The Nokia Lumia 822 Has a Big Secret

Superbad

Skilled
get your contacts in US to good use

The Nokia Lumia 822 for Verizon is an unlocked GSM phone. That's right there is spot for a sim card in there and it almost doesn't matter who's card you slip in it works! A friend of mine is using his with a pre-paid carrier called Straight talk and I am using a local carrier called Immix Wireless on mine.Why is this such good news you ask? Because this device is bargain on sites like Ebay. In fact as am writing this there is an 822 on Ebay for under 200USD delivered! We are not talking about some old single cored low spec'd device here running Windows Phone 7.5. No, no, no this is a 1.5Ghz dual cored, 1 Gb of Ram, 16Gb of internal storage, 4.3 inch Gorilla Glass display with an 8mp camera on the back smartphone all for around 200USD contract free! This phone is a the Nokia Lumia 820's more beefier better spec'd twin brother. (My review for the Lumia 820 here.)Which makes the real question for a lot of you out there will phone work with my carrier? The answer is that if the Lumia 822 supports your carriers bands and you have a GSM carrier it should. To make it easier I found the GSM bands the 822 works on and put them below for you.
  • GSM 850
  • GSM 900
  • GSM 1800
  • GSM 1900
  • LTE 700
The other question is data speed on this device and your carrier... Again I will put that information below for you.
  • HSPA+ (3G)
  • EDGE/EGPRS (2G)
  • FDD-LTE (4G)
  • HSUPA (3G)
  • GSM (2G)
  • HSDPA (3G)
  • LTE (4G)
  • CDMA (2G)
  • WCDMA (3G)
  • CDMA 2000 EVDO (3G)
You will want to verify with your carrier to make sure these bands will work with your carrier BEFORE you purchase this device. If you would like more information on the Nokia Lumia 822 check out the full spec sheet here.
Read more at

The Nokia Lumia 822 Has a Big Secret | Daily Mobile

^ Unlocking might be illegal, using an already unlocked phone isn't. As per this report, the phone is UNLOCKED for GSM.

- - - Updated - - -

Just checked, I don't seem to find this phone with a factory unlock for GSM

Who cares? Just get the device unlocked to CDMA. The law was passed for GSM.

Edit: Actually this can be unlocked to GSM outside of US. When this phone would be exported it would be termed as CDMA phone, hence no law broken. Once you get it use it with GSM. And I think this one won't even need unlocking.

Edit: Actually this can be unlocked to GSM outside of US. When this phone would be exported it would be termed as CDMA phone, hence no law broken. Once you get it use it with GSM. And I think this one won't even need unlocking.

If that is the case and all the frequency bands that are supported by the device are compatible in India, nothing is amiss save who is exporting this to countries like India. And what is the catch.

This is already factory unlocked for GSM use outside USA.

Edit - From the first post, It seems it is unlocked for use within US as well. Just like the Droid DNA and Verizon iPhone 5.

Back