TE PC Buying Guide August 2012

@ALPHA17 sirjee the insane rig doesn't look quite insane without blue ray writer LG WH14NS40 Internal Blu-ray Writer

Not that I am in the market for such a rig :)

Thanks for the tip Amit, actually I am collating data and a couple more options will be added to this guide. Thank you for the link to the actual product itself; does it come under warranty, if so for how long?

Now, even I cannot afford such a big toy so we are even =].

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the tip Amit, actually I am collating data and a couple more options will be added to this guide. Thank you for the link to the actual product itself; does it come under warranty, if so for how long?

Now, even I cannot afford such a big toy so we are even =].

Prime says
"Standard Warranty: 1 Year Limited"

I can understand that your insane is not the superlative insane , where most components are flown in from abroad. But still, at only 7000, blue ray burner makes sense in a lakh rupee or so computer. 2 cents.

Reading about such rigs has entertainment value, for sure :)

Reading about such rigs has entertainment value, for sure :)

True that, recently we had a thread for a ~2,00,000/-+ RIG so me and Cranky dada go into full blast mode, finally we were ending up with systems that were touching close to ~10,00,000/- (not-inclusive taxes).

Self brag alert

The last one doesn't match my specs :p I better add another 680 GTX in SLI to make it actually insane.. Although I have seen a 680 SLI in the showoff section

For the HTPC configuration, why are we not recommending ITX cabinets and Motherboards. For this particular configuration, ASUS F1A75-I Deluxe and Cooler Master 120 is lot better

For the HTPC configuration, why are we not recommending ITX cabinets and Motherboards. For this particular configuration, ASUS F1A75-I Deluxe and Cooler Master 120 is lot better

Problem is a lot of people expect a lot of different experiences from their devices.

Setup cost and availability of the components you earmarked is a prime factor, can you give me online links from where both these products can be bought @reasonable rates + shipping all over India. Maybe I will integrate the same if the pricing is decent and doesn't curtail any other peripherals from the build. Cheerio!

Damn !!
It is priced at Rs. 2867 at Flipkart...your buying guide lists it in the region of 2300-2400.
That's way too much a premium !!

flipkart pricing is slowly going to the dogs. Almost every item is available for cheaper rates on competing sites.

Thanks Arya. Will integrate it into the build =]. I would not call it good pricing but definitely better than paying ~23000/- for the same card from ZOTAC!

Agree Zotac is Seriously Asking too Much :p But I find MSI Offering Quite Legit ,They priced it Quite Good......If we do the Math :p

US price 310$ -----Converting to INR----> 17205 vs Indian Price 20900 Thtz a 3695 More :p

Other cards have some High Difference

7950's hovering around 310-330$ Thtz 18K but Selling for 24-28K :p Nearly 6-10K more :p

670 Stock Card is 360$ Thtz 20K but selling for 27-28K Nearly 7-8K More :p

Rest U know the Drill :p I wont say anything about 7970 XD What u say isnt it Good Pricing?

Alpha,
Just a quick question.

Will the HD 7750 bottleneck the Intel G-630?
I am guessing not but want to be sure :)

Thank you

No, with the Intel Pentium G630 you can use graphics card upto the GTX560Ti without any major performance penalties, if you want to play mutli-player games though I urge you to get an Intel Core i3 processor minimum.

Hope this answers your query, Cheerio!

Nice list :)

However why not include some SOB (System on Board) like Raspberry PI / other Similar alternative or paperback PC from Zotac/Sapphire for reference ?

Nice list :)

However why not include some SOB (System on Board) like Raspberry PI / other Similar alternative or paperback PC from Zotac/Sapphire for reference ?

ZOTAC! ZBOX and MAGBOX are too expensive to justify them on the list, it is a niche product in my opinion that is why I omitted the same.

For Raspberry Pi, let me think; this weekend I will tweak the existing configurations and update a few prices so will list the Raspberry Pi as well.

Only issue I find with the Pi is that people have an unreal fear of the Linux UI / environment, I use Linux just for my back up purpose so I am comfortable navigating in it, panga hai that other people think Linux = non-GUI interface (command line screen) and this makes them really fearful whether they will be able to use the thing OR not.

Me needs some Myth-busters here.

<snipped>

For all Barracuda series drives the warranty period has been increased to 2 years (not just 2TB) --> Seagate increases the warranty period of your hard drives | Tech News Pedia.

Hope this answers your question mate, Cheerio!

The best part is unlie Western Digital clearly stating warranty terms for each hard-drive sub-family Seagate leaves a cryptic note on its site saying that its products have warranty periods ranging from 1 -->5 year(s). Seagate Technology Limited Consumer Warranty | Seagate

Can you share some info. about the WD hdd family as well ?

Can you share some info. about the WD hdd family as well ?

What do you want to know?

Warranty period? When this entire hard-drive fiasco started, Western Digital suffered more than Seagate it initially announced the first round of cut-backs on warranty.

Now the current warranties, stand so --
Western Digital Green / Blue Edition ~2 years
Western Digital Black Edition ~5 years
Wester Digital Raptors ~5 years

If you would like all the details, head here --> WD Support / Warranty Services / End User / Worldwide Warranty Policy and Limitations

What do you want to know?

Warranty period? When this entire hard-drive fiasco started, Western Digital suffered more than Seagate it initially announced the first round of cut-backs on warranty.

Now the current warranties, stand so --
Western Digital Green / Blue Edition ~2 years
Western Digital Black Edition ~5 years
Wester Digital Raptors ~5 years

If you would like all the details, head here --> WD Support / Warranty Services / End User / Worldwide Warranty Policy and Limitations

That's what I was looking for. I am planning to buy a 1 TB (SATA 2 at my end :( ) in the next month or so hence asking. Thanx for sharing.

Back