Tether for Blackberry.

vb86

Adept
Hi,

Since the past few days, I've been using a Blackberry Bold 9780. I'm on a BIS data plan with Vodafone where I pay Rs. 599 for unlimited access. The catch here is that for tethering, I need to use Vodafone Mobile Connect (VMC) and for media streaming apps like Youtube, I need to use Vodafone Live. Now, Vodafone does have integrated VMC+VL packs - Rs. 198 for 3gb onwards..!

A few days ago, Vodafone had a 3G soft-launch where I was able to convert my 2G speeds to 3G. So, in effect, my BIS Rs 599 plan now runs in 3G in some areas including my home! I had deactived my VMC+VL plan after I bough my BB 9780 a few days back. I really wanted to tether this connection to my laptop.

So, I came across this app called "Tether" which from what I understand, uses the BB plan for tethering. So, I downloaded the 7-day trial version a 3 days back and gave it a shot. I got an error "no available port".

After googling for a bit, I understood that I needed to change the TCP/IP settings. There were 2 settings specified for Vodafone Essar:

1. APN name: www (no username and password) - Same error.
2. APN name: portalnmms (no username and password) - Connects but no internet access. Windows 7 shows an exclamation mark on the connection logo!

Has anyone been able to make this work? I really want to use my BB plan for tethering and have only a couple of days left before the trial expires.

Some help would be highly appreciated!

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

A quick update:

Vodafone activated my VMC+VL pay per use plan without me asking for it yesterday (I received a confirmation text). It seems that when I asked to upgrade to 3G, they enabled this plan alongside my regular BB service plan. So, I tried connecting using Tether, and, the results were:

Without filling APN: Could not find port.

APN as www: Internet worked!

APN as portalnmms: Connected without internet access.

So, it seems that Tether is working with a seperate generic carrier plan and not the BB unlimited service plan that I'm already paying for! Any work around to get this sorted?

vb86. I am just waiting for this tethering to work on BSNL 3G. but those buggers havent activated my BIS. I will update it. AFAIK. You need to install Tetherberry on Desktop as well as BB device. And You also need to change Proxy setting in you browser.

Will update you with my BSNL 3G. catch is Will BSNL charge me if i use APN(bsnlnet) in DM. lets see how it goes.

Thanks for the prompt response!

Actually, I'm using this app called Tether. It comes in 2 parts, one for the phone and the other for the PC. To establish a connection, you need to run both simultaneously. Now, I am able to use the internet via Tether using the generic carrier plan ie. Vodafone Mobile Connect, but, I want to use it through my BB plan instead since I have an unlimited BB plan already. Now, by default, Vodafone does not allow Tethering on BB plans and they want us to use the generic plans as do most carriers. However, from what I understand, apps like Tether are meant to work in these situations, where the BB plan can be used to fool the carrier into thinking that the data is actually being used on the phone and not being tethered to another device!

www is the right option to use, will allow you to tether AFAIK, but i have moved from blackberry to microsoft's cherry already, so can't go back and confirm 100%

Yes, www works with VMC activated. But, that defeats the purpose of using Tether. Why pay $50 for an app when the Blackberry Desktop Manager can do it for free. It makes sense to buy Tether if it can run my unlimited BB plan on my PC! Since it worked with VMC activated, I'm sure it was using VMC data.

^ Which it was unable to do. Anyhow, I've asked Vodafone to disable VMC on my account and then I'll give it another shot using BIS!

Yes. thats true without using APN i am not able to connect.

MY BB service got activated today. Tried without using APN in tether. couldnt make connection. If i put APN(bsnlnet) in phone. My Main blalnce deducted.

So far i havent find any workaround. but there has to be.

Back