) Or Camera.

SE and Moto on the other hand reek of eyecandy's. Look at K750i, E398, W800i, Razr series, W900i, S700i. They give tons more style plus have leading quality of other features like Music (look no further than SE phones, specialy the W series, they tend to give the Ipod Nano run for their money) plus camera (W800/K750 have the best 2mp camera even though they were the first ones to arrive in in the market, N70, N90, all without autofoucs puts them below SE's phones when it comes to camera even with Carl Zeiss Lens)

With all that, SE and Moto have accelarated 3d grahpics on there latest phones. J2me 3d games on it look just as good as the Symbian games. And there are still worthy checking out applications that can be installed, like Opera Mini (turns your Java phone an HTML browser, or Nes Emulators and you can play your old school classics and tons more others)

In one put - Blockia's phones are all geared towards the business class. SE and Moto have phones both the younger and business crowd raves.

And sometimes they just don't care about Applications (which the symbian mostly provides support for)

Back