The Fitness Thread !

ok..here is my situation

Height - 5 ft 9"
Weight - around 82-84
Waist - 36.

Never exercised before. Have a sitting job, messy schedule, irregular sleeping times .. irregular eating times. I eat a lot .. and all the wrong stuff (fried as in paranthas .. carbs..junk...milk...biscuits etc). Only heavy stuff i do is weekly cricket on sunday (for 3-4 hours).
Now i need better fitness (for cricket, as in need more stamina) and need to lose weight (high court's orders :p ) as in 4 KGs by the end of this month.

So is it possible to lose 4 KGs in 25 days ?
Will it be healthy to lose this much in such a small period of time ?
If yes, then how ? I can spare 1-2 hours a day (more if needed), but cant join a gym as of now.

Please suggest :)
4-5 kgs in 25 days is bit more.
I have infact lost more than that in 1 month, but it was mostly because of lot of physical work and very low calorie intake.
That made me feel very weak. :(

Reduce your calorie intake, experiment how much your body can handle.
Try this site for "The Couch to 5k Plan". It would help with both the stamina and weight issues. This can be done 3 days a week. Probably you can throw in some body weight exercise for 2-3 days on days you are not running.

http://www.c25k.com/

http://weonlydothisonce.com/824/how-to-go-from-couch-to-5k-in-one-month/

Plan for beginners:
http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

4-5 kgs in 25 days is bit more.
I have infact lost more than that in 1 month, but it was mostly because of lot of physical work and very low calorie intake.
That made me feel very weak. :(

Reduce your calorie intake, experiment how much your body can handle.
Try this site for "The Couch to 5k Plan". It would help with both the stamina and weight issues. This can be done 3 days a week. Probably you can throw in some body weight exercise for 2-3 days on days you are not running.

http://www.c25k.com/

http://weonlydothisonce.com/824/how-to-go-from-couch-to-5k-in-one-month/

Plan for beginners:
http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

Thanks for the info. Its more like 3-4 Kgs this month .. rather than 4-5 Kg. As they say, slow and steady wins the race. And my race is with myself, so no hurries here :p.
The last link looks good. I can surely try that much !

So, finally joined GYM today :)
Planning to go 6 days a week doing alternate day cardio and weights.
Is there any website where I can plan my workouts with each progressive week for optimum results?

Third edition has been out for 2 years if I am not wrong?
I "Got" the 3rd edition and some related videos and the "Practical Programming" book.
Still have to start reading though.

What 'equipment' do you need that a half decent gym would not have?
A squat rack for a start. No gym within 5km radius of my home has a squat rack (I live right in the center of city), all dumb gyms catering to the dumb "fitness" crowd.

Next is a Olympic bar with proper and right amount of progressive weights, many gyms don't have them so or have very few.

A squat rack for a start. No gym within 5km radius of my home has a squat rack (I live right in the center of city), all dumb gyms catering to the dumb "fitness" crowd.

Next is a Olympic bar with proper and right amount of progressive weights, many gyms don't have them so or have very few.

Actually a regular 6+ft barbell will be fine. Just weigh it before hand so you know the total weight that you are lifting.

A squat rack is something you definitely can't do without. And don't try squatting without one. Also, don't use a Smith machine ever. Period...

Disclaimer, I have no idea how gyms outside are :)
I workout in my office gym and it has a Smith machine that I use as a rack + olympic bars + all the weights that I'll ever need for a couple of lifetimes :D

PS - I don't 'use' the Smith machine itself. We don't have a separate squat rack, so just use the pins on the smith machine to set the bar while squatting. Not perfect, but works.

Disclaimer, I have no idea how gyms outside are :)
I workout in my office gym and it has a Smith machine that I use as a rack + olympic bars + all the weights that I'll ever need for a couple of lifetimes :D

PS - I don't 'use' the Smith machine itself. We don't have a separate squat rack, so just use the pins on the smith machine to set the bar while squatting. Not perfect, but works.
Does it have safeties? If not heavier weights = one way ticket to snapcity player. If you don't increase load you'll not progress.

Actually a regular 6+ft barbell will be fine. Just weigh it before hand so you know the total weight that you are lifting.
A squat rack is something you definitely can't do without. And don't try squatting without one. Also, don't use a Smith machine ever. Period...
A 6 foot Olympic bar would not be good for a proper squat rack. Invest in a full fledged power rack if you are serious about weight training. Won't take more than 6x6' space and you have a home gym better than any gym in your city I assure you that.
You need:
A power rack/squat rack/power cage (Not a squat stand), don't go for Indian brands.
7" feet Olympic bar. : Chinese made would just bend (later when you progress) while doing heavy deadlifting or even squats. I'm still confused which one to buy. So I'm still using standard weights which have crappy torque :(
Around 100 kgs Olympic weights ( begin with) you've to buy more soon as you'll get to 100Kg plus deadlift in no time. Cocso makes them, Rs. 110/- per kg here in Delhi. So 150 kgs would be Rs. 16500 approx.
A heavy duty bench not more than 18" high (total height including the foam/cushion/everything) Ideally it should be 17" and believe it or not 10/11" wide pad)
I'm modded my cage to do chinups and spinal decompression (the bar included with the rack is not that high) and made a simple mod to do body weight bar dips. It is a damn good exercise. Yet to learn power cleans.
I got a custom made bench but the idiot made it 18" high :([DOUBLEPOST=1368301252][/DOUBLEPOST]
Guys asking again, How much would good dumbells cost? Sets of 20-30-40-50 ?
Don't buy them, soon you'll get strong and they'll feel light= waste. Instead do calisthenics. Pushups, pullups, chinups, dips, hindu pushups, burpees.

A squat rack is the most useful gym equipment ever made yet it is hard to find even in super expensive commercial gyms. Even if you do find one small olympic plates are hard to find .. like plates as low as 1.25 kgs. To top it all it is almost impossible to find a proper squat rack and Olympic bars and Olympic weights that can be used to linear progression = all in a single gym. I checked almost all gyms in Gurgaon and west delhi before finally investing in a power rack. I did find one in a Gold Gym in Pitampura but then their monthly fee was Rs. 3500! Rs. 3500x12= Rs. 42000 a year + time + energy+ fuel costs to go to the gym make it frigging 50k. Home gym is a lifetime investment :) When I workout at home I curse myself that I bought it so late :mad: but then i say wtf it is never too late lol 'coz now my gym is just 3 feet away from my room door :happy:[DOUBLEPOST=1368303198][/DOUBLEPOST]
What 'equipment' do you need that a half decent gym would not have?
These:
768px-Power_Rack.JPG

BS.jpg

51a3864ed3ad604d2340c3f8fe249f94_XL.jpg

303.jpg

Try to find all of them in one single gym in your city. If you do just join it.

Try to find all of them in one single gym in your city. If you do just join it.
Did you note my disclaimer? :) I 'work-out' at 'work' . (additionally, I am based in the US, so it might just be that.

I did not know that heavy lifting equipment was this hard to find.

Does it have safeties? If not heavier weights = one way ticket to snapcity player. If you don't increase load you'll not progress.
Yes, it does have safeties. Have already used them couple of times. Currently squatting 240 lbs (Which is roughly 110kg).

Back