The Motherboard Wall Project

napstersquest

Thread Police
Adept
After wanting to have something like this (
) for years, I have finally decided to do it!

Gathered a few dead motherboards from a scrap dealer locally.

Will keep updating!

IMG_20230808_230104.jpg

@arup was very kind and helpful to go to his local shop twice, send pictures, weigh 40 motherboards, pay the scrap seller upfront, pack them all up and send pictures again. I have paid him, arranged for shipping and the package got shipped yesterday. (He even refunded the extra money I sent for the generous help!)

Can't think him enough, we need more people like him in this world!

Now awaiting the package to arrive, and the project will be well underway!

Planning to get a 2-inch thick and 1-inch width frame like one shown in image, and attach a single 1-inch thick sheet of plywood to the wall. Then, all the motherboards can directly be screwed into the plywood, not damaging the wall at all!

Attachments

• motherboard wall project 1.jpg
    motherboard wall project 1.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 178
Planning to get a 2-inch thick and 1-inch width frame like one shown in image, and attach a single 1-inch thick sheet of plywood to the wall.
Frame is okay, but 1" thick ply is unnecessary and will weigh a ton. 12mm prelaminated ply would be best imho.

Frame is okay, but 1" thick ply is unnecessary and will weigh a ton. 12mm prelaminated ply would be best imho.
We have the furniture guys working at the home right now for wardrobe, lofts and kitchen furniture. There will be excess ply left. I don't think they will charge anything extra for it. The ply sheet need not be whole as it won't be seen anyway, and yeah will see which ply is left (1/2" or 1") and use that.

Cleaning it would be a nightmare in our dusty environment, I recommend covering it with some glass or acrylic, which will save you a lot of time and energy.

This is amazing... I'm definitely going to be following this thread for future updates and photos!

@napstersquest : Will you be painting the motherboards like in the LTT video? What color have you decided on using?

This is amazing... I'm definitely going to be following this thread for future updates and photos!
Stay tuned because this has to be done by Friday (have housewarming party on Saturday)
@napstersquest : Will you be painting the motherboards like in the LTT video? What color have you decided on using?
Yes, matte white. Haven't bought the spray paint yet. The new house's paint job is finishing tomorrow, and the motherboards sent by @arup are still in shipping so won't be able to get it done by the painters themselves. So will go with spray paint cans.

The wall had some electrical wiring done (this was a wardrobe wall so no outlets before) so it went from looking like this

Screenshot_2023-08-22-20-16-28-26_92460851df6f172a4592fca41cc2d2e6.jpg

To this (after puttying and sanding).
Screenshot_2023-08-22-20-16-47-53_92460851df6f172a4592fca41cc2d2e6.jpg

Paint was finished yesterday, today the carpenters created and attached the outer frame and plywood.

Will add pic tomorrow in fresh daylight.

Are you going to use any primer of sorts ?

Just thinking about how the paint would come up on different coloured boards and materials (plastics , PCB , shielded parts) and if any tint / unevenness might show...
No primer, just few coats of paint that's what I am thinking. Let's see!
IMG20230825163319.jpg

Let us begin!

Last edited:
Aren't u going to put some highlights on these.....all white and with almost all white walls looks to be too much camouflaged....doesn't it.

Back