Tata Docomo pricing throws gauntlet

shirish

Skilled
Hi all,
Read a very interesting in today's DNA Newspaper.

K V Ramana / DNA
Friday, July 17, 2009 1:52 IST

Hyderabad: Tata Docomo, the latest entrant into the GSM-based mobile telephony space, has lined up a tariff plan that could potentially be a game-changer.

Breaking away from the fixed tariff -- the minimum 60-second pulse -- the joint venture between Tata Teleservices and the Japanese telecom major NTT Docomo is offering a billing pulse of one second.

"The response to this has been overwhelming. What we thought of achieving in one quarter has already been achieved in terms of customer numbers in 10 days," Tata Teleservices Ltd managing director Anil Sardana said.

The company, which has licence to operate in 19 circles, has launched services in 5 circles so far -- Kerala, Karnataka, Tamil Nadu, Andhra Pradesh and Orissa. It plans to have the same tariff everywhere it operates.

The national rollout will be over by October.

According to Sardana, in the existing plans offered by various mobile companies, customers end up paying for unused minutes.

"Data show excess payment on unused minutes is about 18 to 20% (of a bill). We will charge only for the used seconds and the tariff is one paise per second," he said.

"Under existing tariffs, if a customer is paying 60 paise per minute and speaks for 1 minute and 20 seconds, he is billed for two minutes. The charges would be about Rs 1.20. In our case, since the customer has spoken only for 80 seconds, he pays 80 paise," Sardana said.

Operators have been considering the call termination charges, which are at 20 paise per minute, as a major factor while working on tariffs.

However, another senior official of Tata Docomo, who did not wish to be named, said, the termination charges too are in seconds pulse and Tata Docomo does not see this as a factor in offering the new tariff structure. "We don't pay the operator where the call terminates on minutes pulse. If you speak for three seconds, we pay for three seconds only and the payments are made on a monthly basis. In this, we calculate the total number of seconds used by the customers on our network while making payments to other networks," the official said.

Tata Docomo launched its services in Andhra Pradesh on Thursday. With this, the company has covered the entire South and Orissa.
The company is also working on a handset bundling plan along with Docomo.

In fact, the joint venture is driven by a business and technology cooperation committee (BTCC) with members from both Tata Teleservices and NTT Docomo.

The committee is currently working on the device bundling plan.

"Even in the handset bundling, we are looking at offering value. For instance, we have a plan to offer handsets according to the need of the customers. If a customer wants a handset to keep track of health related issues, we can give him a specific handset. But, we are still working on these plans. We will still call it giving value to customer instead of bundling a handset," he said.

This would be great for us. Although Tata till date hasn't been a real performer. With Docomo's financial muscle and (management) skills it could be a different story. What do you guys think ?

The company, which has licence to operate in 19 circles, has launched services in 5 circles so far -- Kerala, Karnataka, Tamil Nadu, Andhra Pradesh and Orissa. It plans to have the same tariff everywhere it operates.

this is something i would really hope for. i hope mumbai is one of the 19 circles.

yesterday, tata docomo representative came to my office to offer postpaid plans and he said that they give 3000 free minutes with 799 rental plan (std/local). But the customer care is pathetic. you really need to have patience to connect to them.

I purchased Docomo SIM on the first of launch in Bangalore itself,not bcoz of their ultra cheap plan but to check the GPRS speed...

Following is the result of Speed test:

514102222.png

I have seen some others getting in the range of 210kbps!!

This is because, docomo has allocated a dedicated range of spectrum just for Data services :)

Every operator has a dedicated range of spectrum just for data services. Lets see how they fare when their subscriber base grows. Every new entrant has to give fancy tariffs and schemes to lure customers. When they grow they have to conform to the standards set by the leaders, in our case Airtel. So enjoy the benefits while they last, later you can anyway port out to another operator and take your number with you.

PS: 210 Kbps on GPRS is normal for any operator.. this however relies on your signal strength and number of people competing for access from your area

But Tata had the same 1 paisa/sec plan when it first launched. They showed many interesting advertisements on TV which focussed on this tariff.
But after some months they changed the tariff structure to per minute charges. It seems their GSM arm is following the same tactic to increase customer base in a hurry during its initial launch.

I'd wouldn't go anywhere near the telecom service by Tata. Already had enough with their pathetic broadband connection.

^ i dont know how many of you have actually used that damned TATA TruePaid when it had launched way back. it was the same then.. 1 paise per second. All thats just total BS, the billing was never accurate and i got overcharged over a period of time.

They are just increasing their customer base in a hurry. Their broadband service is extremely pathetic...lol i'd stay away from them. :(

^^It was 3paise per second. There is a reason why they had discontinued 1sec pulse rate at that time..

Now they are not going to remove the 1sec pulse rate. Atleast in the near future.

Hi Guys,

Firstly, this is the "official" TATA DOCOMO ID ( no the ID is not fake ). We appreciate all that gets spoken about us on forums such as Techenclave. Apart from this we are constantly ‘re-tweeting’ on Twitter! We look fwd to listening to feedback from ppl, as it encourages us and at the same time keeps us on our toes! Feel free to discuss any matter directly with us either here or on twitter. We believe in attending to and solving problems/doubts ASAP.

We look fwd to your criticisms, encouragement and guidance. Together lets make the TATA DOCOMO experience a one of a kind!

@Bhabishek: seems you are from mumbai. Dont worry Tata Docomo will be launching their soon. Cant put an exact date across at this very point. Till then please do visit the website (tatadocomo.com) and try to understand features of our unique plans

@everyone questioning the validity of the 1paisa/sec offer: it will be present for the fisrt 27,000 secs for all local/STD calls. However the 1 sec pulse is not an offer, it is a tariff. Thus it is long term.

Back