Taking a car to india

becks

Disciple
Okay guys I need your help.Basically my sister is getting married in india and my parents wanna giver her a car.Im from london so i wanted to know how it works and is it expensive to do so?

I would appreaciate it if someone could help me.

Thanks

well, I assume you wanna get a car from UK to India?

Couple of export regulations to go through n it ll cost you of course :p

For more info, please post on team-bhp forums.

unless its an exotic car, whats the point of going through all the hassles when you can buy loads of cars locally these days

if it is indeed exotic then get ready to pay a helluva duty unless u know insiders, which I doubt you do

IIRC customs on cars were 150% and the car to be imported from the country of manufacture, although am not sure about this so will leave someone else to comment

^^Yesh 150% AFAIK;

Let ur parents get her a good sedan from India rather than going thru all the hassles of exporting it from there; :)

yup, what do you need, everything from mercedes to BMW is available locally anyway :p

saves u the hassle + you get full local support/parts/service etc for the same as well.

Besides customs and clearance, shipping will cost you heavily as well. IMO, doesn't make sense at all, buy a car locally, your sister will have piece of mind with spares and service as well.

Do post your budget and I'm sure you'll have good inputs on your purchase!

All these rules are made by indian govt. to protect local car market from global heat/competetion. This will enable local market to upgrade/uplift so that they can compete with global market.

Unfortunately.. local market takes this protection for granted and wish if such protection is limitless.

Impact? .. as a end user .. we dont get best value for money and not all the options are available !!!

The duty AFAIK is 105%. So a car that costs 10,00,000 INR in UK will cost 21,50,000 in India.

BTW, I agree with posters above, it will be much better to buy a car in India itself.

105% is just the customs. Plus you have 24% excise + 20k if its more than a 2000cc engine (likely)+4% Surcharge if the engine is below 3liter + road tax(12.5% of the above combined in blore)+registration+octroi (if applicable)+insurance.

It doesn't make any sense whatsoever unless you are importing an exotic.

Back