CPU/Mobo SYSTEM NOT BOOT Because of bios??

hi to everyone:)
i have got a strange problem with my old system.
i have got an intel 810 motherboard with 128(100mhz) mb ram and celeron 500mhz processor! .got a new atx power supply (400w) as my old power supply gave up on me.:S
(chipset:Intel Whitney 82810 rev 3
Bios Type: Award Modular BIOS v6.00PG
Bios ID : 12/16/2002-i810-NS363-6A69MV39C-00)
the problem is that whenever

1) i start the system all the led's blink once and system dosent boot and the power to the motherboard is switched off.

but then what i did was

2) i the cleared coms using the jumper. and then the system booted fine, but all the bios setting were changed and loaded fail safe defaults( and it showed cmos checksum error).

so.........

3) I got a new cmos battery(cr2032) its 3Volts.and replaced it with the old one in my system and set the cmos clear jumper back to normal. and powered on the system and the story continues....i get step 1).

plz suggest me a solution :huh: for this!!! or why is this happening
i beg all u tech-geek plz:(

Deathbearer said:
i the cleared coms using the jumper. and then the system booted fine, but all the bios setting were changed and loaded fail safe defaults( and it showed cmos checksum error).

so.........

3) I got a new cmos battery(cr2032) its 3Volts.and replaced it with the old one in my system and set the cmos clear jumper back to normal. and powered on the system and the story continues....i get step 1).

If I am not mistaken it is normal to get this CMOS checksum error after removing the battery and clearing the CMOS - all you should need to do is go into the BIOS and change the settings as per your requirement and select "save and exit" if you still see this error then reflash the latest version of the boards BIOS.

I hope you did not power up the system with the jumper in clear CMOS position as this damages some boards permanently. From what I have read in the forums it is highly recommended that when the jumper is set in the Clear CMOS position that the main power cable from the SMPS should be disconnected from the mother board along with all data cables of the drives and USB devices.

@deejay

Is it not normal to get the CMOS checksup error message after clearing the CMOS with the jumper or with a fresh BIOS flash ?

I get this message with every fresh BIOS flash and I go into the BIOS make my changes and save and exit and all is OK after that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Eazy, i had mentioned to reinsert the rams and cpu because the user's m/c's refuses to boot at all even after changing the battery.

For cmos checkum error the user will be well advised, as you have mentioned above, to unplug the mains power cord, then remove the battery , wait 15 to 20 minutes , then press the power switch a few times to discharge any remaining charge in the capacitors on the m/b, reinsert the battery and boot up.

cmos checksum error indicates that the Data stored in the cmos is not what is expected or what was stored, when the bios reads from it during every boot.

deejay said:
Eazy, i had mentioned to reinsert the rams and cpu because the user's m/c's refuses to boot at all even after changing the battery.

cmos checksum error indicates that the Data stored in the cmos is not what is expected or what was stored, when the bios reads from it during every boot.

How do I put this.....By removing and replacing CPU/Ram does the BIOS sort of refresh and reset itself with fresh info of these hardwares ? should the battery be in place during this procedure ?

About the info in second para - I suppose this is why a BIOS flash always ends up with a CMOS CHECKSUM ERROR - this must be as you say "Data stored in the cmos is not what is expected or what was stored, when the bios reads from it during every boot" .... this now makes sense.

Eazy said:
How do I put this.....By removing and replacing CPU/Ram does the BIOS sort of refresh and reset itself with fresh info of these hardwares ? should the battery be in place during this procedure ?

Eazy, removing and reinserting the rams and cpu has nothing to do with bios or checksum error's. but as the user has posted this
Deathbearer said:
the problem is that whenever

1) i start the system all the led's blink once and system dosent boot and the power to the motherboard is switched off.

I had suggested that. since the user (why cant he use a more pleasant user id :huh: ) has not mentioned anything about whether there is any beeps or whether the cpu fan rotates etc .... and note i had specifically mentioned "for starters" , The main course and the desert to follow henceforth if needed;). corrupt cmos is just one of the reason for this behavior, there could be many reason for the cpu refusing to boot "at the first attempt". for e.g. a weak psu (out of spec voltages , due to weak caps both on the psu and m/b etc...). i am not implying that there is some problem with the psu or m/b per se but just listing some of the numerous possibilities.

deejay said:
removing and reinserting the rams and cpu has nothing to do with bios or checksum error's. but as the user has posted this.....

I thought that part of the problem was sorted out by Deathbearer... as mentioned in his point number 2 ... but then in point number 3 he says he is back at "led's blink once and system dosent boot and the power to the motherboard is switched off" ...... I am confused at what state his system is at now...

Deej...What about starting from a cold boot with Insert key pressed .... I heard this helps in such situations ... sometimes.... it helped me once from getting out of a bad BIOS flash and a blank screen after boot.

thanks for ur reply guys!

deejay: Try removing and reinserting the rams and cpu for starters

buddy i have have already done that but no luck.

deejay: has not mentioned anything about whether there is any beeps or whether the cpu fan rotates etc .... and note i had specifically mentioned "for starters" , The main course and the desert to follow henceforth if needed. corrupt cmos is just one of the reason for this behavior, there could be many reason for the cpu refusing to boot

no man i dont here any beeps sound only the leds(hdd, cdrom,) blink once and then the system powers down if the jumper is set on normal. the system only boots when i set the jumper to clear cmos option.

Eazy, Deejay i want know that is it possible to flash bios when the jumper is set to "clear cmos" option, because thats the only way i canturn my pc on.

and one more thing? what is boot block protection?. i have a jumper for that too but i dont have any idea what it does.

looking froward for ur reply thanks in advance!

Deathbearer said:
no man i dont here any beeps sound only the leds(hdd, cdrom,) blink once and then the system powers down if the jumper is set on normal. the system only boots when i set the jumper to clear cmos option.

Some boards should not be powered on with the clear CMOS jumper set... I was at one of the main hardware retailers in Mumbai and the "engineer" in the shop was troubleshoting an ASUS board and he placed this jumper to clear the CMOS and he was about to power the MoBo and I mentioned to him that he should be carefull about powering up the MoBo ..... he did not listen to me and switched on power and there was an explosion on the MoBo ( I am sure I saw a small mushroom cloud over the board :) ) - a capacitor or resistor had blown like a bomb !! Visually examine yuour board and make sure all is OK and also do a smell test to confirm no burned parts.
Eazy, Deejay i want know that is it possible to flash bios when the jumper is set to "clear cmos" option, because thats the only way i canturn my pc on.

and one more thing? what is boot block protection?. i have a jumper for that too but i dont have any idea what it does.

I dont think you should try flashing a BIOS with the jumper in Clear CMOS position. Boot Block is the part of the BIOS which protects you from the problem you seem to have - it makes sure if the BIOS gets corrupted a min amount of features will still be available to run a BIOS flash again - even if you dont get any display on screen - maybe the CDROM and floppy drive will be usable. Normally with the Boot Block intact you should be able to flash the BIOS with the Mother Boards original CDROM.

Eazy said:
Deej...What about starting from a cold boot with Insert key pressed .... I heard this helps in such situations ... sometimes.... it helped me once from getting out of a bad BIOS flash and a blank screen after boot.

Pressing the insert key while cold boot will load the default fail safe values.which in most cases is useful when you are doing extreme overclocking and the system does not boot due to wrong cpu and ram settings.

@ DB,
just curious , are you sure the markings on the m/b of the cmos jumper are correct.?? i mean make sure the jumper settings 1-2 , 2-3 denote the correct settings. you can double check by refering to the manual or the m/b co. website. i know most of the times they are correctly printed but there is no harm in checking it.....

secondly , have you tried to erase the cmos data by removing the battery for an extended period of time.???
leaving the battery out overnight sometimes helps too.

all that the clear cmos jumper does is disconnect the power(battery) to the cmos memory portion of of the chip. which erases the data. when the pc is "ON" the power to the cmos is supplied by the m/c's psu.

what happens when you remove the jumper completely. does ur m/c boot ??
if yes then you can try flashing the bios. but at this unstable condition of ur m/c i would be extremely cautious in flashing.

First and the most important thing i m thanking u both cooldudes (deejay, Eazy):hap2:

because of ur suggestion. i got an idea :clap: here it is:

1). booted the computer with jumper set to clear cmos setting.

Originally Posted by Easy

I dont think you should try flashing a BIOS with the jumper in Clear CMOS position. Boot Block is the part of the BIOS which protects you from the problem you seem to have - it makes sure if the BIOS gets corrupted a min amount of features will still be available to run a BIOS flash again - even if you dont get any display on screen - maybe the CDROM and floppy drive will be usable. Normally with the Boot Block intact you should be able to flash the BIOS with the Mother Boards original CDROM.

2). so going by this advice after the computer booted that switched back the jumper to normal. and then flashed my old bios that came with my MOBO.(Kept my fingers crossed):ashamed:

3). after flashing i restarted the pc and "boom" :tongue: it booted fine :hap2: :clap: with jumper set to normal. problem solved

once agian thank u buddies

Back