The alpha

Most people upgrade...I upgraded from a H1 to to a Rebel XT only to sell the Rebel and then downgraded from a H1 to an Ixus 860 :ashamed:

First off congrats, waiting for the results from your new toy :)

d_payne said:
The next lens is a 18-250 for daylight walkaround shots...but that's a while down. :)
But wouldn’t a lens like not deliver good results at the widest and telephoto end? I mean wouldn’t it be better to pick up a lens which has a less dynamic range to deal with i.e. 70-200 or 70-250?

Yogesh Sarkar said:
But wouldn’t a lens like not deliver good results at the widest and telephoto end? I mean wouldn’t it be better to pick up a lens which has a less dynamic range to deal with i.e. 70-200 or 70-250?
Yea true, large range zooms do have quality issues and slow apertures (Nikon 18-200 VR NOT included!) but its a trade off between versatility and IQ. Besides, since he's using it for the daytime, shouldn't be much of an issue, the 17-50 will back him up nicely at night.

@ Payne - Get a 50mm prime, ASAP!

Anish said:
Yea true, large range zooms do have quality issues and slow apertures (Nikon 18-200 VR NOT included!) but its a trade off between versatility and IQ. Besides, since he's using it for the daytime, shouldn't be much of an issue, the 17-50 will back him up nicely at night.
But then again it would have higher barrel distortion. Does the Alpha has dust removal system like that in XTI and XSI? If yes then changing lens outdoors shouldn't be a big issue.

Whoa, this thread is still alive. :)

@Chaos: I don't plan to use the 18-70 kit lens at all. The 17-50 cleanly replaces that lens easily, the 20mm lost at the tele-end is not a big deal for the sheer versatility of an usable f2.8 and tack-sharp f4+. :) Will post pics by 2mro night for sure, this lens is bleeding sharp!

@Yogesh, Anish: I know, I know...am killing the very idea of having a "dSLR system". :) But as I keep repeating am not the kind of guy who has the time and patience to take around multiple lens systems. The 18-250 SAL (an optimized Tamron 18-250), is actually rated better than the highly famed 18-200 VR. The distortion at 18mm is present as is softness at 250mm...but seriously, it's hardly a compromise when the sheer versatility of an all-in-one daylight lens is taken into account. :)

Anish, am not too sure of the 50mm prime. :D Though the Sony 50 f1.4 is a really good lens (look at the test shots!), and the Sigma 30 f1.4 is a great "50mm FOV" aping lens...right now, I miss the 150+ telephoto the most.

@bikey: :D Thanks!

Pics to follow tonight!
Payne

nice buy bro.. i initially ordered the same A300K kit through KMD as well, but the online retailer ran out of stock and was on backorder.. in the end, decided to get the sony H50 and shelve my DSLR plans for the time being :)

edit: damn, your post made me go look up the A300K again. and guess what? Amazon has it now for $599 shipped. looks like KMD is getting another PM from me ;)

Back