PC Peripherals temperatures after AS5

Hey guys i used the AS5 for the first time and i have some remarkable drops in temperature , I applied AS5 to my procci and gcard exactly 4 days back . I am using Asus A8V Deluxe, 3200+ winnie with Starice , Gigabyte 6600 GT AGP . The stock idle temps previously were ( these are after 1/2 of booting up and running the usual tasks like web surfing )

CPU : 37-38 deg
Gcard : 59-61 deg

and now its :

If i presume am right , it takes about a month with about 100 cycles to get more temp drops .... so shud i be expecting more temp drops ?

P.S : prior to AS5 , my procci had the local 20 bucks thermal paste and the GPU had the default factory supplied wax patch .

Yeah it will probably take some more time before you see the changes. Only make sure you've applied it correctly, else that can screw up things quite a bit.

Also, did you clean off the earlier paste properly ?

anishcool said:
Yeah it will probably take some more time before you see the changes. Only make sure you've applied it correctly, else that can screw up things quite a bit.

Also, did you clean off the earlier paste properly ?
ohh yea i meticulously followed the procedure mentioned by deejay ,eazy and the artic website . Fortunately i was able to get A-R grade acetone (purest ) and iso-propyl alcohol. The fuggin acetone was so amazin that a small dip in the container with the cloth and with a single wipe on the heatsink it dissolved the extremely sticky wax patch . Anyway i first cleant the surface by acetone then use iso-propyl alcohol , i ddint do the final clean up act with distilled water , i had no patience :p , then i applied the heatsink with a lil goo , rubbed it clock-wise and anti clockwise using a plastic bag with my finger in it( i first dipped my finger with the plastic on it in the acetone bottle to make sure the plastic was free from any dirt ) . Then wiped it off with a lint free cloth ( i used a good quality handkerchief , damn i spoilt 2 of them that day !! ). then i applied just about the right quantity on the procci core at the center , didnt spread it as mentioned ,put on the heatsink twisted it jus a lil clock-wise and anti-clockwise to remove the air gaps , and i was ready to go . :D .

Ragin_ice , Really!! 32C cpu temps in mumbai (high temps + high humidity) conditions is excellent.

try it on heavy loads too (prime95 for about 30 minutes)

also if possible note the time taken for the cpu temps to drop from the peak value to ur idle temps (or thereabouts) after you stop prime95.

@Ragin_Ice

GOOD JOB !! I think you have done it perfectly. I dont use any distilled water after the Alcohol. Most of the distilled water we get locally is just plain TAP water !!! I used to buy Distilled water for my work some time back and it was pretty bad quality - could not find any good quality distilled water at that time.

I dont think I you should put Acetone near plastics as it eats thru them - this is what I understood from someone who knows these things. I am reffering to your statement...

i first dipped my finger with the plastic on it in the acetone bottle to make sure the plastic was free from any dirt

Your temps are very good. I have 30C just now with my Intel 2.4C. When I first applied AS5 it was 4C above room temps - it fell by about 3C after the burn in period. My room temp is 29C and my CPU is 30C - dont think I could get any lower.

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks eazy and deejay , i was totally inspired by both u guys ....
eazy said:
I dont think I you should put Acetone near plastics as it eats thru them - this is what I understood from someone who knows these things. I am reffering to your statement...

hmmm yea it wud disolve it and add to the AS5 , makes sense .
then how do i make sure that the plastic is totally clean ? ..... i know i might be sounding like a fanatic , but i want to be totally academically correct :p .

yea, thats good :)

I keep on hearing that guys on the forum use their fingers to spread the AS5 o_O

DONT DO THISS!!!! your finger has oil!!! just to experiment, i used my finger to spread on my gpu and temps went up 3c!

For cpu's with heatspreaders(A64, P4) you need a TINY spot in the middle.....do not spread it around.

For GPU's and older procs without heatspreaders you need to apply a thin layer and spread with something like a hard plastic card.

Wipe off the old pasts VERY well with IPA (99% pure alchohol)
more info on the right way to do this @ www.arcticsilver.com

Ragin_Ice said:
hmmm yea it wud disolve it and add to the AS5 , makes sense .
then how do i make sure that the plastic is totally clean ? ..... i know i might be sounding like a fanatic , but i want to be totally academically correct :p .

I use an old vest for these jobs. They are very soft and lint free after having been used.

I got small 2" x 3" zip lock bags at Abdul Rehman Street - Mumbai which I use for transferring AS5 to the Heat Sink's base. I bought a rubber bulb blower for Rs 25/- from Lamington road which I use to blow away dust particles from the contact points of the Heat Sink and CPU.

To clean the the plastic bag I rub it with the vest and blow away any left over dust or fibres with the rubber blower.

And about being a CLEANLINESS FANATIC .... you have to see me do this job... I will make even you feel like an Amateur :D

Eazy said:
I use an old vest for these jobs. They are very soft and lint free after having been used.

I got small 2" x 3" zip lock bags at Abdul Rehman Street - Mumbai which I use for transferring AS5 to the Heat Sink's base. I bought a rubber bulb blower for Rs 25/- from Lamington road which I use to blow away dust particles from the contact points of the Heat Sink and CPU.

To clean the the plastic bag I rub it with the vest and blow away any left over dust or fibres with the rubber blower.

And about being a CLEANLINESS FANATIC .... you have to see me do this job... I will make even you feel like an Amateur :D

whoops .... ur the one .. :hap2:

Back