Tata Broadband + Linksys WRT54g.. What's the right MTU?

Seed

Adept
I've been having problems setting the right MTU for my tata connection. It's a 256kbps untld, not the web based login 1 (static IP). Every few hours the browsing just stops, and if I change the MTU on the router setup page from say 1500 to 1492, again the browsing works. After a couple of hrs, again it stops and I have to change the MTU to something else. Anyone know whats the right MTU I should use so I don't have this problem? I had the same connection at my old house but never faced this problem. After shifting to my new place this shit has been bugging me :mad:

can you check dhcp settings, i wonder if your local ip is getting expired and your OS (windows?) is not renewing...

when you get disabled what happens if you type "ipconfig /renew" in a command prompt?

I'm pretty sure its MTU. P2P apps, MSN etc works at such times. Only browsing stops, and starts as soon as I change the MTU to some other random number.

It's not a PPPoE connection. I don't have to dial to connect.

@vishal: I have a static IP from Tata.

oh, only browsing? which browser? i sometimes get similar problems with FireFox 3 Beta 5 then I need to run "ipconfig /flushdns" in the command prompt to try to get it to work again :)

if its FF then i am sure there is a settings somewhere in the "about:config" page to take care of this... gotta hunt for it...

but these days i dont get the problem since i installed TreeWalk DNS server in my PC for local DNS and using opendns.com servers...

Yeah firefox. I'm using opendns too.. I don't think its the browser though, coz my sis faced the same problem a couple of times on IE. :(

did you try "ipconfig /flushdns" ? report what happens when you try that.

i also was earlier using opendns without local treewalk dns and getting this problem...

Back