Terrible System Problem

Hi Guys

Firstly after a lot of head banging stuff i manged to get online.

Dont know what exactly happened ,
Antivirus , Antispyware Spyware , Firewall all got fused off.

Norton is not able to load virus Database so its no AV for me now.
Tried kaspersky and my system comes down by a large extent.

Currently no Antivirus i am only on my Sygate Firewall.

Any idea whats gone wrong.

I have Win98SE OS

Hey,

Did you download or install anything recently ? Could this be a virus ?

It could be some weird virus which is starting up when you boot. Thats characteristic of the Antivirus not being able to load up properly. You able to check the startup list ? if not, go into safe mode and check the start up list and the running processes. Run your AV and Antispyware from Safe mode.

I had a similar experience a couple of months ago, where the virus wouldn't allow AVG to run, and wouldn't allow me to visit the antivirus sites to download patches and updates. At the same time, it would crash the firewall. Had to go into safe mode, identify the rogue startup items, and then handle them individually by either removing them, or killing them and moving them to quarantine and then deleting them.

Regards

Inzider

disable all the startup items tht seems strange to u from msconfig....

Norton is the first thing 2 crash when a virus comes in...:p
AO i will recommend u trying out sm other antivirus..

I think its a trojan similar to bionet or maybe bionet.

BioNet exploits a flaw in Windows involving a function called "TerminateProcess()" which unconditionally destroys a running program without any notification to the program that the "rug is being pulled from under it." Without any notification from Windows, a program cannot protect itself from being stopped. Once a process has been stopped, the underlying files can then be written to and corrupted by malicious software. BioNet and a number of other trojan horses are now starting to exploit this routinely, nullifying antivirus and other security programs such as firewalls or file scanners.

Take your hdd to ur friends pc and scan it from his comp.

Till then you can check all the startup progs, remove everything which looks suspicious, chk the registry, startup folder autoexc.bat system.ini, etc

How 'bout trying Microsoft's Malicious Software Removal Tool :)

http://www.microsoft.com/security/malwareremove/default.mspx

OR

McAfee's STINGER :)

http://vil.nai.com/vil/stinger/

McAfee AVERT Stinger

Stinger is a stand-alone utility used to detect and remove specific viruses. It is not a substitute for full anti-virus protection, but rather a tool to assist administrators and users when dealing with an infected system. Stinger utilizes next generation scan engine technology, including process scanning, digitally signed DAT files, and scan performance optimizations

Yup Use Stinger......I Contacted Norton about the similar problem I had once and they told me that theere is a Win32 Type of Virus and it creates its Own Log Files Disabling All The Things.......I asked them if any remedy is there.....they say not yet.....but usually happens if ya download or go to a crack site......they are still trying to find the source of the Virus/Worm......beleived to be in the Crack Site Hostings.....

http://vil.nai.com/vil/stinger/ .... Download it......but keep it in seperate Drive ....not in ur Boot Up Drive......It is known to have some Problems.

Thanks to all for all ur wonderful replies & time.

Just restored my registry to previous days.
Msconfig shows no threatning entries.

But my PC is working wothout AV.

And i dont visit any sort of illegal sites nor use any sort of P2P Apps from where Viruses can enter.

Also amoungst the sites i vist are all tech sites , so dont know what exactly went wrong.

Let me describe u the scenario.
- My PC was offline , i dont have IP address settings for my Cablenet Connection
- I was copying a Linux 700Mb ISO file from drive C to my last drive F.
- When suddenly after 60-70% of the transfer completeled BSOD appeared.
- I immediately clicked escape key and then Windows appeared.
- After i rebooted my PC some files related to Norton & Sygate Per. Firewall were
not found , on checking Spybot & AdAware also they were also not working.

So this is what happened.

Later i removed Norton,Sygate,Adaware,Spybot

Installed Syagate & Kaspersky AV
But kaspersky brought my PC to its heals
So removed it currently i am having Sygate Firewall as my only protection.

And my PC is booting fine , but everytime i start my PC it scans disk in DOS mode
and says fixing long file names.

Then the PC boots UP fine & then i connect to the ISP & here i am now replying on TE.

But still i will format my C Drive after backing up all ,y data from my friends place after
doing a complete scan.

Also wanted to tell you that
I have a P3 - 450Mhz CPU , ASUS P2BVT [intel 440BX] Chipset , 256Mb SD Ram
And the problem is the new HDD it keeps corrupting the C Drive after one or 2 Months
So far i have had no clue why this happens.
I am using my HDD in 32GB Clip mode.
When ever the data in my last partition exceeds 85-90% of its storage space
C Drive becomes corrupt.

Guys do let me know whats wrong exactly.

After finding i have found that not only my security softwares but some other
programs are also not fuctioning.

Mine crashes too ater every 3 months....Win Xp.....never thought that it wud be becoz of something serious on the comp........I Use P2p So because of that....amybe.?

@Quad Master

Do you have a Backup/Imaging software ? I use Acronis True Image and it is fantastic - I make daily images of my XP partitions - approx 4 GB data in a 2.2GB image file - takes under 2 minutes. I have done restores often when a rogue software or drivers have caused problems.

In years I have never lost a Windows setup without being able to restore a backup Image. I keep a couple of older images files in case I have a problem and I make an image with the problem getting backed up.

The BEST part of True Image is that you can make a bootable CD with this program and it starts from DOS so a virus would not be loaded before a Restore can be performed. This program allows backups to external HDD's and Optical writers.

P.S. I dont work for Acronis nor am I connected with them in any way :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Back