CPU/Mobo Thermal Compound - how important?

True. I've said this repeatedly, don't obsess about lapping and thermal compound unless you're removing the heatspreader from the CPU, because the heatsink is anyway the second thermal interface with the 'real' CPU die.

Thermal compound and micro-flatness was important in the days of the exposed CPU die. Today, it's a degree here and there.

AS5 is worth it nowadays, hardly 250 per tube. anything more than 250 for a tube seems pointless.

Hey guys,

It matters which TIM u use. I used the stock one that came with my proc & it gave me 48 on load but after applying Cooler Master HTK002, the temp has come down to around 44. I am ordering AS5 & it's sure gonna bring it further down. Apply a good thermal compound on a VGA and u'll see hell more of it.

That's the reality.:eek:hyeah:

If you're comparing to the stock paste, that's because of application technique of the paste (namely: none, it's normally preapplied), not the thermal compound properties. Change out the compound to generic white paste (with proper layer application) and you're not going to see anything more than a degree or two rise in temperature, if that.

That is the reality.

the difference between generic paste and others is that generic paste is SILICONE PASTE...the others are based on metal particulates.....

once u used the coolermaster paste clown abhi, the AS mx-2 wont make much of a difference

i'm getting an arctic cooling freezer 7 pro from KMD which has AS MX-1 pre-applied :D

Back