The Raspberry Pi Thread

I'm looking to use my Pi for some more things but my biggest limitation is my ISP using dual NAT so no port forwarding(if anyone knows a way lmk, i'm not very good at network stuff). LMK if there's something you guys have in mind

Currently it acts as a Pi-hole+SMB server and a makeshift Telegram bot and seedbox to remotely start downloading torrents(Linux ISOs).

I have a very restrictive college wifi so I've considered hosting a Telegram proxy in it to bypass restrictions but the GitHub repo doesn't seem to like ARM a lot. Another thing I thought about was OpenVPN server but again dual NAT doesn't work with that.
You can use tailscale, I think it can work behind a CGNAT too.

You can use tailscale, I think it can work behind a CGNAT too.
+1 for tailscale
OH. MY. GOD.
How is something so good and I have just heard about it(also such a generous free tier, I use 5 devices at max). Took me all of 10 minutes to setup(30 more to read documentation about all the features though haha, loved TailDrop, my personal internet Airdrop)

Though, will contain my excitement till I get back to college or get someone to test it out for me(they've blocked all UDP and a lot of TCP ports for some reason;-;), If it ends up working, I am never going to switch off this Pi haha

yes, tailscale is a godsend when you are running some kind of server on raspberry pi sitting on home. Personally i have a jellyfin based media server running on docker on rasp pi 4, and it works like a charm, even shared it with 2 of my friends in different location, and it just works.

streaming high bitrate hd media works without any issue.

I had switched over to a NanoPi R6C with official passive cooling case in Apr and never looked back.

My Pi 4 RJ45 port had a bent pin and at that point the Pis were way more expensive or OoS.

Furthermore it has a PCIe slot where I directly plugged in a WD Blue SN570 1 TB SSD and everything is neatly contained in a single box with similar form factor to a Pi and doesn't need external SSD enclosures hanging off the side

I run the following stuff on it-
1695893463943.png

I am running pihole & flaresolvver on docker containers,tinyrss on bare metal install as well as flexget for automated torrent downloads.

It runs a RK3588S 8 nm chip with 4xA76 cores @2.4 GHz & 4xA55 cores @1.8 Ghz and is way faster than a Pi4.
The Pi 5 has 4xA76 cores @ 2.4 GHz but its a 16nm node so power draw is higher.

It runs pretty cool as well.
1695893782214.png

The Pi 5 might be a better deal albeit with higher power draw if we don't get scalped.

Last edited:
Just a word of warning on Fabtolab - I have had pathetic experience with them. They tend to show a product is in stock when its actually not. This is as of early 2022 but I bought something which was shown to be in stock but the order never got processed for weeks with no response. When I contacted them and they claimed that they had it back-ordered but after weeks and weeks of delay I had to eventually cancel. There was absolutely no response each time and I had to contact them multiple times (phone + email). I had to threaten them of legal action before they finally refunded.

I had switched over to a NanoPi R6C with official passive cooling case in Apr and never looked back.

My Pi 4 RJ45 port had a bent pin and at that point the Pis were way more expensive or OoS.

Furthermore it has a PCIe slot where I directly plugged in a WD Blue SN570 1 TB SSD and everything is neatly contained in a single box with similar form factor to a Pi and doesn't need external SSD enclosures hanging off the side

View attachment 178988

I am running pihole & flaresolvver on docker containers,tinyrss on bare metal install as well as flexget for automated torrent downloads.

It runs a RK3588S 8 nm chip with 4xA76 cores @2.4 GHz & 4xA55 cores @1.8 Ghz and is way faster than a Pi4.

View attachment 178997

The Pi 5 might be a better deal albeit with higher power draw if we don't get scalped.
The Pi 5 consumer about 6-7 W under full load and about 1.5W at idle, so we are taking about may be 50 units of electricity through a year. At this level, a 8nm process isn't going to save much. Benefits of a smaller node is probably best realised for powerful devices or those on battery.

Having said that there are n number of SBCs available if all you need is power. The appeal of the Pi is probably all the maker projects made for it. Also intended for those who intend to use more of what it offers like the GPIO, UART, PCIe interface (not being M.2 offers more freedom), MIPI transreceivers and such.

View attachment 178988

View attachment 178997

f you go 2-4x the cost of a PI obviously you'll get more performance. Else a p for 4k and an enclosure for 500-2k is a much cheaper setup. nearly half the price. If you go that hgh, I suggest paying a bit more for a second hand NUC. Any dongle will give you the second lan port.

f you go 2-4x the cost of a PI obviously you'll get more performance. Else a p for 4k and an enclosure for 500-2k is a much cheaper setup. nearly half the price. If you go that hgh, I suggest paying a bit more for a second hand NUC. Any dongle will give you the second lan port.
Yeah it makes no sense with Pi 4s at their usual price range.
But at that point the cheapest in-stock Pi 4 was like 17k or something on Amazon. None of the other sites like robu.in had them in stock and I needed a replacement urgently as my Pi 4 was kaput due to the bent RJ45 pin.

I also looked at Asus PN41 mini PC but opted to go for this as its a more compact solution and was slightly cheaper as I didn't need to buy RAM.
The NanoPi R6S is at 120$ for the 4GB version whereas the PI 5 is at 60$ for 4 GB as per official pricing and the performance benefit was almost 4X.

I see 4 GB Pi 5 at Rs 6249 on Robu but its OoS.

Just a word of warning on Fabtolab - I have had pathetic experience with them. They tend to show a product is in stock when its actually not. This is as of early 2022 but I bought something which was shown to be in stock but the order never got processed for weeks with no response. When I contacted them and they claimed that they had it back-ordered but after weeks and weeks of delay I had to eventually cancel. There was absolutely no response each time and I had to contact them multiple times (phone + email). I had to threaten them of legal action before they finally refunded.
Similar experience for me too, I ordered one product and it was backordered and never shipped, after three months, I posted bad review on google, and I said if you refund my money, I'll change my bad review to neutral, that did the trick, they refunded my money.

Back