Linux TE Linux survey :P

Shrey

Adept
I'm guessing most people here have been using linux only lately. So a simple survey of sorts about how people find it. (out of general curiosity).

1. Reason for switching/installing - ( I installed it because of general virus/security issues)

2. What you think are the pros - ( Looks :p, Simplicity, Its freee :D,no virus pains,PDF files just zoom :D)

3. Cons - (Still feels a little sluggish, drivers,hunting for codecs after installation)

1. Reason for switching: Some applications which I need can only be run properly in a Linux environment like nMap.

2. Pros: Good for personal use. Quite powerful as a server. It's free, open source.

3. Cons: For a personal level or for a server, linux is good but it sucks for professional use. Just take some cases. You can't run PC Suite from Linux. There is no complete replacement for office products. There is no power IDEs like VS in linux. ICSharp sort of IDEs just don't cut it. The list can go on and on for me.

I work on Unix...so office work is anyway on various unix flavours :p

else still not made a complete switch at home. though i usually keep ubuntu installed in vmware just in case ;)

Reason: Initially it was curiosity(97), now a necessity(08) :)

Pros: I get desktop and dev environment in one install. Cant ask for anything more. Use a custom built dev app and also SPE for python dev work.

Cons: Drivers. Though things have improved a lot, its still not there.

reason : Newfolder.exe, now I thank that virus

Pros : new thing to learn everyday....and the feel is awesome

Cons : Drivers....

Reason : Hmmm....

Pros : Stable, Virus Free, Nice application, Ability to choose Desktop Environment, 3D Composite Effects..

Cons : Maybe Driver Issue !

longtime linux user -

reason :it works!

pros:no av,very superior to window$

cons: FUD from microsoft and its fanboys against Linux ;)

Reason:curiosity again, but addicted now

Pros:free, amazing desktop eyecandy/effects, secure, adaptable on almost anything.. u can have just what u need.

Cons: confusing for beginners(esp. those used to windows), certain compatibility issues, most games made for windows

Pros: Free

Cons: Doesn't run audio on pro sound cards. At least it's not plug and play.

I'll switch in a heartbeat if they can bundle a binary that will get my cards running with the OS. Till then I'm stuck to XP.

Reason: I can't remeber I have been using it for quite a while, most likely curiosity.

Pros: great for LAMP apps, I have been testing different open source CMS and other similar open source products, much easier to do on a Linux box, than uploading to a server. If I could fully switch I would, I think it handles updates much better than windows. I love it's responsiveness too, much less of a resource hog than Vista or Xp

Cons:I have no issues with driver on my current config. The only con for me is software, if I could get full alternatives for all of the software I use, I would switch over to Linux completely. I would love to see Linux really come fully into the mainstream OS market... it's getting closer... but not quite there yet :D So I have a dual boot and use Linux when I don't need windows.

Reason : wanted to explore linux and use it, a long time wish....but havnt fully learnt anything gr8 yet :p

Pros : open source and virus free....can do anything over net without tension..

Cons : well takes time to get accustomed to....no games are supported....

Although I don't use linux for my desktop usage. I prefer windows.

But my all dedicated servers located in US Datacenters, I prefer centOS or debian as they are powerful OS with great abilities to run websites and other scripts.

With control panels like cPanel or DirectAdmin or Plesk being out, its even being easy for a consumer to go ahead and buy linux webhosting.

shrey said:
1. Reason for switching/installing - ( I installed it because of general virus/security issues)

2. What you think are the pros - ( Looks :p, Simplicity, Its freee :D,no virus pains,PDF files just zoom :D)

3. Cons - (Still feels a little sluggish, drivers,hunting for codecs after installation)

1- 2 years ago I had 6 months of spare time with nothing else to do, and a PC and internet for company, figured I'd learn to use a new OS :D

pros- It's bling, its free, i mean everything, so easier on my conscience,its secure - no viruses etc,

Cons - None of the regular games work out of the box, Like NFS. Audio sounds a bit worse, at least on my audigy. the realtek on the other PC sounds more or less the same. learning curve- still not able to work with linux with the same ease of use I have with WinXP,

Back