Linux The kewlest thing you have done in Linux?

~uNIx~

Disciple
I have done lot of kewl things on my linux box like iptables, kernel compilation, scripting blah blah...... but the most i like is WINE on linux. :lol:

Tried to make my internal motorola modem(56k) work in Mandrake, but couldnt :(
Download hell lot of rpms and what not...but it just wouldnt run...:(

Installed Linux :D

Had huge hopes of browsing in Lin with RHL 9.0 my conexamt modem(internal) gave probs :(

Actually managed to install pcqlinux 8.0 , including drivers for "old" graphic card + sound card and internal modem and actually connected to the net all in a day. (first try ever)

The next morning formatted the HDD.......

Had installed Red hat 8.0 and used only that OS for a month until my folks were frustrated by the complexities of Openoffice.

Coolest thing i have ever done was installing RedHat 7.0 ;)

Didn't know about some settings, so ended up losing C:\ .. lol.. that was about 3 and half years back. Havent dared to install linux ever since ;)

Hey deejay, that was a pretty good experience with linux ... I remember when I tried installing my first distro - redhat 6.0 - more than an year back, I couldn't get the display to work, and I was struggling with it for over a month, after which I got redhat 7.0, which worked perfectly. At that time I didn't think there was anything more to linux than redhat/mandrake/suse, so I thought that I would need a fairly modern computer to run current distro's .... that was before I tried good distro's like slackware ;)

@unix - how about an iptables tutorial here?

compiled kernel and wrote tutorial.
Created a high performance cluster (only 2 comps tho!!!! - just an example of MPI)
Played arnd with inittab and xorg.conf no end.
Setup all my friends' fstab files.

so the coolest thing i hv ever done
Hmm...................................
Hmmmm................................
Hmmmmmmmmm............................
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm..........................

let me think some more,

yes the coolest think i hv ever done was when i installed RH for the first time,

in the partation option something like erase the complete disk, i didn't checked it nd installed the RH,
find all the data ruined off, then tried to format the disk but couldn't,
then try to find help frm friend but rather then helping me he replied that coz i was using linux so i m not even volentier for warrenty, so it realy kicked me off,
but at last i manage it myself nd love it coz i worked out all the thinks myself.

Intslled Slackware
Customized the desktop completely.
Installed ApacheMysqlPhp, all latest version.
HAd to edit a lot of files for the above to work and run the forums locallly.

Back