Tablet for reading (comics) and watching movies (You Tube/Amazon Prime/ Netflix)

bookoon

Disciple
Hi All

I hope I am posting this in the correct section.

Need your advice in shortlisting a tablet that would primarily be used by my Dad (Sr. Citizen) as a replacement of heavy books. He might also be watching movies on the same, primarily YouTube. If I get a chance to share the device, I will be mainly in Amazon Prime :). I don't think there would be any gaming involved except for a few card ones, like solitaire et. al. or Sudoku.

My main criteria would be the display quality without straining the eyes, followed by sound and battery back-up.
My budget is around 20K.

I am not looking at Kindle since i need a colored display. i-pads are way above my budget.

Thanks!

Buy a used Samsung Galaxy tab , lower end variants arent good but the mid-higer versions are very good with the best screens on any tablets.

If you are not able to get a used Samsung tab then you can go for a used ipad which is better hardware-wise (durability) but not software wise.

Thanks for your quick replies. @nitin_g3 and @msankadi

I am getting the drift that 20K is probably too low for a decent tablet that is OK on resolution and Movie watching. :grumpy:

I prefer not to buy a second hand product, as it is a gift for Dad.
I can let go of Netflix/ Amazon prime if that helps the budget. Let's concentrate on e-books (colour display). :bookworm:

Cheers!

If you can wait, then maybe you can get a fire HD tablet imported from US through a fellow TE member named Rahul.

Consider Samsung Galaxy Tab A7 too. I bought for my kid for his online class and I really like it has great loud sound and dual (or quad I think) speakers. It has android so you can Install 3rd party apps too for more stuff. Screen is also Full HD and more I guess. Honestly this was more of an impulse buy for me since priority was my kid's class and I did little research (unlike me) but still I like this tablet.

I also have iPad 8th gen and that too would fit the bill and reliability of ipads is stellar (still have iPad 2 from 2012 working). Software wise it is little restricted compared to android but for your use case, I don't think it matters.

I have a question for those who use the Fire Tab.

Would i be able to log in with my Indian Netflix, Prime, Hotstar (For Disney+ content) accounts if i pick up this device from the US ? Especially since the google appstore is not available on the device and the tabs are not sold in India...

Would i be able to log in with my Indian Netflix, Prime, Hotstar (For Disney+ content) accounts if i pick up this device from the US ? Especially since the google appstore is not available on the device and the tabs are not sold in India...

I have Fire HD 10 and Fire 7. Everything works fine. Just that the amazon app store may not have india specific apps and paid apps may show price in dollars. Just install Google play store and associated apks and you will have access to all apps.

On xda forum, you will get a windows app that you can use to install the Google stuff and disable many of the amazon stuff and such.

PS: I have been using my fire hd 10 since 2018 and fire 7 since mid 2019.

I have Fire HD 10 and Fire 7. Everything works fine. Just that the amazon app store may not have india specific apps and paid apps may show price in dollars. Just install Google play store and associated apks and you will have access to all apps.

On xda forum, you will get a windows app that you can use to install the Google stuff and disable many of the amazon stuff and such.

Thanks mate, I'll be sure to check out those forums once I get my hands on the Tab. Now the long wait until the next Amazon Sale out in the US. Guessing the 4th July Sales should start off by mid to late June.

This is reg the Fire Tab: In India, Netflix works fine. I don't use others.

As mentioned by @raksrules Google Play store and services can be very easily sideloaded as Fire tabs are anyway is based on Android.

In my fire hd10 I was able to switch to India market for the Kindle Store, but that meant losing a lot of fancy stuff like the alexa display mode which I was using it as a beside display.

If you can extend your budget a littlr bit you can get samsung tab s7 lite wifi for around 23k with hdfc and most of the samsung also offers buds plus for 2k extra...

Back