The PSPhone - Awesomeness inching closer to reality!!

phoenix844884

The Analyst
Skilled
Today a prototype of the fabled PSPhone was found hanging out in the wilds.

28stwe0.jpg

The prototype device is sporting a vanilla flavor of Android. God knows how that will go with gaming considering even with a 100,000+ apps in the Android market, gaming has always been on the backseat.

More information here -

The Playstation Phone | Engadget

PlayStation Phone leak reveals prototype device, platform details | Joystiq

PlayStation Phone revealed, looks like a PSP Go with Android

Sony should just make a PSP which can give today's times graphics in handheld. DOnt bog themselves down with making it into a phone

This still looks like a prototype...2011 wish list :clap:

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

comp@ddict said:
Sony should just make a PSP which can give today's times graphics in handheld. DOnt bog themselves down with making it into a phone
Have you played GOW: Ghost of Sparta??? go play it.

bad mojo here taking up the desing of the PSP Go..

Needs some serious redesigning.. if this goes ahead sony will be crucifying the their hallmark brand ..

The japs need to get it together.

Re: Awesomeness inching closer to reality!!

The build of the prototype looks sad. I hope the final version looks a lot better.

Spacescreamer said:
Now i really wanna see the faces of people who purchased the PSP Go ...! :D
Bah that's a lame statement. The PSP GO did not take off well in India due to a whole lot of reasons. Besides, you are comparing a device with another which was launched in a gap of almost 2 years. Not fair. :p

Dont need to think abt the hacking part too much.
The screen makes it clear that is should be a touchscreen as well. Now that should give you lot of clues.. Games supported by Android comes naturally, like Angry birds. Then not to forget the neat lil app called Nesoid and the other emulators of every kind.
Retro gaming never goes out of fashion.

@ Desecrator
I am not comparing, but the very idea of Go was pretty stupid. It needed some impetus and i dissuaded many people from getting a Go. Asked them to either wait out or get a reg psp.
This phone will make Sony device allowing for non Sony platform games to be run.. which reg Go wont allow for crying out loud.

But again the price is gonna be the key here.
Lastly.. Sony device running non sony fw.. maybe more chances of running unsigned code. :)

I am still unconvinced at the genuinity of this product info/pic despite it comming from Engadget.

the blog has exceptional coverage but this particular one comes without any source or any real information ,, just fuels more speculation ..

Spacescreamer said:
Dont need to think abt the hacking part too much.

I am not comparing, but the very idea of Go was pretty stupid. It needed some impetus and i dissuaded many people from getting a Go. Asked them to either wait out or get a reg psp.

This phone will make Sony device allowing for non Sony platform games to be run.. which reg Go wont allow for crying out loud.

But again the price is gonna be the key here.

Lastly.. Sony device running non sony fw.. maybe more chances of running unsigned code. :)
Just the possibility of it running oodles of unsigned code makes me giddy with delight. :p

The pricing will be upwards of $500 at launch. Thats my best guess because obviously its launch market will be US and if Metalspree is correct above with it having a CDMA radio, then it could be heading to either Sprint or Verizon, both of which will drive the pricing to $200-300 with a 2 year contract. Unsubsidized pricing therefore, as per the recent line of devices, will be around $550. Although this is all speculation and much remains to be seen.

But you can't be hopeful enough with a PSPhone! I mean it is finally happening!

Lastly, the PSP Go was not stupid, just not thought out completely. Sony desperately wanted to clamp down on PSP piracy and they favored digital content over physical media. What they forgot was that with digital services and content, they cannot support games that have long gameplay and huge file sizes. Thats why Apple phones, and lately android, are doing well with mobile gaming, because they have content rich, small sized games. Sony lost the plot with PSP Go right there. I mean look at what happened to PSP Minis. How many did they eventually release? All they do is re-release old PSP games with price tags of $9.99.

Desecrator said:
What is that center space for? Analog controls perhaps? :p
You know what would be awesome? If they would put in two trackpads in those spots, preferably multi-touch. Just like the trackpads they have on some HTC phones, dunno whether they are laser or IR based.

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

And some more information leaking out -

The PlayStation Phone is still real -- Engadget

Sony Ericsson Z-System: the PlayStation Phone's gaming platform? -- Engadget

Metalspree said:
MSM 8655 is a CDMA based proccy not GSM .So this phone is basically for only US Sprint network,beat me if i am wrong .
Thats the Sony Ericsson Zeus and it will be equipped with a MSM7X30 processor and Adreno 205 GPU. There will also be a similar model with codename Zeus_256.

Back