Tamil Nadu Bans Online Gaming Involving Betting; Rs. 5,000 Fine, Imprisonment for Violators

6pack

ex-Mod
Source: https://gadgets.ndtv.com/games/news...inance-rs-5000-fine-jail-imprisonment-2328300

An ordinance to "ban online gaming" involving betting, has been promulgated by the Tamil Nadu government in the backdrop of suicides by gamers who allegedly lost money, and any violation would attract both fine and imprisonment, ranging up to two years.

The ordinance was promulgated by Governor Banwarilal Purohit on Friday based on a proposal from the state government, days after Chief Minister K Palaniswami promised action in this connection.

Incidentally, Andhra Pradesh had recently banned online gaming, besides betting and gambling, while neighbouring Union Territory Puducherry wrote to the Centre seeking a similar action on such activities following the alleged suicide of a man who lost money in it.

"Due to online gaming, innocent people, mainly youngsters are being cheated and some people have committed suicide. In order to avoid such incidents of suicide and protect the innocent people from the evils of online gaming," the Government submitted the proposal, seeking amending relevant police acts, the release said.

The ordinance also banned "electronic transfer of funds" used for wagering or betting, distributing the winnings, prize money and punishing those running the company which conducts online gaming by wagering and betting.

When certain countries are making gaming a profession , here people with tiny brain , instead of strengthening counselling and providing better care to the needy/depressed , is trying to ban gaming.. am i reading it right ? shouldnt it be not gambling ?

When certain countries are making gaming a profession , here people with tiny brain , instead of strengthening counselling and providing better care to the needy/depressed , is trying to ban gaming.. am i reading it right ? shouldnt it be not gambling ?

Out of sight, out of mind. Indian government mantra for everything.

Eh ? This is only for online betting as far as I can see.

Dunno why people are against it, but I think it's a great step. There is no way to determine what your odds are in betting, and families have gone to tethers with people losing out their savings and even going into debt with betting.

The states have no skin in the game. The entire revenue is going to the center. And the payout of the states is fixed. For the states, there is no downside to banning revenue generating businesses.
Eh ? This is only for online betting as far as I can see.

Dunno why people are against it, but I think it's a great step. There is no way to determine what your odds are in betting, and families have gone to tethers with people losing out their savings and even going into debt with betting.
It affects Fantasy Cricket, Poker and Rummy mainly. Betting is already illegal in India.

Also, families have been ruined because of alcohol, cigarettes and too much sugar from sweets and soft drinks because diabetes leads to heart diseases and kidney failures. We can't ban all these things just because some people can't control themselves. If they worry about the youth then ban it for under 25 or something. Why ban for everyone.

Whenever something is banned, it goes underground. So people will still access it but need to use jugaad. On paper it will be claimed that the govt. has banned it but people will still use it.
Banning is supposed to be a measure of last resort when all other measures fail. But in current times if you cannot think how to stop it, BAN IT!!

Anyhow, Anurag thakur is already batting to legalising betting. If he has his way, I don't think this law from Tamil Nadu will prevail.(Central law takes precedence over state law on same subject).

Last edited:
Whenever something is banned, it goes underground. So people will still access it but need to use jugaad. On paper it will be claimed that the govt. has banned it but people will still use it.
Banning is supposed to be a measure of last resort when all other measures fail. But in current times if you cannot think how to stop it, BAN IT!!

Anyhow, Anurag thakur is already batting to legalising betting. If he has his way, I don't think this law from Tamil Nadu will prevail.(Central law takes precedence over state law on same subject).
Exactly what I was expecting. Center has a skin in the game. It needs revenues from gaming unlike states whose revenue is not directly dependent on the sector. The current setup means that states have no incentive to promote businesses like these. It is much easier to promote responsible gaming when you have big trustworthy players in the market like Dream11 and Rummycircle. It is much harder to control underground operators that may come up if the industry is banned.

Last edited:
The states have no skin in the game. The entire revenue is going to the center. And the payout of the states is fixed. For the states, there is no downside to banning revenue generating businesses.

It affects Fantasy Cricket, Poker and Rummy mainly. Betting is already illegal in India.

Also, families have been ruined because of alcohol, cigarettes and too much sugar from sweets and soft drinks because diabetes leads to heart diseases and kidney failures. We can't ban all these things just because some people can't control themselves. If they worry about the youth then ban it for under 25 or something. Why ban for everyone.
I am always in favor of taxing these items much higher than they are if it deters people from going down the drain.
Cigs already have huge warnings on the label, and it is mandatory to show short snippets of how harmful they are pre movie runs.
Alcohol is accepted as a social poison. Does not make it right, but tax it hard I say.
Cold drinks - there were already talks on sugar tax, no idea if it materialized or not. But again, as a citizen, I am all for it. Childhood obesity is booming like anything.

Still, does not make it right to gamble/bet. Many people are unable to control themselves, and it just doesn't ruin them, it also ruins their families - kids, spouse etc.

Sorry for diverting the topic a little bit...just curious But Wasn't this the state that didn't allow online payment of electricity bills through 3rd party apps as well?
Can it just be that they want to be more composed and control the online penetration

Back