PC Peripherals System freezes!!

akiso

Disciple
I have the K8S-LA compaq motherboard. I recently updated it to 2GB RAM, but since then now or then Igetting a system freeze. The system just hangs with view having a shadow or trail on everthing thats was displayed. Something like this " :jumpy: " jumpy smily have trail

I tried to get error code, but it did not show any blue screen error.
I checked the system compatibility it is fine My RAM is DDR PC3200 400Hz, OS: WinXp sp3

I am sure it is a problem with RAM, I will check with 1GB RAM alone and check the stability. Though I feel that should not be the problem as both the RAM are same product type.

The problem is that it sometimes works very well for long period, but all of a sudden u get a freeze within one or two days. With 256MB RAM it doesnot have a single a hang or so, the system used to get out hardest situation without any hang but it takes time and was very slow.

Any help TE

First, do what you said, and try a single stick at a time. If they both work induvidually, then try them in different ram slots in different combinations (assuming you have more than 2 slots). Also run memtest Memtest86.com - Memory Diagnostic with only one stick of ram in the comp at a time, and see if you get any errors. Actually, you might want to do this step first :p

Just went looking around, and i see that youre not the only one with this problem. But it only seems to happen with 2x1 gb sticks, and not 2x 512 mb sticks. Btw, since you only have two slots, skip the second step i mentioned above. I tried looking around for a bios update that might fix it, but i only found K8S-LA Motherboard BIOS Update  which seems to only be for a printer issue.

Grease! I first tested with MEmtest86 then only I started using them it showed me no errror. And archat68, it not a faulty memory.
One more strang thing I observed I must say, I was seeding a file with utorrent and also using downloadmanager for downloads. Now all my freezes happen whenever I just double-click on them at quick launch to see the progress. May be its a coincidence, but I uninstall utorrent and installed a updated one. Now again the same freeze happen when I did the same with downloadmanager, I uninstall and updated it also. After that till now I have not yet observed any freezes.
But I doubt is there and link between them, but i did it to be just sure. Also in the event viewer I saw that TCP/ip giving some kind of messages, on detail analysis I found in the microsoft that there is no need of any user action for it. Thats let me to think that may be the freezes have some link with network, which may be with download or upload.
As you said that this problem happens with 2x1GB stick, thats making me upset, I hope it doesn't be :no: . U see I obseved an increase in performance with 2GB.

have you checked the temperatures?
i had the same problem with my compaq presario desktop, tried changing the stock hsf with a 'local' one, tried changing the rams, psu....nothing worked....

finally, I got a new rig...:p

Back