Ten Things that Nokia Did Right in making the 5800 XpressMusic

obama

Disciple
This is a simple cut and paste of an article i found on this site here

I am sure it would help potential future mobile phone buyers and fence sitters here.

I take no credit for this and credit goes to the original author of the article as mentioned below.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Published by Steve Litchfield at 8:58 UTC, March 8th 2009
Having spent an entire feature slamming Touch in general and perhaps the Nokia 5800 XpressMusic in particular, I think it's only fair to give Nokia some credit and balance the equation with a breakdown of Ten Things that Nokia Did Right in the 5800, things which they didn't have to do but which impressed me nevertheless. Are these ten plus points below enough to make the 5800 XpressMusic a must-buy? Maybe, maybe not, but their very existence speaks well of Nokia, of the 5800 and of sister devices to follow. Let's get started.
1. Elegant full-screen use

Harking back yet again to Steve Jobs' claim at the iPhone's launch that existing designs used 'too much plastic', referring to the waste of frontal area by using a d-pad or qwerty thumb keyboard, it's clear that, real world misgivings aside, there is a lot to be said for a screen that occupies the maximum possible area, with control elements displayed as needed, according to whether you're entering text, playing a game, browsing the web or watching a video, etc. The Nokia 5800 is firmly in this camp and pulls off the trick remarkably well, considering that its firmware isn't very mature yet - it can only improve further in this regard.

2. Decent battery

With many recent Nokia smartphone designs blighted by an underspecified battery (cough, N82, N95, N96, E75), it's great to have 1320 mAh under the hood. Admittedly with the display set on maximum brightness and with a lot of video podcast/iPlayer watching [maybe that's just me!], the battery still isn't going to last for days, but for average phone/music/text use the 5800 should comfortably last the distance.

3. Carl Zeiss lens

Again, a welcome design choice here. For such a 'budget' smartphone (it's not even in the Nseries range), to have decent optics makes a significant difference. Reviews which slam the 5800 XpressMusic as having a 'weak' camera haven't taken the time to understand why shots sometimes go wrong. The problem is that the aperture and sensor sizes are small (probably dictated by the build cost and by the amount of depth allowed in the casing), so photos and videos taken indoors and in the evening are very disappointing, with huge amounts of digital noise. BUT. Take photos and videos outdoors and especially in sunlight, and the 5800's camera with those Carl Zeiss optics can produce results that rival those from the all conquering N95. See here for proof.

4. Media key

This feature took a while to grow on me. It's no secret that I wasn't fond of the 'multimedia' key on the N95, N82 and just about every Nseries phone since - the carousel menu took just too many keypresses to do anything useful and it was always easier to use the standard S60 menu (I see Nokia has started to drop this key from newer models like the N86 8MP, so maybe they've finally heeded my words). The 5800 XpressMusic doesn't have any hardware music controls, so something's obviously needed though - the touch 'media' key fills the function neatly by helping you get quickly to Music player in two taps from anywhere in the 5800's interface. A long press on the 'key' to go straight to Music Player would have been even nicer - maybe in the next firmware, Nokia?

5. Keyguard

Most PDAs since the dawn of time have had an on/off button (though of course off isn't actually 'off'), the idea obviously being that you don't want the screen and keys getting pressed in your pocket. Phones have an equivalent that normally involves a two keypress system (e.g. left function and then *), but the modern trend in Nokia's most recent devices of having a keyguard 'toggle' is much, much easier to use and much easier to remember. Another good design choice on the 5800, Nokia.
6. Haptic feedback

With phones usually sporting a vibrator for alerting you when in 'silent' mode, it was natural that this system would be used when touch finally hit phones and Nokia has implemented a generic 'wobble the phone when a screen tap is registered' system. It's not unique to the 5800 XpressMusic but it's good to see here - on the AAS team, Rafe and I are big fans of it [Ewan's not so sure and has turned it off!] When typing on the full-screen qwerty keyboard, having mechanical ('haptic') feedback is an essential step in making sure that 'key' presses are all registered properly. Yes, the 5800 could still do with a truck load of iPhone-style spelling and writing aids, but we'll again have to leave this one for future firmware...

7. Mature OS and subsystems

Now, don't confuse this with me saying that "the 5800's firmware is immature" - it is, very much so, and there are many firmware tweaks and bug-fixes needed before the 5800 can be pronounced to be 'finished'. However, the fact that it runs S60 5th Edition means that it's building on every previous version, every previous Feature Pack, every previous codec and library addition. This isn't immediately apparent until you start comparing a S60 5th Edition phone with something like the Apple iPhone or Palm Pre or the Android-powered G1. In each case, these much newer 'built recently' platforms appear to be 'all there' (they certainly have lots of eye candy) but when you need something detailed, such as adding a phone number from your call log to a specific field in an existing contact or sending a Note to someone else's phone using Bluetooth (to pick just two everyday examples that can't be done on some newer competitors) you'll find that S60 5th Edition is now very complete indeed. Add in the most up to date audio and video codecs so that almost any file type can be handled and the real time maturity of Symbian OS in handling multiple data connections, applications and interruptions seamlessly, and you end up with a phone with a rock solid base - even if the top soil is still in motion a little(!)

PS. As a postscript to this point, the 5800 has been widely criticised as Nokia simply slapping a touch layer on the existing 'outdated' S60 interface. This is, to some extent what Nokia has done (plus a lot more under the hood), but my argument (and theirs) would be that it's better to leverage and improve a phone interface that's already in use by well over 200 million users across the world than to throw it all out and start again. In this way, the 5800 XpressMusic feels instantly familiar when in use - it's no direct iPhone or Palm Pre competitor in the UI stakes, but there's more to a great PDA or phone than a pretty interface.
8. Wi-Fi, TV-out and GPS

At this price level you really wouldn't expect Wi-Fi and TV out and GPS, even in 2009 - that's a lot of power user functions to shoehorn in. All very welcome indeed though - I know I for one couldn't live without Wi-Fi (video podcast downloading, mainly!) and I'd be extremely loathe to return to the days of the separate Bluetooth GPS. TV out isn't used that often, but is handy to keep for tech demos and immediate display of your snaps. With the likes of Nokia's E63 omitting a GPS, ostensibly for cost reasons, it's good to see that the 5800 XpressMusic's product manager had his head screwed on straight when working out the spec level that Nokia could afford in their 'Tube'.
9. Inclusion of an 8GB microSD in the box

With the already generous box bundle (stand, TV out cable, case, etc.) it was another pleasant surprise to see a fullish complement of 8GB of expansion disk space available from the very beginning. Even with my power user needs, I've still not filled my 8GB card yet, so many 5800 owners won't even need to go shopping - ever. Again, kudos to Nokia for going the extra mile.
10. Loud loudspeakers

I've already mentioned this in the main review, but the 5800 boasts some very impressive stereo speakers. When listening to podcasts, the 5800's sound output easily fills the kitchen or wherever I'm toiling, helping to make the chores enjoyable.

Used my friends 5800XM yesterday. The interface was nice and responsive.

I think it has a strong chance of being my next phone.

The Alchemist said:
Problems aside, its just fugly.

Personally I didn't think it looks THAT ugly, albeit it's not that good looking either. My biggest complain with it was responsiveness of screen and the overall "tacky" and "cheap" feel of the device.

Besides those two things, I think Nokia did rather decent job on interface design. But still it couldn't convince me to spend 20k on this (I went to store and almost bought it, untill I held it in my hand :p)

iGo said:
Personally I didn't think it looks THAT ugly, albeit it's not that good looking either. My biggest complain with it was responsiveness of screen and the overall "tacky" and "cheap" feel of the device.

Besides those two things, I think Nokia did rather decent job on interface design. But still it couldn't convince me to spend 20k on this (I went to store and almost bought it, untill I held it in my hand :p)
bro. just what do you mean by
1)"responsiveness of screen".
2)overall "tacky" and "cheap" feel.
I want to know what your knowledge level is or rather how ignorant you are, but just posting merely to get attention or increasing your post count(to what purpose?).

^^ those are his personal views on the device.. not everyone has to like it. personally, i havent seen the 5800 (only in pics) but ive seen some of the other nokia phones out there and many of them feel quite cheap and tacky.

obama u know what those who have neg feedback have never used the phone and are copying comments from some cheapo editor who needs to shoot himself in the head.

The phone is one of the most awesome fones bulit. i have been using 100s of nokias but this phone is truly majestic.

It's understandable not to like the phone entirely the first time you see it.

I saw the phone a number of times with friends and at various shops. & frankly the first impressions were not too good. (I guess it's natural to compare the UI to the Iphone)

However, this was the only phone in the <20k range that had all that i wanted (WiFi, GPS, large screen, PMP device replacement capability etc.). So, i anyways went ahead and got it.

After about 10 days of use, it's absolutely incredible! It took time to get use to the touchscreen & to customize it to my needs. but now i sometimes wonder how Nokia could price this so low :)
The GPS positioning is dead accurate (not the navigation thou). The music quality is good, videos are crisp & clear, web browsing works, have apps like quickoffice, fring, sms timer etc. that take the PDA experience to the next level!

Switch ON the themes effect. by default it is off.
The windows open / close quite nicely.(iphone like effects)
but it slows down the opening / closing of windows a bit though.
to use it or not, its ur choice.

obama said:
bro. just what do you mean by
1)"responsiveness of screen".
2)overall "tacky" and "cheap" feel.
I want to know what your knowledge level is or rather how ignorant you are, but just posting merely to get attention or increasing your post count(to what purpose?).

Why not respect the fact that every individual has an opinion?

I can vouch for point 1 (assuming its similar to what he meant).

When I tried the phone at a Nokia showroom, key-presses occasionally did not register - you needed to be firm and precise. I also needed repeated presses just to get something to open as well, though I believe this was largely due to the firmware being sluggish. To be fair, this was when the phone had just hit the market, and I believe there have been several firmware updates since then which should have probably improved this.

On the whole there's still no denying that they've packed a lot into the phone, however IMHO the touchscreen was a bit disappointing :)

obama said:

It all depends on how you measure one's knowledge level... like you yourself wrote in your first post that the points that you're postings are "copy-paste" from another article.

If you care to read what I've written in my post, then probably you will understand... instead of attacking me personally. Let me bolden it for you.

iGo said:

Besides those two things, I think Nokia did rather decent job on interface design. But still it couldn't convince me to spend 20k on this (I went to store and almost bought it, untill I held it in my hand)

As you can see, I'm not completely trashing this phone... I'm giving credits where it's due... but the main thing I want you to read is my last line. I WENT TO SHOWROOM to BUY THIS PHONE. I TRIED IT PERSONALLY, I had high hopes and pockets full for this purchase, but I DIDN'T LIKE it when I ACTUALLY TRIED THE PRODUCT.

Now why does my personal experience warrant you attacking me personally about knowledge level or intellectual integrity? what gives you this authority?

paddydevil said:
obama u know what those who have neg feedback have never used the phone and are copying comments from some cheapo editor who needs to shoot himself in the head.
The phone is one of the most awesome fones bulit. i have been using 100s of nokias but this phone is truly majestic.

err no... i OWN one and i agree with the comments about the phone looking ugly and feeling tacky/cheap. the build quality is not exactly top notch. i don't know how people can disagree with this. the choice of colours alone make it look like a phone for 15 year olds. if only they had the grey/black one in india which gives the phone a more serious look.

the theme effects look terrible... like some powerpoint effects from the year 95. they're not smooth like the effects on the iPhone.

about touchscreen response... the problem with trying out the phone at a showroom is the presence of old firmware. touch input was quite bad pre v20.xx i.e very easy to hit multiple letters in the qwerty keyboard. scrolling also wasn't very good.

update to the latest firmware and it's much, MUCH better.

Ashr said:
about touchscreen response... the problem with trying out the phone at a showroom is the presence of old firmware. touch input was quite bad pre v20.xx i.e very easy to hit multiple letters in the qwerty keyboard. scrolling also wasn't very good.

update to the latest firmware and it's much, MUCH better.

I think you are right. It was unfortunate that I must have tried the phone with early/old firmware. But like I said, even before I started playing with the touchscreen, the build quality had already put my mood half-off. Adding touchscreen woes (even though it was old firmware) to my build quality disappointment, one can see why I didn't buy it.

Those who were quick to pounce on me earlier, know this as well.... I never liked Nokia cellphones except 8250, I was always more of SE guy. I even owned Motorola ROKR Z6 for almost an year. For someone like me even stepping in Nokia showroom to buy Nokia phone says a lot, about how much I was hoping this phone to be "absolutely" good as I was reading it to be all around.

Back