The Food Thread

raksrules

Elite
Decided to open this thread after seeing we don't have any dedicated thread related to food. Here you can ask anything about food. Be it recipe of something, sharing your recipe or video that you found interesting, asking how to store certain food or where you can find certain item.
People may also help other members in procuring food items sometimes not available at another person's place.

I will start with my query.

I love avacado but getting in India it is not as easy as US and such. On top of that, imported avacados are crazy expensive so I try to buy indian ones which are sold by kgs and not units.

I have bought a few times avacados online through natures basket and such but the issue I have is almost always we get rock hard avacados and have no clue how to properly ripen them. Any suggestions from guys in Mumbai as to which is a good website for avacados and how to make sure we ripen them properly. It is heart breaking to throw away an expensive avacado as it starts blacking our from outside but is still hard.

I get them in Bangalore, can not really say how they would be in comparison with what is produced in US though.

I get them in Bangalore, can not really say how they would be in comparison with what is produced in US though.

US had the Hass Avacados and it is super expensive in India to buy (₹300 per unit). The Indian ones usually are ₹400 a kilo and such. I buy only when it is little cheaper.

Determining the Hass avacados are ripe is easier I feel, not so much with Indian ones.

I love avacado but getting in India it is not as easy as US and such. On top of that, imported avacados are crazy expensive so I try to buy indian ones which are sold by kgs and not units.

Funnily enough at my parent's place there is an avocado tree and nobody is interested so they just rot on the ground. Also it is interesting how traditionally poor people food like tapioca and sardines are now very popular. I don't think there is any trick to ripening avocados, just let them sit.

No body in home likes Monaco biscuits. But everyone likes peanut butter sandwich biscuits.

E4D84BCA-CDA9-45B0-91E4-87D9BE0329EC.jpeg
C87D8732-0896-44F0-A411-EF3F6CAAB35C.jpeg

The current world is full of copies and lookalikes of crap cookies be it marie/nutrichoice/any cream ones/choco cookies/oats etc. all cos. have copied one another and produced a zol ver. of their own.
So for me Monaco comes as the best one which is very different being salty, crunchy and light.
Krackjack is another fav.

The current world is full of copies and lookalikes of crap cookies be it marie/nutrichoice/any cream ones/choco cookies/oats etc. all cos. have copied one another and produced a zol ver. of their own.
So for me Monaco comes as the best one which is very different being salty, crunchy and light.
Krackjack is another fav.

I tried to make the peanut butter sandwich using krackjack but the taste isn't great compared to Monaco only.

Probably because krackjack are themselves sweet and salty (more sweeter) and peanut butter Is sweet too. But Monaco is absolutely salty so sweet peanut butter I guess complements it.

Is it me getting older or are the Oreo biscuits we get here getting muuuuch sweeter than before? On occasion I get a pack and eating them is like a syringe injection of sugar and it's almost exhausting to finish a pack.

Has anyone tried making a PB&J sandwich in India? People tell me that that jam in India is equivalent to jelly in the US, but does it really translate to Indian jams like Kissan? If so, what flavor of jam would you recommend for a PB&J?

Is it me getting older or are the Oreo biscuits we get here getting muuuuch sweeter than before? On occasion I get a pack and eating them is like a syringe injection of sugar and it's almost exhausting to finish a pack.

Don't know much about oreo but I read in some thread of reddit which said instead of Oreo, one can have the sunfeast dark fantasy biscuits (not the choco filled but the cream biscuits). I have never tasted it though.

Don't know much about oreo but I read in some thread of reddit which said instead of Oreo, one can have the sunfeast dark fantasy biscuits (not the choco filled but the cream biscuits). I have never tasted it though.
I have tried them they are gooey...chocolate poured inside the cover. I prefer Oreas anyday. Just my choice, if anyone likes sunfeast good for them.
I also still love the original bourbon and not their stupid extra sweet clones around.

Last edited:
Back