The Definitive iPhone Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

tracerbullet

Skilled
So my iPhone came in two weeks ago. Since then I've added various programs, including a voice recorder, theme changer etc. on its 1.1.1 firmware.

One thing I've noticed though is that TE has no proper iPhone thread where all we iPhone users can congregate and discuss issues, tips, tweaks and whatnot.

So this is my attempt at bringing us together. Let's see how this thread works out. So all of you who own (or want to own) iPhones, post here now!

edit: To start with, here are three sites I recommend browsing:

Apple iPhone and iPod Touch forums, news, reviews and accessories - Everything iCafe

All things iPod, iPhone, iTunes and beyond | iLounge

ModMyiFone.com - Apple iPhone forum, iPhone hacking, iPhone mods, and more

Thanks for this thread and the links.

I'm still on FW 1.0.2, are there any benefits by going for 1.1.1 ?
Did you tried the TV connectivity with 1.1.1 ?

Also do you people get sms sent not thru a phone, account updates from banks etc ?

^^Yeah but it's too cluttered and addressing only your issue. I've made this thread to address everyone's issues as they come. Also, please post links here of whatever interesting iPhone apps or tweaks you come across.

@MS Mahu: Yes, firmware 1.1.1 has some very significant updates. Some of these include, data-roaming in EDGE (i.e. option to disable it when roaming and using other networks), double-clicking home button takes you to what's 'now playing', itunes WiFi music store (but that doesn't really matter to us), louder speaker and earpiece volume, and finally double tapping the spacebar in messages inserts a period and space - neat! Also if you've installed too many apps, 1.1.1 now side-scrolls instead of scrolling up and down.

I haven't tried TV-out though.

okay can u tell me where u guys got ur iphone from? Im in london and o2 r ripping us off..so if i was to get an iphone from india would it work here and where can i get it from?

bombay prices are rocked up at 26500. dubai is 2600 dirhams its all similar i have noticed. older version is still cheaper if available though

I picked mine up from the US. It cost me 400 plus 8% taxes which is about 432$ or roughly 17,000 bucks. Had a friend bring it down here and then I unlocked it myself.

@Becks: no point picking it up from India. How much is O2 charging for the iPhone? I'd suggest investing the money and buying it from O2 itself. This way you get support if anything goes wrong and you can install all the official updates without any issues. Apple is usually excellent on support. If anything goes wrong, they just lash out an immediate replacement to you. However if you jailbreak your phone, then a lot of your 3rd party apps might stop working after the firmware update.

I say go for the official O2 version.

Edit: Just checked on the Apple UK Store. The iPhone retails for 270 pounds which is about 22,000 Rs. Becks, it's a good price and you receive official support. Pick it up, it's a no-brainer.

yeh thats jus the price for the fone and then they wants u to get a 18 month contract which starts from £35 a month and u only get 200 minutes and 20 text messages now do u see why a rip of.If it was jus for 270 or whtever i would hve bought it staright away but it isnt.So i really dont know what to do.

is there jailbreak or anysim for 1.1.2 yet. i think there is jailbreak for sure. is it the same system for 1.1.2 like it is for 1.1.1.

is there jailbreak or anysim for 1.1.2 yet. i think there is jailbreak for sure. is it the same system for 1.1.2 like it is for 1.1.1.

Naah brother... there is not available.....

Rahulrulez said:
Naah brother... there is not available.....

ahh ok thanks. i mean only jailbreak and not anysim. cuz i think jailbreak is there i cant find the guide though. for sure u cant use simcard i know that. let me more google:)

thats for phones upgraded from an old version to 1.1.2

If you have a OTB (out of the box) 1.1.2, you can't' unlock it ATP...The OTB 1.1.2 has a new bootloader which does not allow the anysim 1.1 exploit to work

superczar said:
thats for phones upgraded from an old version to 1.1.2

If you have a OTB (out of the box) 1.1.2, you can't' unlock it ATP...The OTB 1.1.2 has a new bootloader which does not allow the anysim 1.1 exploit to work

Can we jailbreak 1.1.2 and then downgrade it to 1.1.1 ? i m little worried abt it coz i m getting mine on 17th dec. hope it comes with 1.1.1 . is there any way i can know the firmware without opening up the box ? So i can better guide my coz when she go to apple store .
Thanx

Can we jailbreak 1.1.2 and then downgrade it to 1.1.1 ?

yes, you can activate the phone after that but you can't do a network unlock (ATP)

is there any way i can know the firmware without opening up the box ? So i can better guide my coz when she go to apple store .

Thanx

Yes, ask here to check the 4th and 5th digits on the Serial # (on e side of the box) e.g. 7Y739

the 39 signifies week 39

anything below 42 is 100% old version, anything above 46 is 100% anew frmware

google for iphone + week + version for details

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back