Storage Solutions Synology DS420j

guest_999

Adept
Apr 5, 2012
I would strongly suggest Jellyfin in this use case. Use any 7th gen or newer intel processor, and you have quicksync doing all the heavy lifting. Audio is still transcoded by the CPU, but I have not had one issue so far. Running i3 8100 and 8500T.
Not sure but isn't plex more "avg user friendly" than jellyfin. Hardware accelerated encoding in plex is also possible but it requires their paid plex pass.

m0h1t

drinks like a fish
Patron
Sep 29, 2007

codwapeace

Disciple
Nov 9, 2018
Nice, I thought they didn't support docker. Did you set aside 512MB for the pihole from the available 1GB Ram in the NAS itself?

I was actually considering the DS418 by paying an extra 6-7k over the DS420j. I read that it has an extra GB of RAM and supports BTRFS, better design etc but with the same cpu. I'm not sure how important BTRFS is but read a lot on reddit where people kept recommending to go for a Synology NAS with BTRFS.
I didn’t need to allocate specific memory amount. I don’t think it needs 512MB in any case.
Which DSM version are you using?

You seem to be right but it is just that their 2nd graph where total cpu usage spikes above 80% for small durations they have this "I/O wait" category which got me confused.

For a typical person BTRFS is not that better than EXT4 & might even be less desirable because of its more complex nature & feature set. Ppl on reddit are not your typical users so they prefer BTRFS but even there the more advanced users consider ZFS even better.
The latest one DSM 7. I think docker support was added in the last few months for j series.

rajch2002

Disciple
Aug 31, 2009
i'm currently using this as my dumb storage server. Plex and other apps on other head with remote mount. Only issue is its limited to 1gbps and the 2.5gbe usb c adapters are not working with it. They do load but the moment load comes in it gets stuck and unresponsive. Only way is to hard reboot.

napstersquest

Thread Police
Adept
Nov 26, 2020
Not sure but isn't plex more "avg user friendly" than jellyfin. Hardware accelerated encoding in plex is also possible but it requires their paid plex pass.
Not really. I spent more time in Plex dashboard than Jellyfim dashboard. Plex frequently did transcoding on local clients, reducing the quality significantly instead of direct play.

m0h1t

drinks like a fish
Patron
Sep 29, 2007
Plex has a great plugin ‘tautulli’ for monitoring stats and history

Navier

Disciple
Jan 25, 2023
I ordered the nas before the sale ended, but I now checked that its not flipkart assured. (seller is MPDSLERetail).
I do have the open box delivery check in order details.
Does it matter quality wise if a product is flipkart assured or not?

guest_999

Adept
Apr 5, 2012
btrfs Support - https://www.synoforum.com/threads/d...418j-ds218play-and-ds118-only.5719/post-26996
Was not able to edit the synoinfo.conf using my and admin account
How to login ? I was using winscp
Basically
In /etc/synoinfo.conf and /etc.defaults/synoinfo.conf add a rule that look like: support_btrfs="yes"
- Restart your NAS.
- NAS will supports BTRFS

anyone ?
@vivek.krishnan
Should have checked the supported models list first before trying.

That solution works only for supported models which are also the models mentioned in that thread.

kuduku

Skilled
Dec 9, 2007
Should have checked the supported models list first before trying.

That solution works only for supported models which are also the models mentioned in that thread.
I did buy knowing it and whats the fun without R&D . This NAS is not even mission critical data but crap......

nithin1992

Disciple
Apr 30, 2018
I did buy knowing it and whats the fun without R&D . This NAS is not even mission critical data but crap......
I ended up buying DS418 during the sale for the added protection of BTRFS, additional LAN port, slightly more RAM and the newer design, felt like it would last me longer and would be more dependable albeit slightly more expensive. But the DS420j was on offer at a really attractive price indeed

vivek.krishnan

BLR~ZRS-TX-1-MX
Skilled
Dec 18, 2009
Ghatkopar, Mumbai
plus.google.com
btrfs Support - https://www.synoforum.com/threads/d...418j-ds218play-and-ds118-only.5719/post-26996
Was not able to edit the synoinfo.conf using my and admin account
How to login ? I was using winscp
Basically
In /etc/synoinfo.conf and /etc.defaults/synoinfo.conf add a rule that look like: support_btrfs="yes"
- Restart your NAS.
- NAS will supports BTRFS

anyone ?
@vivek.krishnan

Nice. Might check this out later
I ended up buying DS418 during the sale for the added protection of BTRFS, additional LAN port, slightly more RAM and the newer design, felt like it would last me longer and would be more dependable albeit slightly more expensive. But the DS420j was on offer at a really attractive price indeed

I too contemplated that, but decided to take 2x 420j instead.

nithin1992

Disciple
Apr 30, 2018
Nice. Might check this out later

I too contemplated that, but decided to take 2x 420j instead.
Makes sense. It was a hard decision for me too but then finally decided to get this hoping it would be a one time investment of 18.5k for the next few years and I had no use for 2 NAS's, 40-50TB should last me a long time considering my existing usage.

guest_999

Adept
Apr 5, 2012
Makes sense. It was a hard decision for me too but then finally decided to get this hoping it would be a one time investment of 18.5k for the next few years and I had no use for 2 NAS's, 40-50TB should last me a long time considering my existing usage.
That's good decision. For me the most major con in synology NAS is lack of proper full disk encryption support (aka LUKS) meaning I only put out of warranty drives in there. I know there is option to use encryption for shared folders but it seems to have some major limitations incl the 144 character max path length.

Navier

Disciple
Jan 25, 2023
i thought ds418 was going for 21-22k after coupon and card discounts. how did you get it for 18.5k?