The 2013 Black Friday thread

Well, I do see the sense in comparing them to a laptop, the Surface Pro ones. Coz its that capable. People have no clue what they are missing out. Coming to the end and saying ipad is better. Well, Dunno what to say. As you pointed out, those features that Surface gives, the ease that will provide. No other tablet can do. Android may try, but will never catch up. But iOS will trump most of those with better Apps coz its THE card it holds, you cant blame it either. Cute chicks are always popular. IMO people are not giving windows a chance.

My personal preference is and will always be iOS > MS > Android. Will say it again, Android as a tablet is a disaster for me. It has nothing to offer me. The UIxp and app quality, both blows. For me.

Wonder what Elop will do to Surface... :(..

@Sei Well said.Dont get me wrong.What i meant was that RT 1st generation was let down by hardware.Tegra 3.Thats what was reason for late app launches.
IMHO windows is the best OS for a tablet.(Even though i am a hardcore android fan).Its productivity is unmatched.If i had no monetary limits,i would go for surface pro 2 or ativ Q.....But that being said,being a regular college guy (who is always short of money.:p) ,i cant go for something that MAY/MAY NOT give me problems.

@sarthakk250193 @m-jeri

I totally agree that the Surface is not for everyone. At the same time, the iPad is not for everyone as well. Both are fantastic devices in my opinion. However, what I do want to point out is how biased the reviewers are. They compare the Surface RT to a laptop and the Surface Pro to a tablet. For e.g., have a look at this review. This is from The Verge, a site I like very very much. But they are Apple worshippers, down to the last person working there -

This was the first time I ever seriously replied on youtube and am copy pasting my rant from there directly :p

--------------------------------
Ending all sentences with "this is good, but iPad is still better" doesn't make sense. I can understand that many apps do not exist in the Windows Store but you really underplayed the importance of having a proper web browser. Leaving aside games, the only reason apps were made because browsers could not render stuff the same on phones and tablets. IE 11 is fantastic and is nowhere like the IE of earlier years. Are you seriously implying that a Facebook app is better than the full fledged browser on a 10" device?!

- You didn't expound on the fact that IE 11 that has 100% flash compatibility.
- You didn't expound on the comfort of using a home network natively without any app.
- You didn't expound on the comfort of having a USB port. We can directly connect dozens of controllers, mice, keyboards, printers without any contraptions. Most of the generic USB software is built-in windows
- You didn't expound on the fact that it has an inbuilt file-system.
- You didn't expound on the fact that we can directly share media directly through XBox and other devices to our big screen TV - yes, this includes IE flash videos, music, almost everything.
- You didn't expound on the fact that this is the only tablet offering true multi-tasking. An example - you can run a video on youtube, a video on your local drive and play a game simultaneously.. with all 3 apps running and none of them in suspended mode. Show me how to do this in an iPad or an Android tablet.

I don't even blame you that much. MS has a shitty marketing team. When advertising products they want to show kids dancing crazy with a Surface in their hands rather than highlighting all these fantastic features.
--------------------------------

To each his own and may be my own views will change once I spend some time with the Surface myself (will get my hands on it next week). The iPad is fantastic, hands-down, no contesting that fact. But for hardcore Windows users like me, having the features above makes a world of a difference.
spot on! !! take a look at this pa report
http://www.penny-arcade.com/report/...ith-breakdancing-and-its-going-to-hurt-xbox-o

Bought the 960GB version myself. Cost me around 31500. Had been stopping myself from splurging but since I am selling my Macbook Air, I needed a good SSD for my old laptop.

Here is everything you need to know about DECT

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Enhanced_Cordless_Telecommunications

All the phone features work in India since most of the features are the same across the world. Only two things are needed for such phones imported from US.
  1. 220v to 110v converter (20watts) - Preferably with replaceable fuse & from a good company to be sure of quality
  2. Called ID Converter (DTMF to FSK) - Since US uses FSK mode for displaying caller ID data & these phones support FSK only.. They do not support dual mode..
Also you should know that if getting these phones from another region then you might not need these also. But you have to check beforehand & price would be an issue..

My Long List of Purchases from Black Friday..

1. Intel 530 240GB SSD
2. Toshiba 256GB SSD
3. Samsung 500GB 840 EVO SSD
4. Crucial M500 480GB SSD
5. Canon 50mm f1.4
6. Turtle Beach PX22
7. 2TB WD My Passport Ultra
8. 1TB WD Blue 2.5
9. Non_working PSN code
10. Metro series
11. Couple of 32GB Memory Card

Still think missing something. There were 3 more, but bought for friends. KindleHDX,Roku3,2TBHDD

1. Intel 530 240GB SSD
2. Toshiba 256GB SSD
5. Canon 50mm f1.4
6. Turtle Beach PX22
8. 1TB WD Blue 2.5
9. Non_working PSN code
10. Metro series

Still think missing something. There were 3 more, but bought for friends. KindleHDX,Roku3,2TBHDD
Quite a haul i must say...The non working PSN code must be for a different region...

1. Intel 530 240GB SSD
2. Toshiba 256GB SSD
5. Canon 50mm f1.4
6. Turtle Beach PX22
8. 1TB WD Blue 2.5
9. Non_working PSN code
10. Metro series

that's a lot of ssds are you gonnna sell them?

Well, I do see the sense in comparing them to a laptop, the Surface Pro ones. Coz its that capable. People have no clue what they are missing out. Coming to the end and saying ipad is better. Well, Dunno what to say. As you pointed out, those features that Surface gives, the ease that will provide. No other tablet can do. Android may try, but will never catch up. But iOS will trump most of those with better Apps coz its THE card it holds, you cant blame it either. Cute chicks are always popular. IMO people are not giving windows a chance.

My personal preference is and will always be iOS > MS > Android. Will say it again, Android as a tablet is a disaster for me. It has nothing to offer me. The UIxp and app quality, both blows. For me.

Wonder what Elop will do to Surface... :(..

did u try nexus 7 2013 ?

These Roku and all can be good buys now since we have this AllCast app (android only) which i am sure will only get better later. It can even cast to Apple TV so actually buying apple TV makes sense if someone already owns both iOS and android devices. Airplay from iOS device to Apple TV and AllCast from android device to Apple TV. Win Win situation.
This is until apple pushes some sort of update which will block Allcast casting to Apple TV and this will surely happen from what we all know how apple is.

Last edited:
Can you or someone else elaborate on the experience of owning and using Roku here in India?

The snail pace useless broadband is gonna make streaming a big task. Moreover if not using VPN, may things won't be available. We Indians will never ever enjoy stuff like Netflix and all. Third World Country that we are.

The snail pace useless broadband is gonna make streaming a big task. Moreover if not using VPN, may things won't be available. We Indians will never ever enjoy stuff like Netflix and all. Third World Country that we are.

Well with my 1mbps day and 2mpbs in night bb connection iam able to watch shows in hulu(thanks to mediahint) without any issues.
The streaming is seamless and i can watch an hourlong or half an hour shows without any buffering issues.

My local Lan based net in nerul (wnet, tata isp) gives me 1mbps for 550/month. Speeds go up to 2.4mbps after 12:30 midnight till ~8am. And youtube/google play store/other cached sites come in anywhere between 8-16mbps.

Back