Camera Tamron SP 70-300mm f/4-5.6 Di VC USD vs Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM

-Guevara-

Disciple
Yes i know there are better ones but these are in my mudget so which one should i buy (for my 550D) and why ?

Have to tell my cousin in usa which one to bring for me...he's coming to India in a month time!

Thats THE easiest decision you will EVER have to make. There is simply no two ways about which one to choose.

Get the 70-300mm IS lens. Why ?

Because the Tamron lens will be released only in December. :(

^^ Nah, I dont think so. There is every chance that stocks can get delayed.

Also the Canon 70-300mm IS lens is in any case a great lens with good IQ. The Tamron matches the IQ and focus speed and has FTM (Full time manual focusing) which the Canon does not. However in the used market the Canon will have a better resale value.

So purely on the basis of specs and performance which is better ?

I can wait even longer instead of buying inferior lens few months early.

There is no real inferior lens. Both lenses are almost equally sharp. You will hardly be able to distinguish IQ.

Tamron has a slightly faster AF which is silent while the Canon has a fast but slightly slower AF than the Tamron.

Both have good build quality and the Canon will have a better resale value. Plus it will be easier to fix in Mumbai as there are lots of Canon service centres. :)

So if i read in between the lines you are saying i should buy canon.

In usa tamron is $399 after rebate while canon is near $550. Im not planning on selling any time soon. This will be a hard decision...when taking into account that there are no tamron service centers in delhi (i could be wrong but im certain there are none)

Yes. :)

Canon is safer. In the US Tamron comes with a freaking 6 year warranty and they have plenty of service centres. I have no qualms about buying a lens for 8k or so without warranty buy when I spend 25 - 30k I need to know I am safe. :p

In Mumbai, yes. In Delhi I dunno.

The thing is the Tamron Mumbai guy told me he doesn't fix Tamron lenses not bought in India. :S

I dunno if it was true or not but I got scared and I dropped my plans on getting a Tamron lens from the US. :(

^^ You are right. Tamron has a 1 year international warranty along with Sigma. Tamron has an additional 5 year US warranty over and above the 1 year warranty.

However when I spoke to the Tamron service centre they told me they wont repair a Tamron lens bought from the US.

Well Tamron lenses do not have the best quality but their SP lenses are pretty well made.

That said it has a lot of electronics (USM, VC) and IMO any electronic component can fail at any time. :(

SP lenses are similar to L lenses in that they reserve that name for their best lenses. Even Sigma calls their good lenses as EX lenses. These lenses generally have a better build quality than normal lenses.

Also guys I have made a big mistake ! The Tamron is already launched last month itself in the US. :ashamed:

Back