There was a time...

Dhoom 3, Ready, dabaang 2..etc are also very good movies then since they earned more than 100 crores.

Haha I knew you were going to bring up something of this sort.

Metacritic score, normalized after multiple reviews

GTA III: 93
GTA VC: 94
GTA SA: 93
GTA IV: 90
GTA V: 96

People who just played few games in this series may find it good. But search the net or forums many hardcore GTA fans like us only find them okay.

Haha so many assumptions. I guess you will now say review scores don't matter.

People who just played few games in this series may find it good. But search the net or forums many hardcore GTA fans like us only find them okay. GTA V btw was better than GTA IV.Just incase if you want to know by subjective opinion.

I may not be hardcore fan.. but I remember completing GTA vice city more than 5~6 times.. GTA san andreas about 3~4 times.. GTA 4 twice..
GTA 5 thrice (once on xbox360, then on ps4 and now still playing on PC)..
I can say that GTA 5 was the best in the series..
And like @Jc36 stated before, due to advancement in technologies, there are so many wonderful mods for GTA 5 nowadays which make the game more fun..

Higher game sales do not make a game good or best!..It's like saying because all people watch sharkukh Khan movies his movies are best ...thr Gaming market these days is geared towards casual gamers and it ofcourse make business sense but all other arguments of games being better now is utter bull shit.

Higher game sales do not make a game good or best!..It's like saying because all people watch sharkukh Khan movies his movies are best ...thr Gaming market these days is geared towards casual gamers and it ofcourse make business sense but all other arguments of games being better now is utter bull shit.

What makes a game A better than game B? I provided numbers and review scores. Do you have any other points?

I don't believe in sales numbers and I don't believe in scores... they are a joke.. Some companies pay for the scores they are either biased or or interpreted for you by ppl who enforce their opinion of the experience..One website give 10 other gives 7 which one will you trust( this is why there are so many underrated games that dont sell well)..I dont want others to interpret what a good game is for me......I as a gamer am a judge of my experience based on all the games I played for 25 years of mylife and upon spending enough time collecting and playing them for hours have with my insights concluded they are getting worse..sadly we cannot concur as you are purely going by stats and you think rehashed games are better than the original franchise games...all big franchises have gone down the drain in last 10 year..too many to list...I dont have stats cos I dont need them!

I would disagree with the word rehashed thrown around so much, but as you say, we are own judge through our experience. Some of the past franchises have been somewhat lacking in quality, yes, Andromeda being the latest example. There are some who still maintain quality. But now we also have new IPs and franchises showing up and filling in the void.

I too like @uber like GTA Vice City a lot and think it is the best in the series. Not from a technical stand point and this thread was never about games becoming technically regressive but about the practices adopted by game developers.

Let me quickly say why I like GTA Vice City the best. A fantastic balls to walls character but at the same time not crazy like Trevor. The setting in the 80s, the radio content (seriously no other GTA game has talk shows as good as this or music). This was a time when Rockstar was not trying to be super realistic in car, combat physics or character emotions. Things started to change since SA when they started to make the character more relatable and tried to paint the character as a goody 2 shoes. GTA Vice City simply was a fun game to boot and play for hours. GTA V is far superior in the amount of details it has, the stuff that you can do etc but it I don't know why but just doesn't feel like the old laid back GTA. It is hard to describe why. This is all personal preference though. I pre-ordered GTA V for the PS3 and again bought it on Steam. I like GTA V but I love GTA Vice City. Post writing this and mentioning my thoughts on the race today I think I will drive around Vice City and listen to Fernando and the music on his radio station.

Back to topic -
I bought a copy of Final Fantasy 4 : The Complete Collection for my PSP. You get a bunch of stuff with it a cleaning cloth for your PSP, a few cards with character artwork and a cardboard case with a pouch for it all. Similarly I have KOF 13 Deluxe Edition for PS3 which includes an extra CD containing Art work for the game and a 2 sided cover for the box.

What you do get in this case is the complete game. If you buy a regular edition you don't get the artwork or cleaning cloth but you get the same content on disc.

This is why I hate the day one edition or special edition or season pass etc. They are selling content not included in the main game but charging you for the whole game plus more for some of these extras. Want to buy Watch Dogs 2... there are 6 different versions. Battlefield or CoD they are no exceptions to this confusing bundle choices. You want to buy Mafia 3, do you buy the season pass with it? Oh wait the game runs like crap out of the box and you need to download a bunch of patches.

Today if I buy a disc of a recent game then not the entire content is on it and you need to download a bunch of it from steam, uplay whatever... The codes once activated remain locked to one account. So tomorrow if I give my kid a game I bought I will have to give him access to my account so that he can play the game. But what if the server has disappeared? What happens then?
Example -
Motorstorm Arctic Edge allows you to download a free DLC car for your PSP. Guess what Sony withdrew support for PSP and you can't download it anymore. The only way to do it now is if you have a PS3 if you already have it in your download list. Then download it to PS3 and transfer it to PSP. Wipeout Pulse... There's no way to get it now.

So today you buy a non regular version of a console game. It comes with a bunch of codes. You activate them and then when you try to sell that game it isn't special no more.
So today you see all the day one goodies and buy the game. The game comes out half a$$ed and you need to wait for a bunch of patches to fix it. Tomorrow you try to sell it and the servers with patches don't exist anymore... How does the buyer play a broken game. Of course on PC you might find ways of doing it unofficially but how do you do that on a console?

Basically what I was trying to say is today a lot of games that come out, come out in a form that are more focused on helping the developers make as much money as possible but at the same time not give the customer the joy of simply popping in the disc of popping in the disc and playing. In that sense the last gen of consoles started out well but ended with this trend and now this is the trend.

What is scary is that this trend is deemed acceptable by many.

I too like @uber like GTA Vice City a lot and think it is the best in the series. Not from a technical stand point and this thread was never about games becoming technically regressive but about the practices adopted by game developers.

Let me quickly say why I like GTA Vice City the best. A fantastic balls to walls character but at the same time not crazy like Trevor. The setting in the 80s, the radio content (seriously no other GTA game has talk shows as good as this or music). This was a time when Rockstar was not trying to be super realistic in car, combat physics or character emotions. Things started to change since SA when they started to make the character more relatable and tried to paint the character as a goody 2 shoes. GTA Vice City simply was a fun game to boot and play for hours. GTA V is far superior in the amount of details it has, the stuff that you can do etc but it I don't know why but just doesn't feel like the old laid back GTA. It is hard to describe why. This is all personal preference though. I pre-ordered GTA V for the PS3 and again bought it on Steam. I like GTA V but I love GTA Vice City. Post writing this and mentioning my thoughts on the race today I think I will drive around Vice City and listen to Fernando and the music on his radio station.

Back to topic -
I bought a copy of Final Fantasy 4 : The Complete Collection for my PSP. You get a bunch of stuff with it a cleaning cloth for your PSP, a few cards with character artwork and a cardboard case with a pouch for it all. Similarly I have KOF 13 Deluxe Edition for PS3 which includes an extra CD containing Art work for the game and a 2 sided cover for the box.

What you do get in this case is the complete game. If you buy a regular edition you don't get the artwork or cleaning cloth but you get the same content on disc.

This is why I hate the day one edition or special edition or season pass etc. They are selling content not included in the main game but charging you for the whole game plus more for some of these extras. Want to buy Watch Dogs 2... there are 6 different versions. Battlefield or CoD they are no exceptions to this confusing bundle choices. You want to buy Mafia 3, do you buy the season pass with it? Oh wait the game runs like crap out of the box and you need to download a bunch of patches.

Today if I buy a disc of a recent game then not the entire content is on it and you need to download a bunch of it from steam, uplay whatever... The codes once activated remain locked to one account. So tomorrow if I give my kid a game I bought I will have to give him access to my account so that he can play the game. But what if the server has disappeared? What happens then?
Example -
Motorstorm Arctic Edge allows you to download a free DLC car for your PSP. Guess what Sony withdrew support for PSP and you can't download it anymore. The only way to do it now is if you have a PS3 if you already have it in your download list. Then download it to PS3 and transfer it to PSP. Wipeout Pulse... There's no way to get it now.

So today you buy a non regular version of a console game. It comes with a bunch of codes. You activate them and then when you try to sell that game it isn't special no more.
So today you see all the day one goodies and buy the game. The game comes out half a$$ed and you need to wait for a bunch of patches to fix it. Tomorrow you try to sell it and the servers with patches don't exist anymore... How does the buyer play a broken game. Of course on PC you might find ways of doing it unofficially but how do you do that on a console?

Basically what I was trying to say is today a lot of games that come out, come out in a form that are more focused on helping the developers make as much money as possible but at the same time not give the customer the joy of simply popping in the disc of popping in the disc and playing. In that sense the last gen of consoles started out well but ended with this trend and now this is the trend.

What is scary is that this trend is deemed acceptable by many.
well, you have to be creative here. There are ways, where you can still "pop a disc in" and start playing. Heck, you can share it with others too! :p

Digital vs disc based distribution is a topic by itself. Scratched discs are not fun.

I have disc version of DiRT Rally. The game despite installation from disc starts downloading from internet. I thought to myself what was the point and downloaded the entire 26 GB from steam itself.

At least on PC a physical copy has almost become moot. Some games only have 2 or 3 GB worth content on disc and you need to download the rest from internet. I think Final Fantasy XIII was like that. So what is the point of getting the disc? Also what if you put in the disc a few years from now?

Physical copies are just a box to display on the shelf now, with some items like maps and guides if the publisher feel like it. This is indeed a pain point for people with small data limits. It's like when I bought Oblivion disc in 2007, it was written "Internet Required for activation". I thought wtf, what if someone doesn't have internet, my el cheapo net at that time was really crappy, uptime of 10 days/month. But I was the exception, not the norm. This is similar, people just use the key to activate and download the game files in 20-30 mins. Which is why EA doesn't even provide a disc anymore for some PC games.

Looks like many have invested in rose tinted nostalgia goggles. This discussion is done to death. Its been done for every form of popular media. Games were better in the past, music is not like it used to be, movies back then had real heart. What people forget was that shitty games were made back then too. For every Planescape Torment, there were tons of shitty derivative, copy cat games which no one remembers now. Its no different now. Also, people have grown up. What was new and exciting back then seems jaded now. Ten years from now, you will see people being nostalgic about GTA5/Witcher 3/Minecraft/Terraria/ etc. For them, their first GTA would be GTA5 and there would be posts about how it is FACT that GTA5 is the best and any other that came after that was derivative/money-grab/copy-cat/trash etc.

The good thing now is that games are much more accessible. It is so easy to find new games and play them now. Back then, your local CD shop would stock a select few and you had to like it. Now, every new game is instantly available along with the massive back catalog. I much prefer the way things are right now. This is the best time to be a gamer.

Have to agree to pretttt. Back then it was a very few game available and you replayed them like anything. Even the bad ones. Now there is more games accessible and available. And a lot more Indie games too. I guess time to move on from the past and look towards the future
while we wait for HL3 :D

Discussion was concluded very well until you put some irrelevant points again (I mean if I am understanding them correctly). When far cry 3 came out how many people said oh far cry 1 was so good & better than 3? How people gave positive reviews for resident evil 7? Resident evil 6 was bad & people accepted that. How people liked bioshock infinite then? People do remember bad games too. If someone follows your view then I have to say people are not liking mass effect Andromeda because they are nostalgic about the first game?
Again(I don't know how many times I have to repeat) this thread is ONLY about QUALITY of the games NO other things, then why are you mentioning about the availability. I will not post anything regarding that because it is offtopic.
Btw as you grow your judgement of what is good & what is bad increases too. Maybe you have played a bad game 10 times when you started playing games. But after few years when you have played plenty I am sure you will find that game you played 10 times was not that good.

Last example: We DONT love GTA vice city ONLY due to nostalgia. We love it because of the reasons prabs has stated. Masterpieces are only created once.

Last edited:
@uber
Don't take it too personally dude. My reply was more to the OP which was reminiscing about this certain "time" when games were amazing, not derivative etc etc. What I'm saying is that this is just an illusion. Great games were made then and they are made now also. Shitty games were made then and are made now too. And it will continue the same way in future also. I only mentioned accessibility because last few posts were complaining about digital distribution and having to download huge patches. I can see how it can be an issue, but for me that is a worthwhile trade-off for being able to access an unending stream of games catering to every niche.

Not sure what your point is about FarCry3, Bioshock Infinite etc. Also, no, I did not play a bad game 10 times, lol. Like, why would I even play a bad game more than once? :confused:

Btw, GTA Vice City is my favorite GTA too. Also about this line "Masterpieces are only created once", what does this even mean? You mean there has not been any game since GTA Vice City that you would call a masterpiece? If yes, then what exactly is the criteria? I mean I have played several games that I have enjoyed much more since then.

Back