TerraQiku Launches Q Terra Smartphone In India: Specs, Pricing And Availability

iPwnz

Brutally Honest
Skilled
qiku-q-terra-india-launch.jpg

Chinese smartphone maker Qiku has launched the Q Terra mobile phone priced at Rs. 21,999, or about $329, in India.

Qiku, a joint venture between telecommunications equipment manufacturer Coolpad Group and global Internet company Qihoo 360 Technology, announced that the Q Terra will be like the smartphones offered by Xiaomi and OnePlus — packed with quality features but don't cost an arm and a leg.

"We truly believe that Indian consumers are becoming evolved users of smartphones and need a premium experience. With QiKU Terra, we are essentially offering the best in class experience at an affordable price," says Varun Sharma, the CEO of Qiku India.

The Q Terra includes a 6-inch full HD IPS display. A 1.82GHz hexa-core Qualcomm Snapdragon 808 processor and 3GB of RAM powers the new Q Terra. The Qiku device has 16GB of on-board storage. The presence of a micrsoSD card slot will allow customers to increase the storage capacity to up to 128GB. The handset also includes two 13MP rear-facing cameras and an 8MP selfie camera.

"QiKU Terra has two 13MP cameras on the back. An IMX278 color sensor camera with RGBW technology, 40 percent ambient brightness and a low light noise reduction of 78 percent. The second one is a black and white IMX214 with 13MP as well," per Qiku.

The IMX214 is touted as an all-light sensor that is four times more powerful in capturing light than a color sensor. It also has a higher pixel detail for crisp photos. Used together, the sensors guarantee high-quality images, even in low light.

The Qiku Q Terra has a 3,600mAh battery, which the company claims can be fully charged in 70 minutes. The handset has a fingerprint scanner at the back with which customers can unlock the phablet in half a second.

The new Qiku phone will support Wi-Fi, Bluetooth and GPS connectivity.

The mobile phone runs on 360 OS, which is a customized version of Android 5.1 Lollipop. Normally, all smartphones are preinstalled with some apps, which some users may not find useful. With the Q Terra, owners will have the option to delete any preinstalled apps on the phone.

The Q Terra will be available for Rs. 21,999 but the invite-only model will cost Rs. 19,999. Qiku has not revealed the release date of the handset.

QiKU Q Terra specs at a glance:
SIM: Dual-SIM capable handset (Micro-SIM and Nano-SIM)
Display: 6-inch full-HD (1080x1920) IPS 386ppi
Chipset and processor: Qualcomm Snapdragon MSM8992 808 SoC 2GHz
GPU: Adreno 418
RAM: 3GB
OS: Qihoo 360 OS (based on Android 5.1 Lollipop). Has additional security features.
Storage: 16GB internal, up to 128GB.
Camera: Dual 13 MP rear cameras with dual-tone LED flash, 8 MP front camera f/2.4 aperture, capable of shooting videos in full-HD
Camera features: Fast Focus, geo-tagging, support for 4K video recording.
Battery: 3700mAh battery with support for faster charging.
Other features: 4G LTE, Bluetooth 4.1, Wi-Fi, and other standard connectivity features.

QiKU claims that the phone will get the Android 6.0 Marshmallow update in March next year.

qiku_q_terra_01.jpg

QiKU India CEO Varun Sharma explains why they have two prices for QiKU Q Terra phone -
Q. QiKU Q Terra comes for two prices- Rs 19,999 for invites and Rs 21,999 for without invites. So, don’t you think you are forcing this invite system onto consumers?
Varun Sharma: No really. The price of Q Terra is Rs 21,999. Period. Our objective right now is to create our community. For becoming a part of that community, we will be opening a lot of contest and drills to enable users to prove that they are worthy of our community. And as a reward, they will get an invite which will give them special privileges. To start with they will get a discount of Rs 2,000 on the new Q Terra smartphone.

Q. You are a new brand and you have partnered exclusively with another new e-commerce brand, Gadgets 360. You could have opted for more experienced Flipkart or Snapdeal for your first smartphone. Your thoughts?
Varun Sharma:With Gadget 360, we found a partner who has access to tech enthusiasts in India. They will help us to create our community.

Q. But e-commerce is different ball game altogether and Gadgets 360 has a long way to go.
Varun Sharma: I am an ex-Flipkart employee and I hope to understand the challenges of the e-commerce industry well. I think gone are times in e-commerce industry when logistics and customer service used to be an entry barrier. The ecosystem has evolved. Everybody is using third-party logistics. Five years back, these third-party logistic players were not much prominent. But now, the technology and logistic platforms are common to all players. So, that is what Gadgets 360 is also doing and we are confident in this partnership.
See more at: http://indianexpress.com/article/te...as-an-exclusive-partner/#sthash.CFY6sQ8U.dpuf

For becoming a part of that community, we will be opening a lot of contest and drills to enable users to prove that they are worthy of our community. And as a reward, they will get an invite which will give them special privileges.

Overconfidence much? Too full of themselves?

Overconfidence much? Too full of themselves?
lol. I think they are trying to create a bandwagon here. Either that or they want that sweet extra 2 grand.
For me though, the choice of Gadgets 360 as a platform for selling bothers me. My guess is they want to market their products using NDTV's media presence. I cannot come up with any other reason. Definitely not a good decision there imo.
Btw there is also another phone, Obi worldphone something something.

Back