The real reason why you don't get a charger with your phone

I am Android fan who is using using ios right now so i will say my two cents having tried both.
Agree that Apple used to slow the phones down, I assume that has changed after the lawsuit mess.
Samsung also had to settle a lawsuit by paying millions because they were also caught slowing the phones deliberately.
I have used a poco fand being a nerd I used to keep running benchmarks and record the frame rates during pubg. Over the course of 18 Months, the phone had been slowed down considerably.

It wasn't about the hardware because the benchmarks and pubg frame rates used to go back to great when on pixel experience, Nitrogen OS, Lineage OS and Resurrection Remix (Didn't try others)

What I mean to say is that many manufacturers slow their devices down either knowingly or unknowingly. It isn't an ios or Android thing.
Now about rooting, less than 20% of the a Android phones Have a good community for Roms. Only some Xiaomi phones and Oneplus phones have good support.

Right now i haven't even gotten into the problems with rooting. Many rooms have seLinux set to permissive. Many other roms don't support Twrp unlock password prompt at the start. Which means if the device gets stolen, the thief can easily access the data. If the bootloader is locked then the thief will need to reset the phone and wipe all data. But with an unlocked bootloader, if a Twrp password locking isn't supported, it can be risky.

In short, there are too many troubles with rooting. Also, you need to know what you are doing and it isn't for everyone.

While there are many things Android does better - battery life, charging speed, gcam on budget phones, high refresh rates, 1000x better ux for dual sim usage, ability to clear app data without needing to uninstall an app, good file manager, ability to transfer files using a USB cable, the ability to actually turn off wifi and Bluetooth antenna (ios only disconnects but does not turn off), rooting with xposed framework, ability to stop charging at 80% by using third party apps etc etc

There are some areas where Android can't touch ios - long and on time security updates, Zero frame drops in UI (readers can turn on profile gpu rendering in developer options to check what I mean).

I think for anyone who isn't a nerd, ios is not a bad choice at all. Not value for money maybe, but still a good choice if you are okay paying a bit extra. For nerds (like me), Android is awesome and ios can be frustrating. I had to put my second sim into another phone because the ux on the iphone for switching between sims was so bad. I still love the zero frame drops on ui and the timely and long updates.
Agreed with most of your points

However, I am speaking from my personal experience in H2 2020 with my wife's backup iphone 7. It was slow as hell and used to work properly before all the updates.

Maybe it was the updates or maybe just the older iphones are not capable of working without lag.

I think for anyone who isn't a nerd, ios is not a bad choice at all. Not value for money maybe, but still a good choice if you are okay paying a bit extra.

Many people on this forum including me I think are Ex-Nerds. As in, there was a time when we loved to do all that Android phone tweaking and putting ROMs and such. This was when I was 26-28 years old. Now I am 37, I am not into any of those things. Life catches up. I can still use android but between last 10 years, a time came when I switched to iPhone to "try it out" and found my liking and till date using it. First iPhone in 2012 and 2nd in 2015 and still going strong.
I don't even have any hate for android, myself using amazon fire tablet which is android and TVs which have android OS. I just prefer iOS more.

PS: About slowness, I admit apple did that. But after the fiasco, they gave user option to throttle phone or not. I use 6S which is 5+ years old, on iOS 14 and it works very smooth (for the phone it is being used on).

Many people on this forum including me I think are Ex-Nerds. As in, there was a time when we loved to do all that Android phone tweaking and putting ROMs and such. This was when I was 26-28 years old. Now I am 37, I am not into any of those things. Life catches up. I can still use android but between last 10 years, a time came when I switched to iPhone to "try it out" and found my liking and till date using it. First iPhone in 2012 and 2nd in 2015 and still going strong.
I don't even have any hate for android, myself using amazon fire tablet which is android and TVs which have android OS. I just prefer iOS more.

PS: About slowness, I admit apple did that. But after the fiasco, they gave user option to throttle phone or not. I use 6S which is 5+ years old, on iOS 14 and it works very smooth (for the phone it is being used on).
Hahaha..nice word - Ex-nerd.
As much as I hate it, I am also becoming an Ex-nerd gradually. Life is indeed catching up. Life on this side of 30 means having a lot of things on the plate all of the time.

Also, I work in product-marketing teams of b2c tech products so always love trying out different apps and products just to see how they reduce friction and make user journeys. Luckily, my job allows me to stay being a tech nerd in some ways.

As I said earlier in the thread I didn't open this thread about one specific company :

Regarding this thread, only the apple loyalists thought that it is about Apple and became defensive. The thread was about the practice of not providing chargers. It can be samsung apple or abc company.If you would have seen the video and my comments, it is not specifically about any particular company but for every company that engages in such money-grabbing practices. However, I guess you and other loyalists, took it as an attack on Apple as inevitably such practices are often started by the greediest companies.

Let's stay on the topic of my original thread instead of again going into why apple is not to be blamed for anything and why it is the best os even on 10+ year old devices. :D

The updates and android not being smooth come down to old beliefs which people have from using android many many years ago but these things haven't been true for Android for a few years now. They haven't used android on a 15k+ device in last 2-3 years or used only on cheap tablets which have always been bad for android.

I am speaking from my personal experience in H2 2020 with my wife's backup iphone 7. It was slow as hell and used to work properly before all the updates. Forget smooth as butter, it is smooth as sandpaper. People should try using a pixel to understand what buttery smooth means.

Last edited:
Wow, you must be really delusional to make a post personal
Sorry man, my intention is not to make personal! You made a sweeping statement saying, Apple users make more money than others by spending less time. So I was looking for some proof... Thats all :).

Again you throw bunch of links(usual tactics by fan boys) which don't have any relevance for the claim you made.

Also there's lots difference between saying video and image professionals preferring iMac than telling Apple users make more money than others :D

Sorry man, my intention is not to make personal! You made a sweeping statement saying, Apple users make more money than others by spending less time. So I was looking for some proof... Thats all :).

Again you throw bunch of links(usual tactics by fan boys) which don't have any relevance for the claim you made.

Also there's lots difference between saying video and image professionals preferring iMac than telling Apple users make more money than others :D
Cool, but I specifically mentioned that I am not making a sweeping statement but rather emphasising on the general trend. I prefer putting links because most people end up providing anecdotal evidence on why their experience matters more than the rest of the universe in passing a judgement.

I will never understand the reason why people have to be biased and divided about the company they prefer to follow. I was trying to put a more balanced view forward but probably that will not work, so moving on from this thread as it will serve no other purpose rather than flame wars.

Tldw : nothing to do with environment and everything to line their pockets with money. Absurd how some people need this to be spelled out to not fall for the fake marketing.

Human stupidity and universe are infinite. I'm not so sure about the universe

Informative video. If these companies are saying that they are not giving charger for the sake of environment, then they are obviously lying to their consumers. Without a charger, how can they even think of selling a mobile phone?

They should give a choice to the customer, like how Xiaomi did with one of their phones, to add the charger to the order at no extra cost. That seems like a reasonable option.

Sad reality is almost all other companies will eventually adopt this model. It sells more and Apple has proved that people are tolerant to this change. Sure there are some complains but no outrages.

Getting fined by government for apples pocket change isn't going to change that.

Sad reality is almost all other companies will eventually adopt this model. It sells more and Apple has proved that people are tolerant to this change. Sure there are some complains but no outrages.

Getting fined by government for apples pocket change isn't going to change that.
The companies totally follow the sheep culture.

The companies totally follow the sheep culture.

The fact is that Apple's marketing and appeal is becoming ever more effective and they will keep driving the industry for several years if not decades if the trend continues.

At the end of the day, every new initiative from Apple focuses on cross-selling or increased margins and while others will imitate them, Apple will continue to do so much more successfully and there will be not much differentiation in terms of competition. Get the feeling that most Android manufacturers are digging their own grave.

Android Rapidly Losing Users to iPhone - MacRumors

The fact is that Apple's marketing and appeal is becoming ever more effective and they will keep driving the industry for several years if not decades if the trend continues.

At the end of the day, every new initiative from Apple focuses on cross-selling or increased margins and while others will imitate them, Apple will continue to do so much more successfully and there will be not much differentiation in terms of competition. Get the feeling that most Android manufacturers are digging their own grave.

Android Rapidly Losing Users to iPhone - MacRumors
I have a different take, I think the competition has been a blessing for Android to become what it has today.

5,000 U.S.-based smartphone users. So definitely not a representation of global or indian market, if a good representation of the US market itself.

Hope the competition continues though, this has really helped android develop drastically. With phones getting progressively cheap and even a 15k smartphone being mostly a complete phone to now manufacturer like Samsung promising 4 years of updates, the competition has been a blessing for Android to become what it has today.

I have a different take, I think the competition has been a blessing for Android to become what it has today.

5,000 U.S.-based smartphone users. So definitely not a representation of global or indian market, if a good representation of the US market itself.

Hope the competition continues though, this has really helped android develop drastically. With phones getting progressively cheap and even a 15k smartphone being mostly a complete phone to now manufacturer like Samsung promising 4 years of updates, the competition has been a blessing for Android to become what it has today.
Competition and innovation is good. However, wish that Android manufacturers also keep carving a unique path rather than follow Apple's lead in imitating product features.

A major concern has been pricing for premium phones. OnePlus is a prime example and then Samsung always launches phones at the same price as Apple before reducing it by 20-30% within a couple of months. They end up fleecing customers rather than providing value for money, which has always been the USP for Android phones.

The problem with cheaper Android devices is the price you pay in terms of data collection and privacy, especially when using stock ROMs from Chinese manufacturers and even otherwise to Google.

Hopefully, Android finds a way to produce value across the entire spectrum.

Competition and innovation is good. However, wish that Android manufacturers also keep carving a unique path rather than follow Apple's lead in imitating product features.

A major concern has been pricing for premium phones. OnePlus is a prime example and then Samsung always launches phones at the same price as Apple before reducing it by 20-30% within a couple of months. They end up fleecing customers rather than providing value for money, which has always been the USP for Android phones.

The problem with cheaper Android devices is the price you pay in terms of data collection and privacy, especially when using stock ROMs from Chinese manufacturers and even otherwise to Google.

Hopefully, Android finds a way to produce value across the entire spectrum.
Apple hardly has any services people use. I am sure even in ios devices people will be sending more data to Google than they are sending to apple.

I 100% agree with you on opo and Samsung. I don't care for their phones and definitely think they are overpriced. Samsung is at least moving in the right direction with their m series (vs earlier j series) due to stiff competition. However opo has completely lost its way imo.

I would like to add one more point - its not just Apple who starts trends, even Samsung started the Note trend, and look where we are now. All phones are huge. I am sure there are other examples as well.

Coming to chargers - what we need is a way to unify all chargers under USB-PD. OnePlus did this with their 8T and with their 9R they remove the feature in their charger!

Back