The sony-az series hifi systems.

Yeah I went for the demo along with Nervz another TE member who's ordered his AZ7DM (for 35k i guess).

Looks really awesome, though you can get the AZ5D for 30k with everything except flash mem. playback.

Its identical to 7D even has USB streaming but only no mem stick support. Still it'll save u 5k ;)

Nice.So how was the demo?Did it have a good punch and clarity to it?And were the speakers stable and not vibrating like cheapstake ones do?

Yup i think shifting to az5d is a better option too.

The demo was great. The S Master Digital Amp makes a hell of a lot difference in clarity and there was no distortion in sound even at max volume. I asked the guy showing me the demo to turn the volume to max and he did so with a smile on his face. I asked him to play 4 tracks in particular (his smile widened:D ) that I had taken along with me on a cd namely, Rock (Forty Foot Echo-Drift):cool2: , Dance (Voodoo & Serano feat. Mark Aurel-Don't You Know:eek:hyeah: ), Trance (Paul Van Dyk-Transatlantic:hap2: ), and Celine Dion's Power Of Love for vocals. Did I like it??

Well I ordered the DHC-AZ7DM on the spot. I'm supposed to get it on Friday. :hap2:

^^Well if you could stand in front of the system with the volume maxed out, it means obviously the ratings are bloated :p. A true 500W system would cause eardrums to ache if you stand in front of it!

Nice.:D I had a demo of the 20,000 one and its performance was above mediocre(200 watt rms)

I ordered mine today,supposed to get it by day after tomorrow. (az7d)

I felt sony`s mhc models to have more punch than the 20,000 model though.

Nervz said:
Right you are
I just checked out the ratings and the drivers... The driver is a 6.5" in the sub which is rated at 180W. For comparison, my MX5021 also has the same 6.5" driver in the sub and its rated at 50W :p. If one has to produce 180W out of a tinny 6.5" driver, accuracy must be sacrificed or ratings must be bloated. Until I hear this thing, I cant comment on what they did. The same holds for the mids and rears... a single 3" driver rated at 50W whereas my MX5021 has dual 3" drivers and is rated at 20W. Strange I must say that sony can get away by cheating the customer like that :\. On top of that, it doesn't mention the SPL anywhere which is the real indicator of loudness.

I heard the AZ2D too and to be honest I wasn't happy at all with it. But listening to the AZ7DM was completely different. Was sitting atleast 20 feet away from the rack on which it was kept. The owner of the shop knows me well. He let me spread the speakers a bit for the demo. The stand alone sub woofer kicks rather than punching.

Well it also has a pmpo rating of 5800watts.So I say it must have the punch to give that kinda sound.

And i agree,They`re pretty small for that kinda rms ratings.And the general rule which holds for budget speakers is:the smaller the speakers the worse the sound.I read it in one of av max`s articles,they mentioned it in the review of the philips mcd series.

I`m gonna install them in my bed room.so I just need a good set rather than power.

Sounds great but the ratings are crap. Went with Nervz for the demo of the 20k one and it sounded very very mediocre.

Amazing feature set though and that's why I told Nervz to get it :D

Anish said:
Sounds great but the ratings are crap. Went with Nervz for the demo of the 20k one and it sounded very very mediocre.

Amazing feature set though and that's why I told Nervz to get it :D

you mean it doesn`t perform as much as a 530 watt one should? :(

I just now went to the dealer again.Listned and compared the 20k one with the MHC sony models.I must say,I found the 20k one to be better.

The difference is that.The sound from the az2d speakers depends on how you listen to them.If you focus them towards you,its good.But if you`re standing somewhere and the focus of those speakers is somewhere else,you`ll be sorry.So they work like your ordinary hometheaters.While,the mhc models work as general hi-fi systems.

Another thing,These bookshelf(front) speakers produce unnecesary noise.They exaggerate the unwanted sounds.A "sshhhhh" sound I noticed.Though I somehow managed to lessen it by decreasing the hi and mid eq settings.

Distortion noticed in all my test cds.

Linkin park-Hybrid theory,savage garden (note albumb 1 does not have a name) and bryan adams-room .

And also,The speakers did not give out every detail of the bryan adams cd,in this case the open road song .

I happen to know every detail of the song very well via my RS 2700+ philips clarity hp890 headphones

But I felt this system to be better than the rest of the hifi systems they had.

Provided I focus them towards me.Otherwise,the mhc models were way better.

All these cheap mass market mini compos produce a lot of sibilance. And please don't expect them to be accurate.
Are you looking for a surround system, or will a good quality stereo setup do? For 30K, you can get an awesome Norge setup, which will dance circles around this minicompo. They have a 80w amp for around 6.5K, and a floorstanding model for around 18.5K. Throw in a pioneer DVD player for the source, or better still, get a m-audio revo or audiotrak prodigy soundcard. You'll get killer sound.
Grow up. Mini compos are for kids.

I would if i could,but the thing is over here in visakhapatnam we don`t have any dealers with us.I know I`m complaining a lot for this kinda beginer lv product.At the moment we just wanted a good mini system in my bedroom.I had my eyes set on the Denon UD-M31/SC-M51,A top class 30k 50rms mini system.But as i said problem is with dealers.So had to resort to something else and there`s nothing better than the sony az one.And I had AN interest in the logitech z5500 speakers,but nah i don`t wanna spend even one more penny on anything comp related.

Anyway,I plan to visit bangalore in the summer and buy a full blast rs 100k+ HT with individual components.A H.K/denon av reciever,Warfedale/infinity floorstanding speakers and polk bookshelf speakers.Have to decide on the sub woofer.

Back