The Hobbit - Discussion Thread

Awesome!!! And this come right when I ordered the 75th Anniversary special collection of LOTR from FK :)

Hopefully I would be done with it before it reaches the theaters...

mjumrani said:
Awesome!!! And this come right when I ordered the 75th Anniversary special collection of LOTR from FK :)

Hopefully I would be done with it before it reaches the theaters...

It is probably going to hit theaters in fall 2012, plenty of time to finish up with the trilogy until ofcourse the world ends as predicted. :p

I have not read "The Hobbit". Is it more epic in scale than LOTR? Obviously, the movie would make it out to be but does the content of the book make it feel more epic? Peter Jackson is splitting the Hobbit into a 2 part movie so it does feel like it has enough content to turn it into an epic saga.

Bluffmaster said:
I have not read "The Hobbit". Is it more epic in scale than LOTR? Obviously, the movie would make it out to be but does the content of the book make it feel more epic? Peter Jackson is splitting the Hobbit into a 2 part movie so it does feel like it has enough content to turn it into an epic saga.

LoTR is composed of three different books and is considered the magnum opus. It would not be fair to compare Hobbit with LoTR. Hobbit is more of an adventure book, which has a ton of concepts and characterizations and off course Middle - Earth. Using LoTR, Tolkein expands the universe and uses it as a tool to actually tell what he conceptualized. Hobbit is the base. Of course it explains in great detail the workings of the hobbit type and also the dwarf. See what I mentioned in my original post. It is quite a natural progression to move from H, then to FotR, then TT, and then RotK. Of course I cannot mention much more cause it will spoil both formats for readers. But, there is an interesting chapter in The Hobbit, which begins the:
Three Rings for the Elven-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Dwarf-lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Men doomed to die,
One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.

Read it if you get time. It will definitely not spoil the movie, in fact will accentuate your understanding of LoTR series....!

Bluffmaster said:
I have a feeling that this might just triumph over "The Dark Knight Rises".

I would really hate to see that , partly because I'm a v big fan of Nolan and the Batman movies and partly because I didn't find LOTR that awesome, or any fantasy for that matter. But even I think The Hobbit will earn more than TDKR. :(

So I read The Hobbit first?

These 4 books are facing a stiff competition from the 5 book belonging to The Game of Thrones series. Tough choices ahead.

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk

mjumrani said:
So I read The Hobbit first?

These 4 books are facing a stiff competition from the 5 book belonging to The Game of Thrones series. Tough choices ahead.

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk

Correct. Hobbit first. Then progress to the LoTR series. Makes much more sense.

asingh said:
Correct. Hobbit first. Then progress to the LoTR series. Makes much more sense.

Verily, plus it's a much easier read than plowing through LOTR unwary of the immense world that you are about to enter while reading. The Hobbit is what I read first when I was a wee lad (12, actually) and then progressed to LOTR, and its the perfect story to introduce you to Middle Earth

Back