The real reason why India banned Tiktok

Status
Not open for further replies.
If I remember correctly, the stated reason was something along the lines of TikTok illicitly transfering data across our borders.

Any social media can be a tool for social unrest. It is widely condoned, in the spirit of free speech I suppose, as long as it is open for everyone within the country and more importantly govt. gets to finger the pulse.

Not sure about us being the only country to ban, though. Many have been on the news for bans that got lifted shortly after, like we did prior to the outright ban, as well. I remember seeing some outright bans from other countries as well.

That video basically compiled footage posted by Israeli soldiers, the gruesome ones can be found elsewhere.
If you want to willingly ignore something just because it doesn't fit your worldview, it isn't my problem.
Soldiers? How about former heads of service who are now private citizens taking on partisan positions to attack whatever government is/was in office. Not new. From back in 2012, see this

Now in the recent present I want you to imagine the following in an Indian context.

A former head of air force calling on serving military pilots numbering about 20,000 to refuse to fly because he thinks the present government is going to turn Israel into a Jewish 'rashtra' :oops:

Ah, the joys of democracy taken to such a point that the country becomes ungovernable. Last time this happened in India an emergency was declared. Hamas watching all this and timed their attack appropriately.

They were at each other's necks over judicial reform with tens of thousands on the streets until Oct 7 and then they set aside their petty differences and came together.
Israel continues to get bolder to trigger a broader conflict in the region and it soon won't be able to hide behind the "6 million jews" or "anti-semitism" shield to hide its actions anymore.

Broader conflict has been mentioned by numerous commentators. Thing is nobody is interested. Unless Iran gets directly involved it won't happen and Iran isn't going to. They will rely on their proxies

Israel has two issues. Return the 250k IDPs (they won't say refugees) back to their homes. They will not be buffer zones inside Israel. The south is being taken care of.

What happens in the north remains to be seen. The Americans have warned them not to go unilateral.
If I remember correctly, the stated reason was something along the lines of TikTok illicitly transfering data across our borders.
Right
Any social media can be a tool for social unrest. It is widely condoned, in the spirit of free speech I suppose, as long as it is open for everyone within the country and more importantly govt. gets to finger the pulse.
Which they can't with TT
Not sure about us being the only country to ban, though. Many have been on the news for bans that got lifted shortly after, like we did prior to the outright ban, as well. I remember seeing some outright bans from other countries as well.
I'm referring to outright bans.

Seems like we have company. Nepal. All reasons mentioned apply to India also.

Afghanistan cannot stop it & Pakistan lifted their ban. The rest only prohibit it on government phones

Last edited:
No, all other tools are social media 1.0

Tiktok is 2.0. Much more potent.

Which before being banned had 200 million users in India alone. This why the Jewish case is relevant. Global targeting.
what who couldn't? You mean govt. fingering the pulse? Don't think that was an issue.
Tiktok will not comply with takedown requests as the Nepali government discovered.

I don't think its a best use of my time to argue with someone who is not open to see anything beyond his preconceived opinion so I am out of this discussion.

I don't think its a best use of my time to argue with someone who is not open to see anything beyond his preconceived opinion so I am out of this discussion.
It's not me boss. It's you

That is the power of perception. Facts don't matter.

Now imagine a government trying to do it. No chance. Hence ban tik tok.

Incidentally the Israeli government is being slammed for not doing a good job at communicating. They've done a better job than they have with previous conflicts.

Some are cynical. Nothing the Israelis say will ever be believed in some circles so why bother. The British media for example always begins the story by what Israel did or reacted to but not mentioning the trigger. They confuse fire & firefighter.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back