The Perfect Green Tea Recipe ?

! 0 t A

Skilled
Ok, I have been advised to drink GREEN TEA from god knows how many people for reasons beyond me, but they say its good.

So , I tried to drink it yesterday , followed the standard procedure for an tea preparation. . Hot Water + Tea Bag + Some Honey [They say sugar will spoil the purpose] :S

But it tasted like YUCK :mad:, cudnt sip down half a mug. . maybe i just detest the taste of Honey or something.

So if any TEite has found something thatll make this drinkable then please share. Maybe something like adding lemon or some juice ?

PS : Please dont Google and give me quotes. .already done that , and they suck:mad:

axeman said:
Leaf, Water, Sweetener, let it sit after a boil for 5-8 mins, then try.

Thats it naa ! Dont like the taste of this concoction , that is why i need something that will overpower the taste and still maintain the godly powers :hap2:

Hey , My mom was asked to have a cup of Green Tea a day for some medicinal purposes. She was proposed lemon as an ingridient that will make the taste worth drinking.

I tried it once and have been a fan of it since then. It makes an excellent refreshing beverage with lots and lots of health benefits It has comparable and acceptable amounts of caffeine as well which keeps me awake during late night surfing/studying sessions.

I have Twining's and Tetley's Green Tea teabags ( I recommend the former of what I've tried.. Tetley is seriously hopeless) and although I add normal sugar to the boiling water ( after cooling it to 85 degree celcius) adding a dash of lime to the tea after brewing shouldn't hurt as thats what the doctor recommended. :p I would still like to see someone knowledgable testify it.

Don't use honey. You can use normal sugar. Avoid using sweeteners as they contain aspartame. Avoid using milk too. Green tea is not tasty. It tastes like medicine, but you have to develop that taste. I have tested a lot of varieties, black tea (ordinary tea ie Taj mahal etc.) is usually the tastiest of the lot.

+1 for Twining's and Tetley's Green Tea. You can get Tetley's Lemon, Mint and Honey Tea Bag that is what I use and like. Also no milk and use cubes instead of normal sugar.

First thing to remember when making green tea is that it should not be boiled.. and it shouldn't be too strong also. It is also better to avoid any sweetener. Green tea is best when you drink it without milk or sweeteners.

BOil water and allow it to cool until it is just hot enough to be sipped. Put one green tea bag in it, and allow the tea to diffuse in the water for not more than half a minute to 45 seconds. If its left for too long, it'll definitely be bitter. Do not expect the green tea to be as dark as the routine tea. It won't.

tl;dr

lol, j/k.

Just buy the effing teabags and be done with it. Why do you want to go through all this hassle for something as trivial as a cuppa? Twinings is decent.

Also, Nestea's come out with Mint Iced Tea which is a nice alternative too.

The key to making green tea and having those benefits is to never put the tea and let it boil. Always take the pot down put the tea ( bags/leaf) and cover it . Let it be like this for 4-5 mins and then drink it.

I just gulp it :D

^ like he said. you should not boil the water. just heat it till around 80 deg (at that point you can see tiny air bubbles rising to the top) switch off burner, put in the tea bag (i found out that removing tea from tea bags is more better - allows the tea leaves to flow more evenly in the hot water). Let is for 3-4 mins.

no millk, sugar. use a little salt (a pinch) if you feel very thirsty or dehydrated. it tastes very sour but you need to just gulp it down.

Comparatively, normal indian tea tastes quite sweet if done this way.

ultra vires said:
The key to making green tea and having those benefits is to never put the tea and let it boil. Always take the pot down put the tea ( bags/leaf) and cover it . Let it be like this for 4-5 mins and then drink it.

I just gulp it :D

Yep that is right, i don't add anything to it either, guess i developed a taste for it.

well, ive never tried the bags. i usually use the leaves which come in a box. u just put them in a glass or a pot and pour hot water over it and not boiling water. the glass/cup usually has a lot of leaves floating/settled in it. thats the real way to have it.

Develop is the key word. I first started having tea without milk/ sugar and prepared with water just below boiling temps cos i read somewhere it was the way to really taste tea :p. I was quite younger and even while detesting the taste, I used to sip it like that just to show how polished I am :rofl:. Over time, I really started enjoying the flavour and now can make out even the subtle differences among different brands.

That said, I'm more into pitch black coffee nowadays :p ! No time to really enjoy a cup of tea. Work - coffee, game/ party - booze, sleep or run after my daughter :no:!

I used to put a few leaves in a cup and pour in hot water. Never did prefer tea bags. Of course, being across the state border of Assam, I had access to real good tea. Since you're into it for the health benefits, give green tea a chance and try it for some days. You might just develop a taste for it.

San Francisco has one of the largest China Town area's the USA so finding good Green Tea here is pretty easy and my wife loves it and drinks it daily.

Adding milk to it is actually very tasty they even make green tea icecream that is awesome.

It has very good anti-oxidant properties and the caffeine level while pretty high for tea, is still manageable for many people hat can't drink coffee.

Sugar is usually the way to go as Green Tea has a tendency to get a little bitter if it is too strong and honey doesn't mix as well.

There is a definite difference in quality of green tea's and I would suggest staying away from anything that is in a tea bag unless it is high quality and not something mainstream. Brewing your own loose tea will allow you to find much better quality and let you control the strength.

One of our favorite tea's is called Gen-Mai Cha from Japan and it is a Green tea with roasted rice in it which gives it a wonderful nutty flavor. If you can find it, I highly recommend it.

^^ No way would such thing be economical to most of us even if it manages to be found.

Though i know most of what we get here is not even close to what original and pure green tea must taste,thats just how i feel.

Well,

Seems like the health consciousness is on the rise.

@!OTA,

You have burnt the tea....the colour shouldn't turn to brown or darkish green....should be florescent green...to mild grreen.

Remember the dialogue in Oceans 13, where Roman Nagel mouths the dialogue "And don't burn it.Pour it just before boiling point, not after."

Green tea is best when you prepare using tea leaves & not in the bag...It doesn't mean you dont have to use bags...

Follow these:

1) Boil water in a tea pot or a vessel upto the stage where you can see bubbles.Now turn the heat off & allow it to cool for a few seconds.

2)- Now immerse the tea bags in the tea pot.Note - one tea bag for 300ml of water.

- One teaspoon of Tea leaves for 300ml of water.

3) Allow it to diffuse in the water...There is no time limit for immersion of leaves or bag..Since different brands are in the field...Just trust your eyes.

4) When the colour of water turns light green ..better ...florescent green remove the tea leaves & drink the concoction as such...I use the word concoction bcause you guys can treat it as tea or medicine or cleanser ..The taste is mildly sour.

5) Additives: Sure you can add anything you want...But

---Sugar or Cubes or lite - When the whole point is health why use sugar...

---Honey - Use a quart of tea spoon to 300ml of water to preserve the taste else it will taste like some sweet dish in our indian homes.

---Lemon - Its the best one out there - few drops of lemon (you can decide).mix it well

---Tulsi leaves - This is another best ...prepare tulsi tea first..4-5 leaves for 100ml of water. Boil the water ...then allow it to cool & then add tulsi leaves...leave it for 2 min & then mix these with the green tea...

Tea bags & tea leaves:

Tea bags dont allow proper diffusion of tea as compared with tea leaves.But tea leaves make the job more easier since the mess is easier to clean.

Usage over & over again:

To make things economical, many people suggest reuse of leaves.

As far as i have experienced, you can reuse the same tea bags to last thrice.

Just make sure that there is no water from the previous concoction inside the bag

Brands available in India:

Tetly - TATA has just preyed into all markets...ONE Judgement AVOID Tetly.Though the pricing is sweet @ INR 35 for 10bags or 70 for tea leaves...Its commonly available in the market though..There are many varieties like mint, ginger etc.,

Twininngs - Its comparatively better than Tetly though ..Pricing are a bit high though..would prefer this to tetly.

Srilankan brands - There are a lot of imports nowadays..I haven't tried it though.Make sure the date of import is within a month of manufacture & the date of import is within 3 months from the date of purchase. I have tasted the srilankan green tea once in a hotel...Dont know the brand used...but tasted better. Price can make a dent in your pocket from INR 100 to INR 350 for 250gms

Assam/Darjeeling Brands - Am not sure of it though...

@ Naga - can you help me out. Have seen a lot of the brands. but dont know what to trust.

Dia series - Following the diet mania, these brands pop up with their own leaves...Priced just a little heavy than Twinnings these can be used too

Back