The NEW Start Menu for Windows 8 is here!

Hi All,

The folks over at ReviverSoft (A US based startup) appear to have tackled the most commonly known problem (omission) with Windows 8: The missing start menu

See it in action here:

News source

I think ReviverSoft's Start Menu Reviver is better than any other start menu alternatives out there because it beautifully combines the visual elements of Windows 8 while restoring the full functionality of the Windows start menu. Add to that the support for touch screen devices, plenty of customization and compatibility with Windows 7. The icing on the cake: It's completely FREE!

Check it out at http://startmenureviver.com/

Using it on my Win 8 Pro and Win 7 ultimate machines now, works like a dream.

What do you guys think?

Cheers,
T.T.M

These have been around for as long as Windows 8 have been.
so i guess its not a news.

it would have been news if Microsoft released the patch/fix/update to enable Windows 8 Start Menu.

Hi guys,

Yes, there are a few other alternatives and yes it's not news from Microsoft.

However, Start Menu Reviver aims to be different from the what's available now. It "enhances" the start menu experience on your Windows Desktop as opposed to merely offering you a basic start menu.

With more and more touch based (Win 8) computers hitting the market, Start Menu Reviver is also a touch-friendly, launchpad solution for the Windows 8 Desktop.

What's really cool about it though is that it can be customized in every way (tiles, colors, images, shortcuts etc.) and be productive at the same time.

For Windows 7 users, this would be a refreshing change over the default start menu on your desktop without comprising on functionality.

I see no harm in trying Start Menu Reviver to see if you like it :)

Is it optimized...? I remember using some of the start emulator plug-ins for Win8. They grossly slowed down the system. Bootup time went up, and the overall fluidity suffered too.

@asingh, bssunil, honest1

There is some lag (2-4 secs) when the app runs on initial start up. This is because the app needs to load your customized tiles and shortcuts. The load time varies on the specs and media of your PC. SSD based PCs should see little to no lag on startup. Definitely looking into optimizing this further.

Again, this is only on the first run. Few seconds into the desktop and SMR should be very snappy and responsive to use!

And yes, it's been tested and optimized for all variants of Win 8 and Win 7. I for one use it on a Dell Studio15 with W7x64Ultimate and on a MBA running W8x64Pro.

Start Menu Reviver is still at its early stages and they're listening in on all the feedback and suggestions to offer a rock-solid, well-optimized, user-focused product. Just a matter of time really and SMR supports auto updates too.

Thanks for the feedback.

Cheers,
TTM

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Violax,

I've been using it for a few weeks now and I haven't experienced any lag.

When exactly does it lag? When you arrive at the desktop and launch SMR for the first time? Your system specs please?

Thanks

Back