User Review The ultimate battery smartphone? Lenovo P770 unboxed and benchmarked

**Originally posted in my blog, I have removed a few images here to shorten load times**

A couple of years ago India’s leading car manufacturer ran an advertising campaign completely built on social insights and deep rooted in the ‘value’ ethos. ‘Kitna deti hai’ was the question asked for all possible vehicles. Be it a space shuttle to Mars or a $100 million yacht, it was the mileage that was of prime importance.
While not quite the same, I’m holding the Lenovo P770 phone box in my hand and I can’t help thinking about that. Why? Because of the amazing battery that comes in the box.

Why the Lenovo P770?
Retailing for about 14k rupees (about $250), this dual-sim phone features a mediatek dualcore 1.2GHz processor, 1GB ram, 4.5” IPS display with a resolution of 960x540(~245ppi), a 5MP primary camera, a VGA one in the front and comes with Android JellyBean 4.1. From most of the specs and price, it appears to be a decent mid range phone except for one massive difference. The battery is a whopping 3500mAh. Rated for 30 hours of talktime, it is perhaps the largest battery available on smartphones. (The galaxy note 2 for comparison has 3100mAh, the galaxy grand? 2100mAh and the micromax canvas HD comes with 2000mAh.)
If you constantly find yourself running out of charge before the end of the day, this phone is perhaps for you. Maybe it’s time to start asking the smartphone manufacturers the Maruti question… ‘Kitni battery life hai’?
Let’s see what’s in the box.

Lenovo P770 Unboxed:

The phone comes in an attractive black & orange box. Like all new smartphones, the box dimensions are just enough to fit the phone and the accessories under it.

P770 in the box
The box opens to reveal the phone, under the phone is a box of usual accessories: Battery, charger + USB to microUSB cable, a pair of headphones and one nice little surprise.. a USB OTG cable! (more on that later).

P770+Box_2.jpg

Inside the box (clockwise): Charger, USB cable, manual, headphones, battery & USB OTG cable

P770+box_3.jpg
The battery is the main hero here and it is massive! The phone weighs 161 grams and the battery accounts for 59 grams out of that!
The P770 Li-Ion battery is massive at 3500mAh

Initial impressions of the phone:
The build quality is nice and it looks like one would not need a case/cover for this. The screen does not have a gorilla glass but Lenovo claims it is scratch resistant. I think I’d get a screen protector anyway. The phone is available in only one color at the moment i.e. dark blue. It’s largely plastic but the back paint gives a nice brushed metal effect.
P770 straight out of the box. The screen protector is still on.

The P770 back has a brushed metal finish

On switching it on, you get a skinned version of Jelly Bean 4.1.1. Not my personal favorite but you can easily download a launcher from Google Play and fix that.
The homescreen on your first boot
There are few apps that come preinstalled: kingsoft office, accuweather, camcard, camscanner, chrome, facebook, handlight (torch), skype, sugarsync and UC browser. Lenovo has been good and does allow you to uninstall most of these. Only handlight didn’t show an uninstall option but then it’s only 8kb.

Benchmarks:
Antutu & quadrant scores on the P770 don’t disappoint nor do they surprise. They are exactly what can be expected out of a dual core device.Benchmarks:
Lenovo P770 Antutu score
In Antutu, the phone scored 7529 and in quadrant a respectable 3125.

But this phone isn’t a speed demon; it’s key selling point is its battery. Considering it’s a pretty large battery, I will run a few tests which will be covered in a few days. Other things I plan to write about are the camera quality & what that USB OTG cable can do. If you have any specific questions, do let me know...

*Edit #1: Have added some battery tests results in the thread below :Battery Tests

*Edit #2: Added the camera test results in the thread below: P770 Camera tests

This was really some quality review, else at some other places bloggers just put up the spec and some blah-blah...
But really thanks for this in-depth review! God bless![DOUBLEPOST=1371400484][/DOUBLEPOST] Few queries:
1- how is the 2G/3G data working, speed etc. for tasks like GPS, Email, Twitter etc.
2- have you tried any call recorder e.g. AllCallRecord etc , does it work? On many android phones the call recording doesn't work , e.g. Samsung Galaxy Y. Is it possible for you to try it and update.
3- is it possible to keep running the phone only on SIM2 slot without SIM1? I wanted to re-use the 3G SIM from my USB dongle (which I use very less due to mostly on broadband) and 3G can only work on SIM1..
Thanks!

^ Thanks mate.

To answer your questions:
1. Been only using my 2G/2GB plan on Airtel. Works okay.
2. The phone comes with a stock call recorder. It shows up along with the regular call features (end call, dialer, mute..). Used it to test a couple of times. Works without any annoying beep sounds that a lot of apps have.
3. Yes... only SIM 2 can work alone... However like you already said it'll be 2G only.

^ Thanks mate.

To answer your questions:
1. Been only using my 2G/2GB plan on Airtel. Works okay.
2. The phone comes with a stock call recorder. It shows up along with the regular call features (end call, dialer, mute..). Used it to test a couple of times. Works without any annoying beep sounds that a lot of apps have.
3. Yes... only SIM 2 can work alone... However like you already said it'll be 2G only.

Thanks a ton dear for such a fast reply!! God bless!!

@s_anuj how are games like Temple Run 2 and Fruit Ninja on this. The missus used the Xolo's and the MMX and said the 'touch' (aka responsiveness) wasn't too great on those. Only reason why I haven't pulled the trigger so far is that I have not been able to actually physically see the phone and want her to actually see/hold it before buying it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you have any problem while using GPS ?
I was buying this then came to know GPS does not gets locked , or takes to much time.
Can you just list all the problems you faced till now ?
Close shots form Camera are dis-ppointed because of the flash , but i don't click much .

Thanks.

The phone is available in brick & mortar stores depending on where you live.
e.g. in Pune it is available in many shops on JM Road (I was there yesterday).
I personally am waiting for the P770's replacement, the P780.

The phone is available in brick & mortar stores depending on where you live.
e.g. in Pune it is available in many shops on JM Road (I was there yesterday).
I personally am waiting for the P770's replacement, the P780.
Why? Is there anything wrong with the P770?
As far as I can see, the P770 is the best bang for the buck dual SIM phone in the 15k range.

Why? Is there anything wrong with the P770?
As far as I can see, the P770 is the best bang for the buck dual SIM phone in the 15k range.

Nothing wrong. He probably wants the upgrades the P780 is getting.

4.5" -> 5.0" screen
960x560 ->1280x720 res
3500mAh -> 4000mAh battery
5MP -> 8MP

*the tradeoff being higher cost & a larger phone. At <15k (or 13.4 on the Lenovo website; http://www.thedostore.com/p-series-p770-deep-blue-p770b.html), it's still a good buy.

P780 is still showing as 'coming soon'

hey anuj...nice review...just a quary abt this fon gaming experience and office pdf or ppt reading experience...just help me in finalising my fon @reliance store @12k...is it a gud deal??? or i may go to htc desire x for@15k at same store...plzz guide me dear

hey anuj...nice review...just a quary abt this fon gaming experience and office pdf or ppt reading experience...just help me in finalising my fon @reliance store @12k...is it a gud deal??? or i may go to htc desire x for@15k at same store...plzz guide me dear

12k seems to be a good deal for the P770. For Desire x I can see some deals @14k.

If you want a handy size, the desire x is slimmer and more pocketable.
P770 has *much* better battery, bigger screen, dual SIM and runs Jelly bean.

Back